Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

We recently ordered a VW GTI 2008, Automatic, 4 doors from a local dealer in Kansas and we are really in need of your expert advices. Here are the details:

1. This GTI took a little over 2 weeks to arrive (they said they picked it from a port). They called us when the car arrived; we were very excited, dropped by to have a quick look then left; it was in the evening and was pretty cold. The dealer promised to deliver the car the next day evening.

I recalled when I bought my Lexus RX-330 in late 2003, the new Lexus had tapes all over to prevent scratches during shipping. This GTI had NO tapes anywhere (both inside and outside).

We dropped by the next day evening and learned the followings:

a) The car has yellow stain spots all over, everywhere; front, back, sides (more heavily toward the front); the yellow stain that has the look like rust; everywhere. We complained to them that we didn't expect a new car to be like that. They apparently only did a normal car-wash on the car and did not do anything else i.e. waxing, engine checks,...

b) The car now has a scratch on the driver's door; the scratch you normally see when another car open the door and hit this car.

c) The car has 25 miles on it.

They said they would do a wax on the car, paint the scratch and asked us to return the next day evening.

2. We returned and learned that they now cleaned the car; still has little yellow rust spots here and there; and that they just did a PDI on the car in the afternoon.

It looked okay so we paid the cash and took the car home. After reading the manual, we learned that they didn't even fill in the guarantee date and put dealer stamp in it.

3. When they sold us the car, they promised to tint the windows at no cost. The package they would use would be commercial tint, which costs something like $299; has life time guarantee against scratches, bubbles, peeling,…

We brought the car back the next Monday for windows tinting => checked back to pickup the car the next Tuesday and learned that the tint had a lot of bubbles and big peelings along the edges. We were there with the sales lady so she brought it back to service department => they promised to re-tint => we returned the next day and learned that there were about 5 1-to-2 inches scratches on the back two windows => they re-tint => we returned the next day => same scratches although they promised that they would carefully check it before calling us to return => we now called up their manager, they all looked and promised a re-tint => they called yesterday saying the windows glass has scratches on them and need to be replaced, they ordered the glass and it will arrive tomorrow.

I heard the manager saying to the service advisor: "We should have done it right in the first place huh […then] laughing". They apparently have put low quality tint on the windows instead of the $299 commercial tint which they promised.

I was very excited at first buying this car for my wife but we are not feeling proud of owning this car anymore. Would you please advice us what we should do or have the dealer do to ensure that we indeed got a brand-new car, that it was completely checked,…? It is hard to believe that the new car has yellow spots, wasn't gone through initial complete checks, not just one but many windows glass scratches (nobody no why there were scratches)?

We also do not know what will be unfold next on this car. I am very sorry for the long post and please help us with your expert advices. Greatly appreciated!

Stephen

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Wow... what a horrible experience.

I feel for you. I guess you were unfortunate enough to go to one really bad dealer.

I don't know what can be done. Possible call Volkswagen of America and see if they can help sort things out.

Just wait a bit, until one of our more experienced members (hopefully Fast Freddie) reads this and I'm sure they'll set you on the right track.

·
Ex-Fahrenheit GTI Owner
1,312 Posts
Agree...I would definitely call VW of USA directly and explain your frustration.

Did you talk with the Director of Sales at the dealership already?

Also, give us the name and location of the dealership so other members are advised about their techniques. (mouth-to-mouth is still the best advertising, in this case: negative advertising)

Sorry to hear about your crappy experience...I don't think I would have taken the car home in the first place until it was completely A-OK.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
do u have another vw dealership you could visit close by u?

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Wow... that sucks. I'd be pissed. Call VW of America first.

As far as the tape: Yes, it is normally shipped to the dealer with the tape on... the dealer either removed the tape or the car was shipped from another dealer.

The yellow spots sound like rail dust from shipping. Call a professional detailer who knows how to remove rail dust- it requires a mild acid bath + sanding and then a full paint sealant/wax applied. I don't suggest you try this on your own: http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/reference/troubleshooting_guide/rail_dust/index.cfm

The tint... let them re-tint it and at the same time, check with some of your friends or local forums on who does the best tint.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=123828Volkswagen of America To Rev Up Customer Service With New Management Post

Date posted: 12-04-2007
AUBURN HILLS, Mich. - Volkswagen of America took a major step toward improving customer service with the announcement that it has set up a new customer care post that kicks off January 1. Matthias Seidl, a longtime VW executive, is the new Volkswagen of America director of customer care.

Volkswagen of America spokesman Keith Price told Inside Line that the new post "will up the notch of consumer service and improve the experience." Seidl "will take the customer call center to a new level," Price added.

In a statement on Monday, VW explained: "The objective of this new post is to build and optimize individual customer relationships, strategically invest resources to support these relationships, in support of the aggressive United States growth plans for the Volkswagen Group."

Seidl is a linchpin of this effort, since he worked closely with VW's U.S. dealers in his most recent job as chief operating officer for the VW brand.

The new VW post is similar to the one recently established by Chrysler. In late October, Doug Betts was named Chrysler vice president and chief customer officer.

What this means to you: Starting next year, you should feel like you're getting more attention from VW if you call with a problem or a question.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much everyone. Unfortunately, there is only one dealer here and it is

Steven Volkswagen
11211 E. Kellogg
Wichita, KS 67207

When ordering, we did request the car to be brand new, not from another dealer and they did confirm that they pulled the car from a "port"? I am thinking if from another dealer, it wouldn't have the rail dust but if it was new, it would have tapes on it.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
If the protective film is on during transport, you can still get some rail dust. The ones I have seen being unloaded by the dealer off the truck, generally have the wrap on them. My brother insisted on driving home with his still on the car, and the door sills on his 06 still has the tape on it.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
In all honesty,
Despite the excitement of buying a new car, this just goes to show how important it is to make sure that everything is PERFECT before handing over the cash. Once you've purchased the vehicle, and or financed it, it's over. It's unfortunate that this happens still, especially because this dealership knows that there aren't any others in the area. It's a shame really.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts