Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I was hoping someone could provide input on this. Well...I've got a brand new black '08 GTI and yesterday I parked it underneath an old pine tree. (stupid move) Anyways, I emerge from my office 12 hours later and I've got pine needles literally covering the whole bloody car...in the window slots, in the grill, everywhere. The occasional sap mark too. CRAP!!!! So I spent last night and this morning trying to spray down and vacuum out the needles. I was able to get most of them out. 1st, since I'm new to VW, do the window slots have some sort of debris catcher in them or something? Hate to think there are pine needles permanently taking a ride with me. Second, is there an easy way to reach behind the engine to clean, especially around the shock towers. Finally, any good tip on removing sap marks? Thanks, and I think I'm going to go burn down that tree!
;D

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Wash it with warm water and dawn dish detergent. Get a clay bar and remove any sap left over. Apply a good quality wax like NXT (or Zaino AIO and seal with ZCS).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK Dragon,

I'll definitely try that out. Don't see how dish detergent could harm my car's finish. Got any ideas on the needles in the windows issue? Thanks.

:)

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
sick08Trick said:
OK Dragon,

I'll definitely try that out. Don't see how dish detergent could harm my car's finish. Got any ideas on the needles in the windows issue? Thanks.

:)
The dishwashing detergent will strip clean the clearcoat. That means any wax on the paint will be gone. I don't recommend using Dawn as a regular carwash- only to strip wax and any contaminants.

The needles in the window issue: I'd go with a good quality car cover or having the tree chopped down. Please don't burn the tree. Only you can prevent forest fires.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Living in Northern California has its perks. using Goo-gone and a fine touch with a razor worked for me. I would use the edge of the blade do not use the whole thing for if you do the edge will catch in the patch and you will be left with a bigger mess.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I've got some real bad caked on tree crap on my hood and roof from years of parking it outside and not cleaning it often enough (I handwash it weekly now and keep it parked underground). Anyway, no amount of washing will get it off and I've used the automotive goo-gone spray with only marginal success (and worrying that I could be doing irreperable damage to the finish). Does anyone have any suggestions? Like this stuff is really caked on there bad, like it's become one with the paint.

I've been considering just getting the car completely repainted as a solution. That could get expensive though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts