My Fast GTi banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, im a 16 y/o new GTI owner

and I had a completly built 1999 Mazda miata that I absolutly loved and adored, but I got the motorcycle bug, and sold it *hits myself on head* and got a Ducati, I love the ducati, but you cant drive it every day. So i was driving a 1983 mercedes 240d (0-60 in 29 sec) for my daily driver, and I was missing my zoom zoom, so I found a 1987 GTI 16v for $1300 that had 87000 original documented miles, bone stock. first of all, I LOVE the GTI, but i want some extra umph just for some fun.

I know that the 16v GTI engine I have is a highly buildable engine, but I have yet to find a website to really give me any options of what I can do to the engine and the car as a whole.

thanks for any refrences sites or any help replyed on this forum.

thanks again,
Ethan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Before you get deep into the mods make sure what you have is solid. I had a 16v car new in 1991 and and was a pretty troublesome thing. I am sure that most of the problems it had could be easily solved now. The VW 16 valves are interference engines and a broken belt costs you a large chunk of your hot rod budget. If you don't know, just change it. Make sure to use all new pullys as well. I had lots of coolant leaks too so make sure all the hoses and outlets are sound. After that I'd start basic and small. Cold air intake, exaust, etc. A prpoer tune up might gain you a little as well. I've not roided a 16v car but I have seen a lot of great mods for them and seen a few go really fast. There are turbo kits, big bore kits, all sorts of stuff. Nuespeed and TechTonics should have alot of goodies for it. And before you get the engine too nasty dont forget to reseach brake upgrades. Good luck and drive safely.

·
Registered
13 Posts
yeah get it solid first! you'd be suprised what a vw can do if you get the basics taken care of! i know guys with built mk4's that drive so bad i can take them in my mk2 gti(it was trashed before i got it) have fun oh and get yourself a copy of best motorings "drift bible" even if your not in to drft it will teach you things you did not think existed about cars. and safety too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts