My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:'( :'( :'( :'(

I was coming home from an awesome day at the San Diego Zoo and something like this had to happen to me. Traffic came to a sudden stop and a lady rear-ended me. I was hit pretty good. When I looked in the rear-view mirror, I saw the front end of her SUV all damaged and steaming. The damage was going to be pretty severe. After screaming a few choice words in my car, I stepped out to assess the damage and get the driver's information. To my surprise, it wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. The back end of my car crumpled the front of her 07 Chevy. The damage is unsightly but not bad considering. I've only had the car for about two months. I'm still in shock kinda. I'm glad I have insurance. Here's the pics. I'll have to get my friend to upload her pics of the accident too.

Damn California drivers. I'm gonna be heading to the doctor soon too to get checked out because I think I got whiplash. Wish me luck during all this.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
That really sucks... I've been driving since i was 15 (legally, you gotta love Driver's Ed) so that's about 4 years. No tickets, No accidents. I'm always worried my luck will end. :(

Oh by the way, your little square popped out on your bumper, the one the tow trucks use.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does suck...big time. I've been hit twice in 5 months. The other accident was in my other car (2001 Mitsubishi Mirage). Both accidents were not my fault and they both happened when my car wasn't moving. The world can be so cruel sometimes.

The other parties insurance called and want to take a look at the damage. Good to see that they're quick on this. I just want it to be over and move on. I also went to the doctor today and I have a damaged trapezius muscle. Got an anti-inflamatory pills and some muscle relaxants. What a mess.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
^^^ Sorry to hear dude :(

When my last vehicle (Nissan X-Terra-478HP -have the dynos) was two weeks old- some POS rear ended me at a bridge toll plaza. The guy had previous front end damage and pretended he didn't speak engrish. I got out and politely told the driver to give me his license and insurance, then you can follow me to the next offramp or I can show you my set of really-really cool handcuffs and wait for CHP. Your choice, Sir. ;D

He chose the offramp, and after checking the damage- my shit would 'somewhat' buff out. (It's a truck- it adds character [fish].) He broke a headlight.

·
Registered
148 Posts
How did the SUV lady react? I've heard stories of people getting rear ended in slow moving traffic and the one who caused the accident has an attitude like you did something wrong. Some people... Sheesh.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bboy AJ said:
How did the SUV lady react? I've heard stories of people getting rear ended in slow moving traffic and the one who caused the accident has an attitude like you did something wrong. Some people... Sheesh.
She was more in shock than anything. She was pregnant and I think she was more concerned about that. I think she realized that it was her fault. Plus, I think she could see me cussing and smacking my steering wheel after it happened so she probably figured that I was pretty upset. I was really calm about it once I stepped out of my car though. It went as well as one could expect under the circumstances. So far her insurance has been really cool about everything.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Livnplush said:
I will get flak for this statement, but this is exactly why most woman shouldn't drive.
Amen bro! My wife says she seconds that statement! The women around here are probably the worst drivers that I have ever seen, if they are not putting on makeup in the rearview they are reading a book or working on a laptop!! Unbelievable but I have seen it.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Sorry to the OP, wrecks suck big time.

To those saying women shouldnt drive, whatever. I know for a fact that men get in and are the reason for just as many wrecks as women.

If ya dont believe me, check out yous states department of insurance and the listings of stats, odds are that you men cause just as many as us.

I've seen my share of dudes shaving, reading newspapers, playin on their laptops and trimmin nosehairs, so piss off. Men are just as bad.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Livnplush said:
I will get flak for this statement, but this is exactly why most woman shouldn't drive.
Like the other poster has said, I think guys are more prone to getting in car accidents than females. Males take more risks and this leads to more accidents. So, lets be honest here and admit that we're nearly equally at fault.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Rear-ended when you're stopped is awful. MY '98 Jetta felt the pain of 3, 17 year-old girls in a Jeep Grand Cherokee at a stop light.

Luckily I'm picking up my new GTI on Friday.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a little update:

Took my car into a local collision center that I've used before. They do great work. The other insurance company is taking care of everything. My neck is okay...my passenger's neck is getting better too but it's still worse than mine.

Got a rental car, a new Dodge Avenger. It takes so long for that car to accelerate. Plus, it's bit and bulky. The damn thing couldn't even fit in my garage. I miss my GTI!!! :'(

As promised, here's a picture of the other driver's car right after the accident. (And yes, that's me on the right of the picture).

As you can see, the damage was a lot worse for them. I credit the superior design of the VW.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Dude thats horrible. I use to work in a shopping plaza and so one reversed into my car and drove off. I still have the damages on my car but its not that bad. And once i was driving on the tunpike ( i live down in miami) and something fell off a semi and fell on my hood denting it and took some paint off. I feel ur pain man!

Oh and women in miami are far worse then anywhere else. We have Hialeah here to thank also for all the car crashes. I think MIami was even rated one of the worse driving cities in the US.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^^That doesn't sound too cool. I had a driver back into me at work and luckily they were kind enough to leave their information on my window (I wasn't in my car when the accidenty occurred). I'm guessing that a lot of people would have taken off.

Ya know, we have a lot of semis on the freeways that haul dirt for construction purposes and rocks and shit are flying out of those things all the time. They say to stay back like 200 ft. and that they aren't responsible for any damage to your car. I'm thinking, bullshit, you could at least secure your load with a cover or something just like everyone else who has to haul stuff. No one cares about anyone anymore. It's sad really.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ya the guy could have secrued his load but it was at night so i wasnt able to tell what it was until the last second. I was able to slam on the breaks and swurve. It was going right towards me window. The funny part was that my g/f and my friends were sleeping when it happened so the all started screaming lol

·
Registered
809 Posts
Wow, as a fan of Chevy for many years I am quite shocked by the amount of damage versus the lack of damage. Apparently GM isnt really doing much of anything these days. :(

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got my car back yesterday. It looks as good as new. The only problem was that the display kept saying that my hatch wasn't closed all the way. Then my car wouldn't beep when I would lock it. Took it back down to the collision place and they fixed it in no time. Now my baby is back to normal. I'm glad all this is behind me. What a nightmare its been.

·
Registered
20 Posts
electric flesh said:
Got my car back yesterday. It looks as good as new. The only problem was that the display kept saying that my hatch wasn't closed all the way. Then my car wouldn't beep when I would lock it. Took it back down to the collision place and they fixed it in no time. Now my baby is back to normal. I'm glad all this is behind me. What a nightmare its been.
My 2007 GTI (United Grey), bought in April, and I got rear-ended on the 405 in Long Beach, CA about two weeks ago. Getting my car fixed has been a nightmare. Not Tim Burton style but Elm Street or a nightmare about the Exorcist.

The body shop did an awesome job on getting parts (with the exception of a small cap underneath my rear bumper trim piece (I have the trim kit). They painted, they missed huge on the match. They painted again. I went to pick it up and there were areas where the surface was still scuffed up, overspray and it also had the look of missed wax between where the upper part of the bumper meets the lower section.

They had a blob of silicone sealant on the deck lid attached to the hatch (with the furry fabric on it). They forgot my spare tire, had adjusted all my knobs on the tuner. I mean, good mother of God.

Anyone have any ideas to PRODUCTIVELY, yet short of near-violent aggression to communicate these issues? I can't believe I am having a third repaint.

Any advice is welcomed. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Contact your insurance agency and tell them, call your VW dealer and ask where they recomend you take the car to have it fixed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts