Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sold on the GTI. For the price and performance and how it feels to drive you can't beat it. Unfortunetly I need my father to co sign for the loan. He does't care about the performance and handling. He wants to know about reliability and repairs needed over time. I am looking at a baseline model Manual with the only option being the Ipod hook up. Please help me make this purchase. I need reviews of the MKV with miles on them. not 5k. like 20k+. Thank you. PS/ the reason for this is that J.D. Power gave the GTI a not so great mechanical reliability rating as for other things.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Sorry I don't have 20,000 miles on my car. I have 8,000. So far I haven't had any mechanical problems at all. I had some updates done (such as the Launch Control and things like that). I have my airbag light on that I need to get fixed, but nothing else. I beat on my engine pretty hard. It's not a constant beating, but when i do, I DO. I don't have any modifications done to the engine at all either.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I've got 15K....I have a (comparably) heavily modified car. I commute a long way to work and I occasionally autocross. (That means I beat the living crap outta my clutch and brakes.) I have done pretty much everything that leads to failures. To date I have only had an issue with the diverter valve and I caused that by chipping and altering the stock air input.

I hate the JD power poll...ask Uncle Dude, ;D It does not reflect reality. If anything went wrong it shows up on the poll regardless of how serious it was. Not to mention that poll is based off of a spanking new un-bugged model (then 2006). All new models need de-bugging....VW has their crap together and the MKV is a masterpiece for the price.

Have your father IM me, I'd be happy to give him the low down. O0

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.