Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My owner's manual has a chart for max tow and tongue weights, but all the boxes have just a footnote a) Information not available at time of printing. I found in another thread that for a MT6 the max for a trailer with brakes is 2000 lb, without brakes is 1650 lb, and tongue weight is 220 lb, and in other threads I found that for a TDI DSG towing ANY weight is not permitted, but for other models with DSG permissible tow weights are about the same as with a MT5, so using logic to make even a conservative estimate is clearly not possible. I just recently bought the car and would have preferred a MT6, but the car was such a cream puff (really) and I couldn't help being impressed by the versatility and performance of the (not really) automatic. I really hope I'm not going to regret being seduced by paddle shifters as I bought it with the intent to occasionally pull a small utility trailer that wouldn't destroy its road manners. Years ago I used an old Rabbit to tow an enclosed U-Haul that when loaded properly had enough tongue weight to nearly lift the front wheels and after shifting the load the trailer developed the annoying habit of trying to overtake the car on downhills. When the tail started wagging the dog, the only way to recover was to slam the gas pedal to the floor at just the right time. Never expected that helping my buddy move to Cal would turn into a white-knuckle drive.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts