Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend installed the new forge dv on his audi a4 it took him 7 hours! Mainly because the instruction were for the mkv. The difference in throttle response is night and day. He did not notice any difference in boost increase or holding boost better without bleeding but who knows he just got it done. some people say that it does hold more boost and it holds it better but thats probably because there dv was leaking or fucked up somehow...let me know guys if it was easy to install?and pictures of how to install would be greatly appreciated! O0

·
Registered
277 Posts
Sweet.....its on the list of mods, 7 hours is a lil rediculous....this should be a hour install or around there. I doubt I'll get one installed by the time you want, but when I do I'll take pics, write up install instructions and post them on my site.....

Def wanna do this before I chip it.....

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
where u from? well it took long because he had to change some things because the set up is different on a a4. yea it's a must have

·
Registered
277 Posts
manricky said:
where u from? well it took long because he had to change some things because the set up is different on a a4. yea it's a must have
I'm in MA....yeah totally understandable, tough when using a diff platform instructions to install something

GTfly said:
im happy enough with my next to unbreakable HKS SSQV
Do you have a linky to what/where you bought, I wanna check it out........ 8)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i would say forge is more reliable and if your not happy you can simply return it and get refunded.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I'm going with Forge now that they have the DV kit for MkV's. I prefer diverter over blowoff. I certainly don't see the need for making it any louder/more ostentatious than it needs to be.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yeah, I'd go with a DV too, but I like to read up on everything so I was ask'n about the blowoff everything has it's advantages/disadvantages ;D

·
Registered
857 Posts
Going to order mine before any other mods. Hopefully I'll order APR exhaust and Neuspeed P-flo this week also. Then once all three are installed I'll go get her chipped.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
scans007 said:
Yeah, I'd go with a DV too, but I like to read up on everything so I was ask'n about the blowoff everything has it's advantages/disadvantages ;D
That's a good question, it just seems some turbo engine designers prefer a DV over a BOV. They both have the same function and I never really saw any advantage other than using a BOV in-place of a DV it may interfere with the MAS (thus throwing CELs).

According to Wikipedia: The unique sound caused by a blowoff valve (but not a compressor bypass valve) sometimes comes at a price. On a car with a mass airflow sensor, doing this confuses the engine control unit (ECU) of the car. The ECU is told it has a specific amount of air in the intake system, and injects fuel accordingly. The amount of air released by the blowoff valve is not taken into consideration and the engine runs rich for a period of time. Engines with a manifold absolute pressure regulated ECU are not affected.

Typically this isn't a major issue, but sometimes it can lead to hesitation or stalling of the engine when the throttle is closed. This situation worsens with higher boost pressures. Eventually this can foul spark plugs and destroy the catalytic converter (when running rich, not all the fuel is burned which can heat up on and melt the converter).

·
Registered
277 Posts
Dragon said:
scans007 said:
That's a good question, it just seems some turbo engine designers prefer a DV over a BOV. They both have the same function and I never really saw any advantage other than using a BOV in-place of a DV it may interfere with the MAS (thus throwing CELs).

According to Wikipedia: The unique sound caused by a blowoff valve (but not a compressor bypass valve) sometimes comes at a price. On a car with a mass airflow sensor, doing this confuses the engine control unit (ECU) of the car. The ECU is told it has a specific amount of air in the intake system, and injects fuel accordingly. The amount of air released by the blowoff valve is not taken into consideration and the engine runs rich for a period of time. Engines with a manifold absolute pressure regulated ECU are not affected.

Typically this isn't a major issue, but sometimes it can lead to hesitation or stalling of the engine when the throttle is closed. This situation worsens with higher boost pressures. Eventually this can foul spark plugs and destroy the catalytic converter (when running rich, not all the fuel is burned which can heat up on and melt the converter).
Yeah 100% it's all about what the engine needs.......this car def only needs a DV, having anything blow'n off/release'n hurts performace. (unless turbo is upgraded and backpressure needs to be released) My old ride had to have a blowoff (stage 2 +....people's Top Mount intercoolers were blow'n seals cuz of the extra pressure that wasn't released...)

GTFly - did you notice any loss in boost? how are you running it? Besides the cool pssssst, do you notice any other +'s.....I'd be real curious to see your numbers.....you have a datalogger?

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
scans007 said:
GTFly - did you notice any loss in boost? how are you running it? Besides the cool pssssst, do you notice any other +'s.....I'd be real curious to see your numbers.....you have a datalogger?
Other +'s like- always knowing the LEDs work in the CEL? :p >:D

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
the more i look into it the more i think you are going to need a jack or lift to do it. its located under the car i believe.

·
Registered
277 Posts
GTfly said:
the more i look into it the more i think you are going to need a jack or lift to do it. its located under the car i believe.
My bentley Manual came in, I've been searching high and low for where the DV is, and how to install it, but the only thing I can find is the recirculation valve....are they the same thing? Searching for Diverter Valve returns nothing.....I can find everything else though...

·
Registered
749 Posts
If the recirc valve is installed on the turbo housing, then it's the same. I think the stock DV has three screws mounting it to the turbo housing and an electrical connector on the back.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.