Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!;D
I just purchased my new best friend 2009 GTI 4-door with 63k miles for 7k (includes registration and etc.)
I got the car coded by Autozone and I no problems came up what so ever, but here are my personal issues with the car already.:mad:

>The stock airbox was missing, was told it was a cheap fix but going to be purchasing a unitronic CAI soon for $399 instead
>When I'm gearing park to reverse to drive or sport the car maxes a "thump" or "clunk" noise like twice, nothing in neutral but it does move the car a bit, not noticeable loud with ac on but I like to drive without ac or radio playing to hear the car. Didn't notice 3 days ago but I did try to take her out for an aggressive spin twice already today is the first time I heard it.
>Not sure if its sports mode but when I leave it on and floor it, it sounds tense and not shifting correctly when I let my foot off the gas.
>When I put the car in manual mode the car violently shakes/vibrates when floored it 0-40, my girlfriend said it's in the front so I'm guessing its wheel spin as the traction control light comes on also.

I'm not sure if any of this is normal as I just came from a 2006 BMW 325I but in bad condition to this being my own personal first car.

I do plan on staging the car unitronic soon, but not until I get these issues fix any idea what it could be?
Another thing to note is that the oil and other fluids haven't been changed since 1/15/2016 but has been at the dealership ever since.
the car does have clean carfax as well in case anyone is wondering if a crash would cause this.

Thanks, guys would love to hear any feedback! If so please include repair cost as well, Just purchased her 3 days ago and hope it's not a deal too good to be true![drive]

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
These do have horrible wheel hop, even with traction control(ESP) disabled. There's options if interested. It requires a few mount replacements and you can do so gradually until resolved...not all at once. This you can search "mk5 gti wheel hop" or pose your questions here...again, if interested.

Hopefully, regarding the shifting, you did not get one with the Mechatronics unit failing. You might want to do a search and compare your symptoms to those you find after searching Mechatronics failing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys!;D
I just purchased my new best friend 2009 GTI 4-door with 63k miles for 7k (includes registration and etc.)
I got the car coded by Autozone and I no problems came up what so ever, but here are my personal issues with the car already.:mad:

>The stock airbox was missing, was told it was a cheap fix but going to be purchasing a unitronic CAI soon for $399 instead
>When I'm gearing park to reverse to drive or sport the car maxes a "thump" or "clunk" noise like twice, nothing in neutral but it does move the car a bit, not noticeable loud with ac on but I like to drive without ac or radio playing to hear the car. Didn't notice 3 days ago but I did try to take her out for an aggressive spin twice already today is the first time I heard it.
>Not sure if its sports mode but when I leave it on and floor it, it sounds tense and not shifting correctly when I let my foot off the gas.
>When I put the car in manual mode the car violently shakes/vibrates when floored it 0-40, my girlfriend said it's in the front so I'm guessing its wheel spin as the traction control light comes on also.

I'm not sure if any of this is normal as I just came from a 2006 BMW 325I but in bad condition to this being my own personal first car.

I do plan on staging the car unitronic soon, but not until I get these issues fix any idea what it could be?
Another thing to note is that the oil and other fluids haven't been changed since 1/15/2016 but has been at the dealership ever since.
the car does have clean carfax as well in case anyone is wondering if a crash would cause this.

Thanks, guys would love to hear any feedback! If so please include repair cost as well, Just purchased her 3 days ago and hope it's not a deal too good to be true![drive]
Congrads on the GTI purchase. I hope it's not tranny issues. I'm hoping it is just something like motor mounts.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it wasnt as severe as the others i hit 100 quick many times no issue to "push" the car no issues with paddle shifters, shifter or automatic but only from park to drive, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
it wasnt as severe as the others i hit 100 quick many times no issue to "push" the car no issues with paddle shifters, shifter or automatic but only from park to drive, etc.
From your description it seems you're getting this thump or thud sound moving from park to drive while not moving?? It sounds like either motor mounts or an idle control module, if it's shaking the car. I could be wrong but I would start there.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, it is only when car isn't moving my only other issue is in sport it sounds like its gearing but that's only when I cruise. When I floor it or kinda push it noise does go away the car was never serviced since 1/17/16 so over 1 year, which I know is bad and think it might be the old fluids as well. Anorher issue is in sport or manual when I'm braking to q stop it makes a small sound but only when car is at like 5mph. But based on symptoms of mechtronics there was no rev problems, or hard gearing when driving it fact its really smooth pushing hard or light from 0-60 and etc. Could it be a clutch pack or something else as well.?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts