My Fast GTi banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This story is almost too bizarre to believe but here goes...

We were on our way home from Washington where my 9 year old son had just swam at the Sectional Championships. I was driving in the fast lane and had just come up on a black sedan with a Jesus Saves sticker on the back. He was going a leasurely 55 in a 60 mph zone and I went to pass him on the right when he suddenly swerved hard to the right to cut me off...I went back left and so did he and then he slammed on his brakes.

And no I was not and did not tail gait...

I finally got past and gave him the "Your #1" sign and picked it up a little to put some distance between us. I noticed that he had super long hair and a beard and did look really sketchy!

My son was saying that people are crazy in Washington and can we hurry up and get back to Oregon.

I kept my eyes open in case he showed up again and sure enough we hit some traffic and I saw him coming up on the right. Next thing I saw was him changing 3 lanes to get behind me and when I looked in my rear view mirror again I was stairing at the barrel of a hand gun pointed at me over his steering wheel!

Well that's all the incentive I needed and I punched it, I was driving in triple digits for a sustained amount of time and saw 125+. Luckily we were out of traffic and it was open country with a speed limit of 70...I used all of that and change. We never saw him again...

I would never drive that fast with Matt in the car, by myself...yes. But it was what I did at the time and I now wish I got his license plate number and called 911. This guy was dangerous. My son still doesn't know about the gun and commented that my car feels the same if I'm driving 50 or 100...

And now for the good news, Matt and I made it with 10 minutes to spare to his Grandmother's wedding in Portland. ;D

Also, even driving Mach-3 I got 25.6 mpg on that tank of gas. :eek:

Thank you VW for a safe, solid, well made, way cool get-a-way car.

redrocket

·
Registered
146 Posts
Truly strange. When I lived in New Mexico, my neighbor and I used to go play in the desert with our 4x4s. There were these run down mobile homes and shacks with Jesus Saves signs and what not. We always assumed they were meth labs. I guess these clowns think a jesus saves sign is good cover?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Glad you and your son are safe RR. I had a friend run off the road and attacked on 26 by 2 guys with hatchets, they didn't know he was a bouncer in a biker bar with a black belt. When the cops arrived he had both of them layed out on the ground. ;D there are definitely some Wackos out there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
oh crap! Glad to hear that you and your son are alive.

On a side note, There has been a string of shootings here in California, where innocent people will get harassed on the freeway, then if they act on it will get a gun pulled on them and get shot. The thing that bugs me though, is that no one has ever been arrested in connection with the shootings.

But be honest... you glad that you were driving a GTI and not a honda? lol

#dp

·
Registered
857 Posts
I've read through the whole forum several times now, and this is still the best story yet. Glad you're enjoying your car.

·
Registered
556 Posts
GTI said:
oh crap! Glad to hear that you and your son are alive.

On a side note, There has been a string of shootings here in California, where innocent people will get harassed on the freeway, then if they act on it will get a gun pulled on them and get shot. The thing that bugs me though, is that no one has ever been arrested in connection with the shootings.

But be honest... you glad that you were driving a GTI and not a honda? lol

#dp
Yeah, a Honda would have surely gotten you killed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow thats crazy, the more I drive the more crazy stuff happens, almost all my freinds are big street racers and even though they drive hastthey havesome carzy stories about regular peopledriving and doing waco stuff. My freind has a supra w/ twin turbo and this dudechucked a grape fruit at him when we were meeting up at walmart! Glad you and yourson are safe,I love gremany!

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have a very similar story, except mine was actually a lot scarier.

Driving home from blockbuster, some guy is going very slow and so i cut a him off without really thinking twice. He then proceeds to tailgate me like crazy so i whipped across four lanes of heavy traffic to turn and get away from him. He follows me and so i just floor it, i think that he's way back there by now, so i turn where i need to go to get home, I see him FLYING around this corner, he almost spun out, and so i floor it again. I took some side street that i take sometimes, with a LOT of tight turns and i figure i can get away from him, but he follows me the whole way and i had to cut off like 5 people so that he couldn't be directly behind me and so he hopefully wouldn't see where i was turning. After i think that I've really lost him this time, I pull into a cul de sac and turn off my car to make it look like i wasn't in it then i see him FLYING up behind me, so i have to turn on the car really quick, whip around, barely miss this guy, i almost hit him head on, and then floor it away. He was kinda slow to turn around, so i took at least 6 turns on 6 different streets hoping that he wasn't back there watching my turns. Finally after probably another 10 minutes of taking random neighborhood streets, i pull to the side, turn off the car again, and duck down. I waited another 10 minutes in my car, just shaking scared to death, hoping that i wouldn't hear him coming up behind me.

He was in a Jeep liberty, and you're probably thinking that i shouldn't have a problem getting away, but i had a lot of traffic to deal with, and he had COMPLETE disregard for all the traffic around him. I was up to about 120 on a 35, and I'm sure he got up to at least 100 chasing me. Here in Dallas you never know who you're going to run into with a gun (granted i didn't see one, but that was the first thought in my head) I've learned my lesson to not cut people off without thinking twice. I'm lucky to have gotten away, but you hear about people all the time who didn't.

Thank GOD, I'm safe and I'm driving this car. If I still had my passat wagon, i think it may have been a different story.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Aww man, that was YOU??!?!??!!

I was trying to tell you that your tail-light was out!

·
Registered
352 Posts
First of all +1 karma to all of you who were saved by your GTi.

I also have a story. I was driving to the gas station in my F-150 (which was nearly on empty) and I put on my blinker and go around some guy in a beat old chevy truck. Then as I'm passing him he flips me off and speeds ahead of me. Then later he gets stopped at a traffic light and I finally caught up to him. So I flipped him off and procceded to make my turn. But out of nowhere he swerves across three lanes of traffic and starts to follow me. He is seriously about 3 feet from my bumper, and I didn't know what to do. I first tried putting my blinker on and getting into the turning lane and then cutting back onto the street. And sure enough he did the same thing. I knew he was chasing me. So I start speeding up, until I hit another traffic light. I couldn't run the light because there were about 10 cars infront of me. So I stopped. But then I saw him get out of the truck with a crow bar and start walking up towards my car. So I camly sat there until he was a good 10 feet from his truck and I took off in the turning lane. But then again there were 4 cars infront of me, so I cut through the grass and passed all these people in the shoulder. Then I made a quick turn down a small dirt road where I can drive really fast and hopefully get away. But then I see him yet again, and this time he is pretty far away. So I put my blinker and casually turn so that he didn't have time to follow me because another car was coming. Then I looked in my rearview mirror, and he finally turned the other way and gave up.

Then I carefully made my way to the gas station and pumped the gas as quickly as possible. And I actually did see him go flying by but luckily he didn't see me. ^-^

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
sounds like something straight out of a movie. must of been one awesome thrill ride... all kidding aside though that is pretty crazy and if that happened to me i think i would crap or piss my pants and ruin my leather seats.

·
Registered
857 Posts
GranTurismoInjection said:
Aww man, that was YOU??!?!??!!

I was trying to tell you that your tail-light was out!
My friends have been giving me a hard time about it, telling me that he probably is waiting outside my house for the morning etc. trying to scare me. This guy was seriously driving like he wanted to hurt me, or at least it seemed like it.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yeah dude, up here in Plano, when I'm the first one in the row at a stoplight, and I accelerate faster than the other 2 people (just because that's what the car does), the other 2 people go NUTS! They're egotistical a-holes that think I'm trying to race them, and then they speed off (after like 10 seconds of catching up) and pass me going like 90 on a 40 in their shitty Corolla/Accords. It drives me crazy, because I wouldn't want to want to even WALK on the same sidewalk as them, but here I am forced to drive next to their crazy asses.

/end_rant

·
5,926 Posts
i do not have a really scary story but when i was in high school we went and egged a teachers house at like 3 in the morning(bad thing to do) some how he caught up to us and cut me off in my elcamino and caught my friends accord. we went on a high speed shase through the city and we passed a cop. the cop flipped a u-turn and started chasing all of us. than i got up front and the truck was the last one and got pulled over. it turned up that the guy was not the teacher and he was chasing who he thaught robbed his house. the guy got a ticket for wreckless driving and we got off with a warning for not calling the cops when he started chasing us. no one said one word about the egging that we did. the funny thing is that the guy lived next to the teacher so when he saw us leave he thaught we robbed him. apperently it happened at the same time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts