Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just joined the forums today! I'm 18 and I've always loved the look of the GTI, so I worked my butt off and finally managed to pick a 2008 up a few weeks ago. I LOVE IT! Lately I've been wanting to put a new muffler/exhaust on it to give it a more deep and throaty sound (NOT looking for loud like a fart can, just some more aggressive sounding). I've been trying to learn a lot more about cars in general lately, but I still would rather ask people who know what they're doing when it comes to this specific car so I don't waste my money on something I'm not too sure about. Please forgive me if I posted this in the wrong place and thanks for any responses!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi guys, just joined the forums today! I'm 18 and I've always loved the look of the GTI, so I worked my butt off and finally managed to pick a 2008 up a few weeks ago. I LOVE IT! Lately I've been wanting to put a new muffler/exhaust on it to give it a more deep and throaty sound (NOT looking for loud like a fart can, just some more aggressive sounding). I've been trying to learn a lot more about cars in general lately, but I still would rather ask people who know what they're doing when it comes to this specific car so I don't waste my money on something I'm not too sure about. Please forgive me if I posted this in the wrong place and thanks for any responses!
2.5 " catback.

or 3" which will be louder but better performance for the turbo.

also consider high flow cat to help turbo.

less air restriction is better for turbos

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Most do a Downpipe(DP) first before a Catback(CB) and the DP is usually cheaper but is harder to install. On a budget you can do a Resonator delete on the oem catback and then add a Downpipe later. If thinking you might in the future go bigger than a K04 at some point, otherwise known as Big Turbo (BT)...go with a 3" DP in planning ahead. You can stick with a 2.5" DP if thinking you will stick with the oem K03 or your choice will be a K04.
I have a K04 and I run a Techtonics Tuning Turboback(TB) that is 2.5" and boost is upwards of 23 to 25psi, depending on whether or not I load boost it or just go full throttle, without hindering the turbo's operation.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Sure...and if you just want it to sound better...put on a flow-through muffler, doesn't really matter the brand, after having the resonator and oem muffler removed. Muffler shops aren't too spendy for that type of install, but you will have costs for the new muffler and pipes...plus new exhaust tips. So get quoted the total and compare with a new pre-fabbed catback.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts