Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PO punched a hole in the trans case, patched it, traded it in... then I bought it. I had it patched again in the past five years I have had it but it is leaking again and it is time to bite the bullet and get another trans. $2500 for the trans, clutch, and labor on top of the other $1200 I needed to put in to pass inspection (rt fr wheel bearing, lt rr wheel bearing, e-brake cable, tire, oil change, & dip stick f'n broke) $3700 later my wife is pretty much saying it is either her or the car... How do I break it to her?

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Wife is forcing you to choose?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wife is forcing you to choose?
Not in so many words. She has always had Honda's and Toyota's and doesn't understand the love one can have for a VW.

"I love VW's... I LOVE 'EM! But not as much as I love PU55Y!"

She'll get over it... right? There is no way in hell I am getting a Civic!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It only has 130k on it, I have put a bunch of money into it.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Yours dsg or manual? Force her to drive it for a week and her mind might just change... Though I'm not certain you'll get it back lol.

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
how much you want for it?

might be interested

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yours dsg or manual? Force her to drive it for a week and her mind might just change... Though I'm not certain you'll get it back lol.
6 speed. I keep trying to let her drive it, she's intimidated.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
6 speed. I keep trying to let her drive it, she's intimidated.
Her leaving you because you refuse to own a Honda is a bit outrageous. I just convinced my gf to buy VW. She loves it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
how much you want for it?

might be interested
It looks like the car is worth around $5000 (according to KBB), but I see them going for around $6-6500. If it needs $2500 for the trans I guess I would ask around $3-3500. But that is a last resort.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
It looks like the car is worth around $5000 (according to KBB), but I see them going for around $6-6500. If it needs $2500 for the trans I guess I would ask around $3-3500. But that is a last resort.
He'd get a trans himself and swap it, costs way less lol

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
ehh

dont have 3k for a car right now

yea ill do all the work myself

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Her leaving you because you refuse to own a Honda is a bit outrageous. I just convinced my gf to buy VW. She loves it.
She had a mid '90's Jetta back in the day and loved driving it, but didn't like the $ it took to maintain it.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
She had a mid '90's Jetta back in the day and loved driving it, but didn't like the $ it took to maintain it.
Expensive when you have to pay someone else. The parts aren't all that expensive. I could probably pay for all of your repairs for the 2500$ they said it would cost for the trans.

That's what most of us here do, fix all out problems. I rewired my gfs comfort control module then painted a wrecked quarter panel. Not stuff for the average mechanic, but if you take your time...

Point I'm trying to make is invest in some decent tools and the Bentley or Haynes manual and do what ya can.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Expensive when you have to pay someone else. The parts aren't all that expensive. I could probably pay for all of your repairs for the 2500$ they said it would cost for the trans.

That's what most of us here do, fix all out problems. I rewired my gfs comfort control module then painted a wrecked quarter panel. Not stuff for the average mechanic, but if you take your time...

Point I'm trying to make is invest in some decent tools and the Bentley or Haynes manual and do what ya can.
Wish I could. I don't have the time or the space. I live in a 2 bedroom apartment outside of Philly, I work 9-6 and go home so my wife can work from 8-12. When I work she watches our son and vice versa. I have a friend here that is always telling me the same thing, "Get the tools, I'll help ya." One of these days I'll have time and space to get my hands dirty.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Mk4? how did you patch it? I would think with a little skill you could drain the fluid and pre-heat the case then weld a patch plate in there as long as it is not in a structural/mechanical bearing location. $100-200 vs 2500..

pics please
Mkiv and it's aluminum

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Wish I could. I don't have the time or the space. I live in a 2 bedroom apartment outside of Philly, I work 9-6 and go home so my wife can work from 8-12. When I work she watches our son and vice versa. I have a friend here that is always telling me the same thing, "Get the tools, I'll help ya." One of these days I'll have time and space to get my hands dirty.
Hey I feel ya. My wife and I have been doing the same thing for the last 10 yrs. Haha. I get home and give her a high five and she's off to work.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts