Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent way too many hours on this site, but since I'm getting my fast shortly (T-minus 3 days, 5 hours and 49 minutes) I have a series of mods I am lining up:

Tint ( & maybe clear bra)
AI Kit - Neuspeed
Exhaust/Downpipe - ??????

I want to add exhaust and downpipe but I am not sure which one of the many discussed to go with, especially because I do not want to CHIP anytime soon or ever probably as I plan on keeping my Fast for a long time and I don't want to do anything to take away from the Turbo or Engine lifetime.

Considering tha tI won't be chipping, which brand is best for me? I mean if I am not chipping it maybe a Downpipe does nothing for me or vice versa with a Cat back?

any ideas?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I know that APR specifically notes the VW stock 2.5" downpipe/exhaust breathes as good as any performance setup without chipping. But I'm with you on the exhaust replacement. I'd like it a little louder. I guess I would just do the cat-back setup and spend the other $500 on more cool stuff like an ITG intake and some sport springs.

Otherwise an old VW trick is to simply cut out the resonator (mid-muffler) and replace it with a straight segment. If I'm going to replace my stock exhaust anyway, I'd be tempted to give this a shot first.

Techtonics has made VW exhaust with Borla mufflers for many years, you can get it with or without the mid-muffler, both sound great. APR makes great stuff but pricey. Autotech makes a cheap stainless exhaust with magnaflow mufflers. Without the chip you'll notice almost no gain, but it'll sound great (I only worry about things being too loud, I prefer a little subtlety until around 5000rpm)

·
Registered
749 Posts
One other thing you do rather than replacing the whole system is to get a high-flow cat. It tends to be the biggest restriction anyway. Be careful about getting a direct fit and research to find if anyone's had CEL issues as a performance cat may tend to run a little cooler and throw off the rear O2 sensor reading.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
BlueFrogPosse said:
One other thing you do rather than replacing the whole system is to get a high-flow cat. It tends to be the biggest restriction anyway. Be careful about getting a direct fit and research to find if anyone's had CEL issues as a performance cat may tend to run a little cooler and throw off the rear O2 sensor reading.
Just FYI the turbo back Neuspeed has a 200 cell hi-flow cat, that so far has had no issues with CELs for me. Plus it sounds good.

If anything get the clear bra first, it's paid for it self numerous times. O0

·
Registered
8 Posts
I asked a couple of engineers at work who are very knowledgeable about everything from IC engines to jet engines. I asked if I should change the oil in my new GTI after the 500 mile mark because I heard there would be small metal shavings in the oil from the break in. Both engineers immediately told me that I do not have to worry. They said metal shavings used to be an issue when the cylinders were milled less precisely; things are so much more precise now that it is no longer an issue. In addition to that, they said VW breaks the engines in and changes the oil before they ever arrive at the dealers.

That is not to say you should ignore the break in instructions in the manual. I just passed the 600 mile mark and I am so happy that I can finally start to push the engine a little. Next stop 1000 miles!

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Flug said:
I asked a couple of engineers at work who are very knowledgeable about everything from IC engines to jet engines. I asked if I should change the oil in my new GTI after the 500 mile mark because I heard there would be small metal shavings in the oil from the break in. Both engineers immediately told me that I do not have to worry. They said metal shavings used to be an issue when the cylinders were milled less precisely; things are so much more precise now that it is no longer an issue. In addition to that, they said VW breaks the engines in and changes the oil before they ever arrive at the dealers.

That is not to say you should ignore the break in instructions in the manual. I just passed the 600 mile mark and I am so happy that I can finally start to push the engine a little. Next stop 1000 miles!

Hope this helps.
VW performs a "run-in" on the motors before they leave. Ask your engineer friends what they think about synthetic oil lasting 10K miles in a small turbo charged engine. O0

·
Registered
8 Posts
"Run in". That's what they called it! When I made the post this morning I could not remember anything but the 'in' half. :p

I'll ask them when I see them Monday.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I spoke to the engineer this morning (He has been on vacation most of the week). He is a quality engineer. He owns his own garage/smog shop. He said the car will be fine for 10,000 miles but would suggest changing the oil filter every 3k to 5k miles. The synthetic oil will last for 10,000 miles; especially if the filter is being changed every 5,000. He noted that if you live in an area with extreme conditions it would be better to increase the frequency of the oil changes.

Hope this helpsÂ… O0

1 - 9 of 9 Posts