Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice with my '07. The CEL came on the other day and I noticed some power loss. The CEL went away. In a moment of retardation, I relapsed into a previous point in my life and turned the ignition key on and off 3 times fast, thinking I was suddenly behind the wheel of an 90's Chrysler or something. The CEL went away but I did not get any sort of "code", I believe. It has not come back on since, but I have a considerable amount of power loss. The car also uses some oil, about which I'm not too concerned. I just want to know, how much is typical? Input greatly appreciated. Car is stock.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Lonwheels said:
I need some advice with my '07. The CEL came on the other day and I noticed some power loss. The CEL went away. In a moment of retardation, I relapsed into a previous point in my life and turned the ignition key on and off 3 times fast, thinking I was suddenly behind the wheel of an 90's Chrysler or something. The CEL went away but I did not get any sort of "code", I believe. It has not come back on since, but I have a considerable amount of power loss. The car also uses some oil, about which I'm not too concerned. I just want to know, how much is typical? Input greatly appreciated. Car is stock.
Lon- do a search for "limp mode"that may explain your power loss. When did the CEL come on (at idle, cruising or WOT)? First thing to do is find a friend with VAG-Com (or buy it yourself) and see what codes are stored in the ECU.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The light came on, and stayed on, right when I started the car up one day. I can understand what the VAG-Com does but I don't know what's all involved with it. What's the best place to get one? What all do I need? How much? I figure that it will come in very handy to do as much homework before going to the dealer for anything. Thanks Dragon!

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Lonwheels said:
The light came on, and stayed on, right when I started the car up one day. I can understand what the VAG-Com does but I don't know what's all involved with it. What's the best place to get one? What all do I need? How much? I figure that it will come in very handy to do as much homework before going to the dealer for anything. Thanks Dragon!
Before you buy VAG-Com, find out if anyone near you has it (do a search for Vag-Com finder on google) or talk to some of your local GTI owners at a GTG (get toGether)
You need the software, a HEX-CAN usb cable www.ross-tech.com . It's about $350, it does more than just diagnostics.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Bcruzin said:
Dragon.. just get his VIN and do the remote VagCom ::)
[fish]

I can't the intraweb is down...

(Sorry Lon- bad inside joke about my "wireless" vag-com!)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dig.

Dragon-Can you describe the limp mode default? I'll figure out the vag-com, if need be.
I'm remotely controlling a 30' long death machine in FL with a DSL connection.....scary!

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Lonwheels said:
Dig.

Dragon-Can you describe the limp mode default? I'll figure out the vag-com, if need be.
I'm remotely controlling a 30' long death machine in FL with a DSL connection.....scary!
Buy a cheap laptop. You can get a nice used Dell for less than 400 bucks O0

Limp mode is where the ECU decides to protect the car due to a malfunction. It still runs, but it feels like the car is a Yugo. The idea is that you will get the car to the dealer ASAP.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts