Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
hey everyone has to learn somewhere. my dad was the first one in his family to have a car so it took him awhile just to figure out how to turn it on. be nice O0

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm assuming you have the DSG since you said "Auto Drive"

the way the DSG works is very similar to a standard manual transmission in that when idle, the transmission is uncoupled from the engine. that roll that you feel is the time it takes for the DSG to engage the clutch and put you in gear. You would combat this the same way you would in a standard manual (minus the left leg work). Just give it a little gas right before you get off the break. it will get the car to engage 1st gear so that when you get off the brake, the car goes forward instead of backwards.

Do not use the ebrake. Thats a beginers assistant for driving a standard manual transmission. there is no need on the dsg since the computer contorlls the clutch. Just a lil gass...and ur good to go

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone,
I am a newbie (fr the a Far East country, MALAYSIA) to this forum with a DSG gti (2007) that is one month old. Having had a WRX manual for 6 years, I can understand the 'slight slip' that you may be facing like say on a slope upon engaging the shift (esp when reversing). One would have to apply the correct amount of gas (pedal) to avoid it from slipping. It is only my guess that the timing and/or amount of gas supplied on idle that causes this. It is a minor problem that i face too. I just have tp pay a little more attention and a situation such as at a slope. I would imagine there could be other problems if VW sets it differently, esp with a DSG system.
Like I said, if it is just a minor slip (unlike traditional auto cars) i would live with it..a little practice on foot and hand work would do the trick of avoiding a slip too far... ;)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Great country you live in. I was just there for the last GTP races in Kaula Lumpor (when was that, I can't remember?).

Are you saying that you are looking for the car to hold on a slope at a stop without applying the brake?

·
Registered
11 Posts
isnt there some car company that makes a drivetrain that wont drift on a hill? thought i remember hearing about it, but i know we defiantely dont have that with our gti.

·
Registered
22 Posts
08 WRXs have an "incline start assist" with the manual transmission. Holds the rear brakes for 2 or 3 seconds when pulling out on a hill. Some, maybe all BMWs have it too.

I don't see why you would need that in a normal automatic. Even if the GTI DSG allows a bit of roll back(havent driven one yet), I don't see what the big deal is. How hard is it to press on the gas pedal.

Pulling out on a steep hill in my 5sp Impreza with the crappy throttle response, now thats frustrating.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
ya, even though the car is in drive, when you on a hill, it feels like its in neutral. When I try to park in a sloped parking lot, its a pain, cause you cant just let off the brake to roll forward to move up. Eventually the car 'catches it self' and stop rolling backward. I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that its a DSG tranny?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sounds like it has everything to do with the DSG transmission. From what I've heard/read it is designed to behave like that, you have to give some gas for the computerized clutch to engage.
Out of curiousity though, how long of a delay is there, once on the gas that is?

·
Registered
223 Posts
with the DSG...it IS in neutral if you are at a stop. If it wasn't....the car would stall. The delay is just the time it takes for the clutch to activate...less than a second.

really...its not a bug, its not a design flaw....its normal. Why think about something so trivial

and BTW....use your PARKING break when you PARK....thats why it's there....to keep the stress off of the transmission.

·
Registered
556 Posts
It's kinda cool though, it looks like you're driving a manual with the perks of the DSG O0

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.