Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
to each his own...blacking it out wouldve been equally effective..but is what you did even legal in your area. i know every place is different but I know here i am we have some cops who have actually ripped the tint off..as well as neon lights, speaker cables, and the like.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess it all depends on what you consider illegal. Why would the police make that illegal in the first place? Cause they can't see if your breaking the law in your vehicle, right? Well if I'm not doing anything wrong, then I'm not doing anything illegal. Whats next, glass front walls for your house? I mean if they can't look inside, you must be doing something wrong.

·
Registered
857 Posts
RS9240G said:
Why would the police make that illegal in the first place?
For their own safety. They pull you over, walk up to your car, your windows are rolled up, they can't see inside, you pull a gun and shoot them, they wouldn't have even seen it coming. That's why it's illegal. Usually, tint can be darker on the back windows, but the drivers window needs to be almost transparent for this reason.

What state are you in? We'll see how long you last before you get pulled over for it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So why would I shoot a policeman? They give you a fix-it ticket for that so your out the cost of the tint job.... and if you pay someone to take it off.

·
Registered
857 Posts
RS9240G said:
So why would I shoot a policeman? They give you a fix-it ticket for that so your out the cost of the tint job.... and if you pay someone to take it off.
I'm not saying you would shoot a police officer, I'm telling you why tint like that is illegal.

·
Registered
280 Posts
10bv01 said:
RS9240G said:
I'm not saying you would shoot a police officer, I'm telling you why tint like that is illegal.
HAHA...sorry, but you have to admit, that's hilarious.

·
Registered
263 Posts
that cop killing thing is bullshit.

i think its because they cant see you with ur seatbelt on/off. for example, my neighbor got a ticket for driving without a seatbelt on. he fought it by taking pictures of the car from several angles with the windows rolled up. the cop wouldnt have been able to see if he had it on or off. he ended up getting off with just a fix it ticket

·
Registered
280 Posts
yee said:
that cop killing thing is bullshit.

i think its because they cant see you with ur seatbelt on/off. for example, my neighbor got a ticket for driving without a seatbelt on. he fought it by taking pictures of the car from several angles with the windows rolled up. the cop wouldnt have been able to see if he had it on or off. he ended up getting off with just a fix it ticket
Actually, 10bv01 is right. I've personally heard that from a cop, and also it's fairly common knowledge that that is why you can't tint your windows to unreasonable levels. I'm sure there are other reasons, as well, but this is definitely one of the main ones.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So back to my original point..... if I'm not doing anything wrong in my car, why should it be illegal? Maybe if I had a high end luxury car, then it wouldn't be an issue. I see BMW's, Mercedes and Bentley's with dark tint in their front windows. Go to Hollywood and Beverly Hills and you'll see douche bags with tint that I'm sure would get them a ticket. But since they are rich, they must not be doing anything wrong in their cars.

·
Registered
245 Posts
RS9240G said:
So back to my original point..... if I'm not doing anything wrong in my car, why should it be illegal? Maybe if I had a high end luxury car, then it wouldn't be an issue. I see BMW's, Mercedes and Bentley's with dark tint in their front windows. Go to Hollywood and Beverly Hills and you'll see douche bags with tint that I'm sure would get them a ticket. But since they are rich, they must not be doing anything wrong in their cars.
It is illegal because of the law on the books, not because of what they are doing in the car.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
RS9240G said:
Dude...It doesn't have anything to do with who you are, what you drive, how much money you have or what you are doing wrong in your car. It is just as FASTADDICT said. Cops risk their life walking up on every car they stop. They don't know you from the guy who just robbed a liquor store or killed his girlfriend etc. etc.

For all the cop knows, you are going to try and kill him. Imagine this....he wants to be able to see if someone is pointing a cannon at his head as he walks up on the car. Wouldn't you? If you take that personlly, I don't know what to tell you. The only advice I can offer is when and if you get stopped you should always roll your windows down, turn off your car and put both your hands on the steering wheel, keeping them in plain site the entire length of the contact. It puts the cop at ease, shows him you respect that he is risking his life for people who hate him every day and will generally make everything go easier.

You may hate cops, authority, whatever. The reality is, your'e not gonna win with the cops. If you act like a shit to a cop, he's gonna make life hard for you. If you let him do his trip and show him a bit of respect, chances are he'll go on his way without scratching you a ticket. Trust me.....been there done that waaaaaaay too many times.

Please note this does not apply to the California Highway Patrol....they are assholes regardless of what you do!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
22350 said:
RS9240G said:
Dude...It doesn't have anything to do with who you are, what you drive, how much money you have or what you are doing wrong in your car. It is just as FASTADDICT said. Cops risk their life walking up on every car they stop. They don't know you from the guy who just robbed a liquor store or killed his girlfriend etc. etc.

For all the cop knows, you are going to try and kill him. Imagine this....he wants to be able to see if someone is pointing a cannon at his head as he walks up on the car. Wouldn't you? If you take that personlly, I don't know what to tell you. The only advice I can offer is when and if you get stopped you should always roll your windows down, turn off your car and put both your hands on the steering wheel, keeping them in plain site the entire length of the contact. It puts the cop at ease, shows him you respect that he is risking his life for people who hate him every day and will generally make everything go easier.

You may hate cops, authority, whatever. The reality is, your'e not gonna win with the cops. If you act like a shit to a cop, he's gonna make life hard for you. If you let him do his trip and show him a bit of respect, chances are he'll go on his way without scratching you a ticket. Trust me.....been there done that waaaaaaay too many times.

Please note this does not apply to the California Highway Patrol....they are assholes regardless of what you do!!
a couple of things I have to add to this thread.

1) The tint is hidious!!!! IMO

2) You should drive up to a cop with your windows up and then ask him if the tint is illegal. I bet he takes a razor blade and scrapes it right off then and there.

3) Great points made by 22350? , one thing to add that I always do when I get pulled over is take the keys out of the ignition and leave them on the dashboard.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
22350 said:
Ahahahahaha!^^^ So true.

One other thing to add to the rolling down the windows: If you are stopped at night turn on your dome light.

If you cop and attitude with the officer- expect to hear "Press hard, three copies..."

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
RS9240G said:
So if everyone else was jumping off a bridge... ;)

Here's some tint guidlines by state: http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html

IIRC in California... the first offense is a fix-it ticket. Second offense is a fine and fix it.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Dragon said:
22350 said:
1. one thing to add that I always do when I get pulled over is take the keys out of the ignition and leave them on the dashboard.

2.One other thing to add to the rolling down the windows: If you are stopped at night turn on your dome light.

If you cop and attitude with the officer- expect to hear "Press hard, three copies..."
Two very excellent ideas gentlemen.....whatever it takes.....

Simple and sweet:

Happy cop = your only chance to not get cited

Angry cop = You win a chance to try on some nice, polished nickel bracelets and a night sleeping on a painted concrete floor with a bunch of assholes around for company while your ride gets towed by bubba to a yard in Siberia where some *******'s abortion is gonna jackoff in the passenger seat, F-up your paint and charge you a fortune to get it back.

You decide

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
22350 said:
RS9240G said:

Well yeah, common sense does dictate to do the above steps if you are pulled over. I commend whoever raised you and taught you to do this in the event you get pulled over. I have always done this no matter what car I am in. Especially crossing the Border, the BP can be a-holes at times but I don't blame em. Plus, I don't want a trigger happy cop who is just waiting for an excuse to shoot at someone cause his buddy is banging his wife. I like the way it looks. I'm happy with it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts