Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
mmm...beer
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all.

did this like 10 minutes ago. not really new or original, but still cool ;D
i see you guys have been doing lots of flat colors, dont get me wrong, they are sweet. well, i wanted something just a bit different. so i painted mine gloss black, and sprayed some shiny clear coat over that. now i can see myself in my emblem 8) i love it. still not dry enough to go on the car, so those pics will follow tomorrow. just something that still looks classy yet different from others. now.....for the rear >:D im gonna stop by my local autozone, and armed with a duplicolor paint code for TR (8802037), im gonna match my rear emblem with the trunk lid. hehe, should be sweet. it should blend right in from a far. will post pics when that is done sometime tomorrow, after i help my best buddy with his brakes. here are the pics of the front.

used:

dupli-color acrylic enamel (black)
dupli-color clear acrylic enamel
not so well ventilated area (my bathroom, too cold outside)

·
mmm...beer
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok.

here are some pics of it on the car, all of them are from my cell, so quality is not great. too lazy to get my actual camera and then hook it up to the pc and..... i thought about painting the inside red, but decided against it. i just want a simple clean look for now. maybe in time i will paint it black, or if the rear looks real good then will hit the front with some red too. will go in a little bit to get the paint, hope my autozone has it in stock.

·
mmm...beer
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:'( i just spent 2hrs running around trying to find the right paint, and i had no luck.

so unfortunatley, i will have to put my project on hold till i either buy some paint direct from duplicolor or find some on ebay. i hate waitin so this is not cool. but what can you do. ohh well. ill go debage it or something to keep me occupied O0

·
mmm...beer
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

finally got the paint i was looking for. my local paint shop had to special order it for me. the primer is almost dry, so after that i will hit it with a few coats of tr goodness. should have a pic of the emblem later on tonight, some on the car pics tomorrow. while am making a mess in my bathroom i might as well hit the stock bumper lights with some coats of tr. my smoked ones are cool, but if they tottaly blend in to the bumper, thats a whole nother story O0 >:D

·
mmm...beer
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok. 3 hours and a ton of clear coat later. here is what the rear emblem and the front bumper lights look like if you paint them tr to match the car. im sure its not an exact match, but one can only do so much with aftermarket paint. man, i should really go to bed soon. things i do for my fast....will have some pics of it on the car tomorrow. if i get up early enough then maybe some day shots, othervise its street lamp lighting till friday. i like the way it looks, but putting it on the car will either make or brake this project. this would be so much easier to do on a black car, or even a white one. trying to match the shades of red is kinda difficult, even if the can says tornado red on it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Looking fwd to seeing that rear emblem on the car.

Funny you had trouble locating the paint, TR was one of the only colors my local AutoZone had. They dont even make a UG.

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
zeonic said:
this would be so much easier to do on a black car, or even a white one. trying to match the shades of red is kinda difficult, even if the can says tornado red on it.
Trust me, the CW is not easy to match either. I tried. I failed miserably, and ended up blacking out the rear. Yours look good tho, waiting on pics O0

·
mmm...beer
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
here are the long awaited rear pics. the paint is a little off, but im not gonna stress over it. i knew this would be the case before i started. im still happy with the outcome. like the bumper lights allot more then i thought i would, cant beat that oem fit either. its raining here, as always, so i didnt go crazy on the pics. this saturday i should finish with the front eurolip upgrade, if its not raining ill get some good pics of the whole car.

·
Ex-Fahrenheit GTI Owner
1,312 Posts
The first thing I thought was: who has a F-in pink GTI, but then realized that it was the camera's fault. ;D

My honest opinion: I don't like the rear emblem painted - personal taste I guess, I do like the front one that you did.

·
mmm...beer
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Vegas Fahrenheit said:
The first thing I thought was: who has a F-in pink GTI, but then realized that it was the camera's fault. ;D

My honest opinion: I don't like the rear emblem painted - personal taste I guess, I do like the front one that you did.
;D hot pink is the new red ;D

yeah its one of those personall preference things, im not a big fan of chrome, plus i wanted something different. it looked better in my head though. i just wish the paint blended in better. but its all good. still one happy panda O0

·
Registered
842 Posts
Maybe you could give us a better pic of the back one........? In person can you still see the VW, or is it just a big red button now?

·
mmm...beer
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
uncle dude said:
Maybe you could give us a better pic of the back one........? In person can you still see the VW, or is it just a big red button now?
ill get some actual camera pics tomorrow, you can see the vw still, but its very faint. you have to be very close to tell what it is. does look like a botton ;D

wonder if people would be tempted to push it...... [fish]

·
mmm...beer
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
that would be sweet. ill have to look into that >:D

here are the long awaited pics. had to resize them at photobucket, so took longer to post. did the front eurolip last night after work. no, you dont need to buy the whole thing, upper and lower part. you can just get the bottom part from tmtuning.com. real simple to put it on there. just drill a few holes in the stock lip, shave a few tabs off of the lower euro part, use some doublesided tape along the front edge, screw the whole things together with the included screws, and your good to go. just like they have em back in germany.

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
What exactly happened to your rear emblem. Color is good, but it looks like you really overdid the sanding. ???

·
mmm...beer
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bcruzin said:
What exactly happened to your rear emblem. Color is good, but it looks like you really overdid the sanding. ???
no, i dont think i over did it on the sanding. the emblem is just a peace of aluminum, the vw edge is not raised much at all. since the whole thing is painted one colour, it seems like i shaved it down flat. i lightly sanded it. i did put allot of paint and clear on it, combined with the primer thats allot of extra stuff on there. i didnt think i would be able to see any resemblence of the letters, but it still comes through. not as sharp as stock, but it works for me O0

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
I blacked out mine, and there is much more definition of the VW. I dunno. Yours looks smoother I guess

·
mmm...beer
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bcruzin said:
I blacked out mine, and there is much more definition of the VW. I dunno. Yours looks smoother I guess
if you got pics i would like to see it. i was thinking about just blacking it out, but when i had the emblem removed, the black backing did not convince me that it was the best idea. now that i think about it thoug. if its just some flat black on there, it would be sharper looking, and could be kinda cool. i sprayed it with so much paint, and even more clear coat, that mine just looks flatter ;D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts