Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tuning GTi help!

Hello,
i got my second car Vw Golf GTi 1.8turbo '00, and i found out it's easy to tune them,
and i got like 260 euros to spend every month on the car, i want to get more horsepower and torque,
and what should i tune first? should i get it chipped first?

and as i forgot to ask, what's the max boost on it stock? with NO tunes at all? can i run it on 14psi? with no problems?

sorry for bad english :)

·
Registered
440 Posts
chip it first. It depends what year you are for how much boost stock.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't mean to be curt or anything... but there's a sticky thread on this subject. It's the second post you can click on on the MKIV GTI part of the forum. You don't even need a search button.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Re: Tuning GTi help!

Congrats on the ride man.

A Tune will be good for much more horsepower and torque. At max, without a tune, I wouldn't run more than 15psi of boost. The 1.8t is mostly electrically controlled so the boost will go up to about 18-22 with a Tune. Also, a Turbo Back Exhaust, intake, Suspension will help you enjoy the car much much more.

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
I would like to know what is better REVO or APR
Revo is better at blowing up motors, and apr is better at winning races. up to u

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Yeaaa Il tell u about gfchips, they are full of ****, solder in chips dont go in mk4 and newer gtis, it prolly won't do **** exept fry your ecu, go apr

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
anything with the phrase gf in it is bad news haha, but seriously id recommend apr or uni. i hear giac is good too but i dont have any personal experience with them. and congrats on the car O0

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Yeaaa Il tell u about gfchips, they are full of ****, solder in chips dont go in mk4 and newer gtis, it prolly won't do **** exept fry your ecu, go apr
this is false.... before they truely hack the ECU the companies make soldier in chips.

·
Registered
2 Posts
anything with the phrase gf in it is bad news haha, but seriously id recommend apr or uni. i hear giac is good too but i dont have any personal experience with them. and congrats on the car O0
Hello GTI fans.

I'm a GIAC chip user, and believe, It's worth every penny. My GTI passed from 178 crank HP to nearly 190 WHP, measured at the dyno. That relates to about 218 hp, plus some truly different and monstrous 225 lb-ft of torque at 2200rpm! Fuel economy is improved and the odious and artificial electronic delay in throttle response is completely removed! I shaved a nearly full second in the quarter mile runs, from 15.8 to 14.9 with factory tyres! PLUS at highway speeds you will NEVER need to shift down again. The torque is truly monstrous and very welcomed.

My brother-in-law owns an APR-chipped K04-swapped MKV and they too do extract massive torque and horsepower from an otherwise stock engine. More so, I think, but then they also command a bigger price for the tuning.

I´m staying with GIAC since they offered me easy and competitive upgrade path when I choose to swap my K03s turbine to a bigger K04-001. Nearly 300hp with the proper fueling in place (380cc injectors, downpipe and FMIC)

Don't drive a GTI without chip tuning from these respected tuners! You're missing all the real fun.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I wouldn't say it's that demanding -- keep in mind he's probably going with a stage 1 or 2 set up depending on any mods what so ever.

UNI stage two requires you have a turbo back exhaust system, intake (which K&N would suffice), dv, updated coilpacks and recommends an intercooler. I've been running my software on everything but an upgraded intercooler and the most I've had issues with is having to refill my coolant twice a year...in PHX.

You can run a stage one with an intake, updated coils, dv, and nothing else and not have a single problem. I would assume both required fields would be pretty standard. Obviously if someone chips or alters their car without having made accommodations first, their chances of encountering issues is heightened.

My advice would be to get better airflow before chipping the car. At the rate of income he's dealing with, it won't be that far out.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
I wouldn't say it's that demanding -- keep in mind he's probably going with a stage 1 or 2 set up depending on any mods what so ever.

UNI stage two requires you have a turbo back exhaust system, intake (which K&N would suffice), dv, updated coilpacks and recommends an intercooler. I've been running my software on everything but an upgraded intercooler and the most I've had issues with is having to refill my coolant twice a year...in PHX.

You can run a stage one with an intake, updated coils, dv, and nothing else and not have a single problem. I would assume both required fields would be pretty standard. Obviously if someone chips or alters their car without having made accommodations first, their chances of encountering issues is heightened.

My advice would be to get better airflow before chipping the car. At the rate of income he's dealing with, it won't be that far out.
uni finds the point at where your car blows up.. then turns it down 1 notch... so your right on the line of blowing up and not...alot of my friends are uni. they love it im not knocking it or anything just stating facts.

·
Registered
49 Posts
uni finds the point at where your car blows up.. then turns it down 1 notch... so your right on the line of blowing up and not...alot of my friends are uni. they love it im not knocking it or anything just stating facts.
hmmmm, do you have any evidence to support that claim?

Even compared to APR's stage 1 for the AWP motor, we're talking a difference of 6hp and 7ft-lb tq. Unitronic's stage one will spike at 17 and I've even heard APR isn't far off. I don't see how this would be pushing a car to necessarily "blow up".

-APR also recommends the same upgrades AND more, even so far as to recommend an upgraded throttle body hose and inlet piping. I don't see how this would be any less demanding than UNI's software.

I know it's not your intention to knock brands, but I just want to know how a car can blow up based on these similar numbers. Are we talking big turbo?

Like I said, I think it's best to get everything in order and make the necessary accommodations before chipping any car. If someone slaps software in their car without researching the recommendations suggested by the company, I wouldn't say it's so much the company's fault but rather the owners.

·
Registered
49 Posts
BTW, the biggest issue I have with Unitronic is the distance between me and a local dealer. Last time I got an upgrade was Wuste of '10, and the Cali reps were nice enough to give me a discount. You can mail in your ECU, but it still takes a couple of days if you're a state away.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
hmmmm, do you have any evidence to support that claim?

Even compared to APR's stage 1 for the AWP motor, we're talking a difference of 6hp and 7ft-lb tq. Unitronic's stage one will spike at 17 and I've even heard APR isn't far off. I don't see how this would be pushing a car to necessarily "blow up".

-APR also recommends the same upgrades AND more, even so far as to recommend an upgraded throttle body hose and inlet piping. I don't see how this would be any less demanding than UNI's software.

I know it's not your intention to knock brands, but I just want to know how a car can blow up based on these similar numbers. Are we talking big turbo?

Like I said, I think it's best to get everything in order and make the necessary accommodations before chipping any car. If someone slaps software in their car without researching the recommendations suggested by the company, I wouldn't say it's so much the company's fault but rather the owners.
the unidealer has a get to gether weekly near my house, so im there all the time and ive talked to the people who flash there cars.... but im not knocking uni only reason i didnt go uni was because APR was having a sale for 4 tunes + extras for cheaper then unis one tune.

·
Registered
49 Posts
the unidealer has a get to gether weekly near my house, so im there all the time and ive talked to the people who flash there cars.... but im not knocking uni only reason i didnt go uni was because APR was having a sale for 4 tunes + extras for cheaper then unis one tune.
I don't know man, unless Unitronic is lying about their charts they're specs are VERY similar to what's out there. No cause for problems on paper, no horror stories I've ever heard before. I don't find any hard evidence or any reason to think differently. I'm thinking whoever told you about their car "blowing up", being too demanding or otherwise, might've been withholding some key details to that particular situation.

And to be perfectly honest, saying a company's product caused irreparable damage is doing a little more then knocking them. If you like APR, then like APR. If you've never run UNI, then how would you really know this issue exists -- through word of mouth?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts