Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I'd like to apologize to Gunny for starting an entirely new thread for the Neuspeed intake, or intakes in general, as I know he does get a little... um... frustrated when people do that.

I picked up my Neuspeed Intake today at a shop close by in Houston and they charged me 250.. call me stupid, but I don't really care that I could get it cheaper online. To me those 50 bucks was worth 1. the trip and 2. getting it right then and there. This was about 1:30ish in the afternoon. I got it and they wanted to charge me 120 bucks worth of labor to install it (1.5 hours)... when I hear that price I said no. I'm not going to pay 120 bucks for something I think I'm capable of (even though I have no experience working on cars AT ALL, but I'm a fast learner and a dedicated person). So I just payed for it, put it in the hatch and went on my way home. I got home about 2:30ish and started working right away. A friend of mine was there to "help", but when I get involved in something I don't like people getting in my way unless they know what to do, so I mostly did it alone.

It took me a grand total of 1 hour and 30ish minutes ( the same amount of time the guys at the shop said they'd do it in and they have TONS of experience in installing intakes).

I turned on the car and I MELTED the sound is amazing!

I have to remind you I HAD NO TOOLS... all I had was the T-20 star screwdriver and 1 pair of pliers... everything else i had to improvise. oh, and a flat head screw driver.

I was missing a 10mm wrench to take off a part to install the heat shield. So I'll do that later. I'm heat-shield-less right now.

I will be posting pics in about an hour or so... I didn't have my camera... i might even post a video. :)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Re: My NEW Neuspeed intake (kryptonkid07) *PICS COMING SOON*

Some of the other guys have run into issues with mounting. Are you sure your in tight? I'd like to see the pics too.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: My NEW Neuspeed intake (kryptonkid07) *PICS COMING SOON*

I have a question.. is a scraping/whistling sound normal?

and here are the pics:

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And here's a sound clip... not good quality at all... it's from my cell phone, and you have to really listen.
[youtube=425,350]PBYAS3CXwII[/youtube]

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Welcome to world of Neuspeed........ The whistle is totally normal and takes a bit to get used to. Honestly, if there was one thing I could change...it would be that sound. It has never really grown on me.

Congrats dude!

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha.. go slow=try out Neuspeed intake here

yeah. i guess it is normal.. i did some searching and found answers on this site too.. i was just being lazy. and a bit of a post whore.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
the heat shield is a pain in the ass to install.

it sucks but it is possible to do. nice pics, now jus get the engine cover trimmed and put back on.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lumns said:
the heat shield is a pain in the ass to install.

it sucks but it is possible to do. nice pics, now jus get the engine cover trimmed and put back on.
I'll get around to doing it. Maybe tomorrow.
Lumns, how did you take off those grommets to put on the heat shield. I believe the instructions said a 10mm wrench. Is that the easiest way?

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
behind the grommets are nuts, to be able to see them i used a mirror. However, after putting the heat shield on, i wasnt able to put the nuts back on. Its impossible to see behind there

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
gain in power (from what I feel is minimal) seems to be a better throttle response. I haven't checked my MPG. i have a heavy foot, so i waste gas like crazy. and install was pretty simple. I've never installed an intake, but i did it okay. Only had trouble with the heat shield cause of my lack of tools, so that's still not installed, but everything else went on easy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
heres my pFlo. i've had it for a few months now, and i just changed the cone, not because the other ones bad, this one just catches your eye a bit more haha

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thats the same one I have on my car. So I now know one thing for sure, now to just figure out the rest of it? I think I may have got a better deal on this thing than I thought? The dealer had no idea it even had any mods done to it. What does that thing run $$$?

Thanks.

Mike

·
mmm...beer
2,815 Posts
im a little of topic here, but i got an injen intake in mine. the whole thing is aluminum, which is what i like about it, and i think its a little bigger too, not that that would matter i think. got it off of ebay for $250. they claim that its a "tuned" intake giving you just the right air to fuel ration. dont know about that but its a sweet peace of equipment. i got it before i knew about all the other options out there like the neuspeed or evoms. if i had to make that decision now, i would still pic the injen. but thats just my two cents.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts