Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was driving and my temp wnt to 100 brfore I turned it off my rad fans wont kick in I was told to replace the fans (both) they are like $500 plus install anyone know what else it could be i'm new on the forms

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm thinking it may be a fuse or sensor or switch has anyone had this happen to them or know about this problem again both dont trip on I held idle at 2000 for a few mins to see if it they would go on and nothing. It was +30 in T.O today

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
I'm thinking it may be a fuse or sensor or switch has anyone had this happen to them or know about this problem again both dont trip on I held idle at 2000 for a few mins to see if it they would go on and nothing. It was +30 in T.O today
Like you said check your fuses and see if on the fan area if any plug came disconnected. If all is good see if you can get it scanned by vagcom (preffered method) or a scanner and see if there are any codes that get show up. Post back here with any results.

DU SCHAUST WIE EIN AUTO, NUR NICHT SO SCHNELL!!!!

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
check fuse, relay, power at plugs

you can jump the plug to make sure the fans work

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No sorry I kno they tap ot at 130F my guess is that it was about 100 but I took it to my mechanic and scanned it both my fans were shot and I replaced the shroud and both fans dealer wanted over $750 just for 2 fans I got shroud and all for $210 and $150 for install plus my BSH intake went in but yesterday the fans woud not shut off they were going for 15min I had to disconnect my battery to get them to stop any more ideas what this could be :mad:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rad fans won't shut off help!!!

the other day I replaced my rad fans and shroud cause they were shot 1 day later after driving for 30mins i turned da engine off and the fans ran for 15min untill I disconnected the battery to get them off, now today they seem to be fine but I have heard peoples fans randomly turning on and draining there battery and IDEAS i'm going to call my mechanic tomorrow but trying to figure out whats up

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Rad fans won't shut off help!!!

Also keep in mind this happened after having the car on the road for 1 day I bought it 2 months ago and put it on the road for summer I got a sweet deal on brand new fans and shroud for $210+$150 install but I want to put my H&R and Bilistein's on and dont want any more fan issues

·
Super Moderator
3,120 Posts
Re: Rad fans won't shut off help!!!

Please limit to one thread if you have an issue with the same piece. O0

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
I work on the fans for a B5 passat and the relay was under the dash

IIRC there is fan module somewhere

Using my GF Galaxy Tab 10.1

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I brought it to my mechanic who was a vw tech for 15 years at the dealer the fans dont have a relay its the module and the module is in the fan shroud he basically hookrd it up to the laptop and checked the temp sensor it was fine also checked the fuse panel for water damage he sprayed air into it its fine the only thing we came up with is the module is bad on the fans but since that trip it has been turning on and off proper so i'm hoping it continues to be OK

1 - 16 of 16 Posts