My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm work'n on my system now (my fast is 4 days old now)......its a really broad question to ask man ;D

Do you want a single din? Double din? Do you want to replace the speakers? What type of music? You a bass hound? or just enough to fill/make the music pop....what's your budget? Do you want NAV/DVD ect...?

First you gotta get something like this:

(pic from ebay)

It can handle both single or double....then you gotta pick outta the million HU's out there....and build your accessories from there depending on what your HU can handle...then pick out your amps ect..

Its overwhelming but so much fun at the same time! 8)

I'm go'n with a 7'' double din screen (AVIC-D3 most likely), custom sub box in the spare tire well, no idea where I'm mount'n the amps, ipod intergration, blue-tooth, so I can drive crazy and not worry about the phone crap ;)....I'm gonna pull the audio no no and not replace the stock speakers yet (as I read they are molded in and don't wanna fight with that right now), if the snow cones are that bad, I'll replace them shortly after...

Prob not all that much help ;)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
scans007 said:
I'm work'n on my system now (my fast is 4 days old now)......its a really broad question to ask man ;D

Do you want a single din? Double din? Do you want to replace the speakers? What type of music? You a bass hound? or just enough to fill/make the music pop....what's your budget? Do you want NAV/DVD ect...?

(pic from ebay)

It can handle both single or double....then you gotta pick outta the million HU's out there....and build your accessories from there depending on what your HU can handle...then pick out your amps ect..

I'm go'n with a 7'' double din screen (AVIC-D3 most likely), custom sub box in the spare tire well, no idea where I'm mount'n the amps, ipod intergration, blue-tooth, so I can drive crazy and not worry about the phone crap ;)....I'm gonna pull the audio no no and not replace the stock speakers yet (as I read they are molded in and don't wanna fight with that right now), if the snow cones are that bad, I'll replace them shortly after...

Yup......you are gonna be a good one to have around

4 days......I can't wait

·
Registered
277 Posts
Thanx crew.....I'm wicked excited to get into it, this thing is SO much fun to drive...and my girl loves it so I won't get introuble for mod'n it like the others.....SWEET.....I also just found out that my buddy is creating VW tunes for HarminAutomotive out in CA and told me as soon as they were ready he'd hit me up....that should be fun......but I digress.....

www.pimpmyauto.com is shaping up slowly as I've been collecting info and make'n documents from it for my audio install (see on topic) and such, so if anyone is look'n for audio info on work'n on the MKV, hit the installs page and you can download full docs and don't have to search the web for threads.....also in the Media section I uploaded "audio.zip" which is the collection of wiring diagrams, pictures of parts, and the pdf's with the info for all the audio stuff.....thanx to some dude on vwvortex.com :p (actually it's uploading 5/14/07 -8:53 EST - so give it an hour to get all the docs up to the server)

If you guys have any info you want hosted, or know of good info that should be there that people could benifit from, just hit me up, pm me, IM me....(this prob isn't the place for this post but what can you do ;D)

Also if you know any members that have their rides up on sites, I have a forum members list with links to peeps...right now I'm the only one on it......

2 mins to hero's........I'm out

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
That site is smooth man.. keep up the good work, however, this shows up next to my Grill Emblem Mod
"This is an install of the first GHL turbo back 3"
???

·
Registered
277 Posts
Bcruzin said:
That site is smooth man.. keep up the good work, however, this shows up next to my Grill Emblem Mod
"This is an install of the first GHL turbo back 3"
???
Fixed.....always point out my errors, it's tough to catch them all 8)

·
Registered
277 Posts
gangsterfunk said:
heres what i have done. i had a thread posted before the site was hacked but after it was fixed, the thread was deleted.
Hey man, got a question for ya, that sweet HU, what is it? I wanna look it up so I can get the dementions to make sure my HU will fit....or if you know it's depth post away, that would be a HUGE help, and take a worry off my back that I will have to hack up the inside of the dash ;D

With my install I'm getting a steering wheel control box, so I should be able to program my bluetooth into the phone button, and some other random function into the other and retain the rest of the functionality, but I won't really know till I'm in there

·
Registered
18 Posts
yupperz . . . thats the model name. alpine has a new double din out which is the iva-w205. the only difference is that its their second gen double din and has a video ipod feature and you can dock an alpine blackbird for gps capability whereas the w200, to upgrade to nav is like 1800 bucks. dont worry about dimensions man . . . since the newer body styled gtis have an oversized factory deck . . . any double din can fit. just get a dash kit and harness and install away! i also have installed new component speakers throughout and have tens in the rear. i love systems haha

·
Registered
277 Posts
gangsterfunk said:
yupperz . . . thats the model name. alpine has a new double din out which is the iva-w205. the only difference is that its their second gen double din and has a video ipod feature and you can dock an alpine blackbird for gps capability whereas the w200, to upgrade to nav is like 1800 bucks. dont worry about dimensions man . . . since the newer body styled gtis have an oversized factory deck . . . any double din can fit. just get a dash kit and harness and install away! i also have installed new component speakers throughout and have tens in the rear. i love systems haha
What speakers did you get, how'd you install them....are they truley molded in? You get 4''? This is my ONLY trouble spot. They seem to be 4'' and molded into the doors......give me the goods!

I just posted what I bought: http://myfastgti.com/vwgti/index.php?topic=1899

·
Registered
18 Posts
i installed rockford fosgate power components throughout. i had to cut the factory speakers out to install the aftermarket ones. it was a b*tch to complete but well worth it!!!! i didnt even bother with those speakers because i didnt purchase a 5channel amp and because my components came with a dual tweeter setup (two tweeters per sub) i just put one tweeter in the tweeter spot and made retaining bar to hold the 4" spot.

·
Registered
277 Posts
gangsterfunk said:
i installed rockford fosgate power components throughout. i had to cut the factory speakers out to install the aftermarket ones. it was a b*tch to complete but well worth it!!!! i didnt even bother with those speakers because i didnt purchase a 5channel amp and because my components came with a dual tweeter setup (two tweeters per sub) i just put one tweeter in the tweeter spot and made retaining bar to hold the 4" spot.
Sounds sweet...any pics :D I'm a picture-a-holic!

I just bought the JL XR653-CS so those are sick, now need to find something ave for the rears to fill it in....

·
Registered
139 Posts
scans007 said:

(pic from ebay)

I wanted to give ya'll a heads up on this dash kit.

I bought this same kit for my car. It comes with a wiring harness adapter (shown in photo). The radio I bough also had an adapter sent with it.

When I was hooking up the radio I used the adapter that came with the dash install kit 1st and it did not work. Then I hooked it up with the adapter that came with the radio and it worked fine.

My recommendation would be to NOT use the adapter that comes with the dash kit.

This is the one I used:
http://sonicelectronix.com/item_4442_Scosche+VW03B+-+VW03.html

·
Registered
577 Posts
The Avic D3 seems to have a flaw... it can only have one dvd/cd in at a time, so if you wanna nav somewhere and listen to a cd...you cant, only one or the other.

The W200 doesnt have Nav and some bluetooth issues.

Arent there better HU's out there that have great user friendliness in ALL areas? NAV that doesnt need a DVD ( hard drive anyone? ) that can also play DVD movies while you roll, and at a switch go to music either on a CD or ipod adapted HU ... and something with one touch bluetooth.

Does such a HU exist? price no object...i just want something that not only works well but kicks ass in all those areas ...HU only. anyone?

·
Registered
18 Posts
i personally do not care at all for the D3. the screen is not the greatest at responding to touch. the user interface seems screwy as well ... as for the w200, it is simply little outdated. check out the w205. it doesnt come with the nav feature built in, but it does allow for an alpine blackbird to be docked behind the face for navigation. with this combo it is a little more pricey than the D3 but i find the alpine to be a better unit. i have heard that there have been bluetooth improvements made on the w205 as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts