Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im jw if i get a 2005 gti if i should get auto or a stick shift cause i live in chicago so i hope tht a stick wouldnt get 2 anoying. Im also wondering if i got a blow off valve on a automatic gti if i would hear the hissing noise tht it makes? thx every 1 and [help].

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i would like a stick but the thing is i live right outside of chicago and this will b an every day car cause im 16 and if i got a bov 4 the auto gti and had it in tiptronic i would still not hear the hiss of the bov???? and i thought if i had it in drive and was guning the car i would hear the bov?? thx 4 the help every 1

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
Wow JW. Are you buying the car strictly for the sound of the Blow-Off Valve? Sounds like it to me at least. :-X
And pay no mind to the "Are you a woman or a man" thing. [fish]

Both transmissions are sick, it boils down to preference. There are about 10 threads in this forum alone praising the DSG and there are another 20 threads arguing for the stick. This isn't a decision to leave up to "us." Just please don't base it on the fact that you can or cannot hear the BOV.

P.S. 500 posts. O0

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no i am not buying a gti for the sound of the bov i am jw if on an auto i could hear the hiss cause idk about but i would hate to waste 130$ on somethin tht dosent work properly. I dont have my car yet but i am hopeing to get a 2005 gti befor march the car is so sick ;D. but anyways those of u tht have them wat kinda mods do u have??? and how much do u love ur gti? I want it soo bad!!!! But for now i drive a 1996 ford explorer :( lame ass car but all my hard saveing of money and i will b killing ricers in no time!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thx 4 all the input every 1 ive got a while to b4 i get my car...but i think 4 my self auto would b the best desicion cause i sit in some pretty nasty traffic here in chicago and its got the tip tronic 4 wen i wanna drive it like a stick. Im also wondering wat kinda air intakes r good 4 the the mk4 and wen i get my car if any1 in chicago land area wants to have a meet 8)?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Dragon is right. for the Mk4...go stick. the tiptronic in the Mk 4 is NOTHING compared to the DSG in the Mk5

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
i used to own a 95 jetta III 2.0 in stick and i lived in dc. Soo i know all about traffic. Trust me, get the stick. My friend got a 2.0l mkiv golf and hates it. The drive is sooo boring when its auto. Most people w/ tiptronic rarely use it (DSG people i hear are different, because its that good). Get the stick...better gas mileage, more communication w/ the car, and when u get frustrated in traffic there is nothin better than droppin down a gear and gunning it. With stick u can leave it in 1st and let it limp along w/o havin to engage the clutch. dont recommend doin it on a hill, jus when the road is flat.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thx man the only thing is, is tht i have only driven a stick in a school parking lot. i was in my friends 350z and got it up to 3rd gear and i must say it was more fun than an auto and i only stalled it 1 time. Not bad for my first try so ya maybe i will go with a stick. hell it seems a lot more fun i thought >:D and they r easyer to find at vw dealers so thx. 4 u guys with the stick gti's how long did it take u to learn how to drive the car like perfectly. TY ;D

·
Registered
48 Posts
I went from a 97 tacoma (auto) to a MkIV stick. Before I had gotten the car I had only driven stick a few time with moderate results. I bought my GTI in Los Angeles and had to drive some 200ish miles home. If you practice just a little you'll have to problems with the stick in traffic, it does get a little tidies but once you get the hang of it it becomes like second nature. Girls dig a guy who can drive a stick, you'll probably feel better driving a stick. I say go for it. Also if you're into things like racing friends with hondas and beating the poo outa them which I'm sure you are being 16 and all it's an unfortunate truth that you will get laughed at by fellow racers and you'll get tons of complaints if you beat people in an automatic. Go for the manual my friend.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
haha, so far i haven't raced any worth opponents. i enjoyed racing a V6 Cougar.

I would accelerate and leave him in the dust then brake let him catch up (remember this is giving him time to continue accelerating) and then take off again. he was along in his car and i had my skinny and overweight friend with me. I'm not what you'd call light either..

·
Registered
606 Posts
JW,

If you get a DSG, I can tell you now, a BOV will be a waste of money. You won't be able to hear the hissing noise hardly ever becase the DSG shifts so dang quick that the turbo can actually remain spooled through each shift = no need for the turbo to dump.

There was a thread somewhere on here where this one guy was saying the Forge BOV was a waste of money...he was wondering if there was something wrong with his car...nothing wrong other than he had a DSG.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
26 Posts
SpeeDemon said:
JW,

If you get a DSG, I can tell you now, a BOV will be a waste of money. You won't be able to hear the hissing noise hardly ever becase the DSG shifts so dang quick that the turbo can actually remain spooled through each shift = no need for the turbo to dump.

There was a thread somewhere on here where this one guy was saying the Forge BOV was a waste of money...he was wondering if there was something wrong with his car...nothing wrong other than he had a DSG.

Hope this helps
Actually the torque converter holds the boost between shifts.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Trky said:
SpeeDemon said:
JW,

Hope this helps
Actually the torque converter holds the boost between shifts.
Torque converter??? Are you sure about that chief??? :-X You may want to do a little more reading before embarrass yourself again. [fish]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.