Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just finished my wheel and iam pretty happy. I keep the gun metal part and the rest is flat black.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
I think it looks cool.

I'm sure many would appreciate if you explained the procedure to obtain this.

How much?
What did you use?
How long?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well just a quick rundown. The taping is the crapy part, I found 1/4" masking tape is best for the rounded parts (horseshoe) and using only one piece on the u part is best. Start from one side of the horseshoe with a long piece and tape just along the gunmetal were it meets the silver. This goes for the top staright part of the as well. Your gona have some have some gunmetal still exposed so either thicker tape or some more to cover the rest well do it. Like I said this part sucks but it gets easier by the second or third wheel, you kind of get the hang of it. Make sure before taping and painting to clean your wheels really well. On the paint I choose flat black but gloss or whatever would be fine to. I didnt do any sanding andjust went with a good coat of primer and three good coats of black . Sorry I dont have any pics but hopefully you get the gerneral idea, if not let me know.

·
Registered
747 Posts
nice yea that doesn't seem too bad
just one thing do you have a shot of the entire car in sun light?

I have a CW too and I just want to see how it looks from a global point of view O0

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I'll be interested to see how it holds up. I am surprised you didn't sand it down.....can't be good.

I wish you the best of luck though! O0

·
Registered
573 Posts
There is a clear coat to keep the wheels from oxidizing. If you did not remove that, I don't think it will stick. And a good thing if you ask me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This was kind of just an temp. thing. Until I can get some money for new wheels. It was mostly to see how my car looks with black wheels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts