Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i was at work tonight and a customer came in and said does somone drive a red sports car, and i instantly went shit what happened. She said that someone hit it and i figured that someone backed into it and maybe broke a headlight or something like that. So i get out there and the lady driving a f150 had jumped the curb went through the grass and hit the side of my car. There was mud all over my car and there was a dent about a footlong and a foot tall just behind my passenger door. I wasn't very happy and couldn't figure out how they did this. So the firs thing i did was call the cops and then went over to the passenger door of the other car and talked to the guy and get this when i asked him if he hit my car his response was "no we just parked here i don't know what you are talking about". I was dumbfounded his truck was covered in mud there were tire tracks right next to my car and a brand new dent in the side. I couldn't beleive this was happening. I will have more information on the damage tomorrow when i can clean off the car and take pictures in the morning. OH and i forgot the worst part, she didn't have a drivers license or insurance and got arrested. Seeing her loaded into the police van made it a little better for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Damn, that's no fun :( Hang in there and try to chill. No, it won't get much better, but if you can get by the first day it'll be alright. As long as your insurance is up to date, you've got nothing to worry about.

Let us know if there were witnesses or their are any other details about the perp who can't park straight.
Sorry for your loss...

RoninRo

·
Registered
473 Posts
06TRMKV,

Sorry to hear that. Get that lady's info who told you about your car getting hit in case they wanna fight the charges. My past car got hit and I took lots of pictures of the scene, my car and the other car. I hope you did too. Do indeed take it easy tonight because theres nothing you can do.. you did nothing wrong. Call it into your insurance ASAP and get with the Po-po and get the report number and officer name if you can. Im sure your insurance will need it. I hope your damage is limited and you get repaired properly.

Glad to hear you werent in the car and didnt get injured. Your fast will come back.. just sucks! Take care..

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah thanks guys i'm trying to take it easy, the damage isn't to bad but it still sucks and even though there isn't any damage on the passenger door it still doesn't open. its like jammed close. That should make for some interesting repairs. I have some pictures that i'm trying to resize now to get uploaded on here of the damage and all the mud that caked the side of my car. And as for the witness i did get all of her information included a cell phone and a home phone that i can reach her at. I also gave this information to the cop and she said she would contact them to make sure that the lady's story matched what they saw and what i said.

·
Registered
30 Posts
your lucky man my truck got hit by this girl same story she did not have anything not even a green card if you know what i mean. cop came looked at my truck, lucky for me my truck had nothing wrong with it i was just freaking cuz my truck was kind of new and i was like ok it's got a bent frame or something but i got off easy nothing happend to my big red the bumper held up nice to her 30 mph side swip and her car was fucked, but ya ware i was going with this, O ya she had nothing and she walked not even a ticket she had kids with her so i think that is why she got off but man was i ticked off cuz i know if it was me i would be in jail and all that but i guess that it would'ent be me cuz i have a f-ing clue

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah i was so pissed and yeah this lady had kids with her too and i think the cops could tell they were gonna try and leave beforethey got there because in a matter a of 5 min there was another truck there helping them change the flat tire that was making them so that they couldn't leave. The first thing i did was get their liscense plate number and i'm pretty sure this lady didn't have anything either (in the way of a green card or any type of papers) but i was very glad to see that they took her away in handcuffs. And i'm not trying to sound mean or derogatory when i say she didn't have any papers but i work in a heavy hispanic area and i can kinda tell the people who are here legally and the ones who are not and she seemed like she was not. I'm gonna end this now because i don't want anyone taking this the wrong way and its probably just me being pissed that my fast has to have more body work done because as it is the hood front bumper and two front fenders aren't the original ones. This just sucks. Oh well, i will get over it i can't change anything now.

·
Registered
473 Posts
You didnt come across that way to me. Just put it into perspective. Yap it did sound like they were not gonna do the right thing. Good thing you were on top of the scene.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah it really sucks and you cant really see it but they also hit the door handle and and the passenger door barely opens. There are also scratches all along the side before the dent that i didn't notice last night. I also went to my insurance agent and found out that sense she doesn't have insurance i am still stuck paying the 500 dollar deductible which i am so pissed about. I never even thought about that last night. I am even more pissed off now. The only consilation the insurance agent told me was that they would try and sue the lady and get my money back for the deductible but they said that if she doesn't have a job or any money the judge will just say its not worth it and i am S.O.L.

·
Registered
273 Posts
damn bro that sucks. I'm sorry to see a FAST messed up. I would be SOOO pissed if that happened to mine. I can't even stand to have road chips on it lol. I hope everything works out for you man.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Dang that sux (saw the pictures). Gotta pay the deductable too. Its like you cant win for doing nothing at all and yes your baby will come back just insist on genuine VW parts and critique the living s*** out of the maintenance done. You know that door is gonna be suspect and drive it a bit for road noise before you buy it back. If they are gonna make you pay, well i guess they get a little salty, eagle-eyed customer and I would want good return for my dollars. Hang in there!!!

·
Registered
321 Posts
06TRMKV said:
Yeah it really sucks and you cant really see it but they also hit the door handle and and the passenger door barely opens. There are also scratches all along the side before the dent that i didn't notice last night. I also went to my insurance agent and found out that sense she doesn't have insurance i am still stuck paying the 500 dollar deductible which i am so pissed about. I never even thought about that last night. I am even more pissed off now. The only consilation the insurance agent told me was that they would try and sue the lady and get my money back for the deductible but they said that if she doesn't have a job or any money the judge will just say its not worth it and i am S.O.L.
Do you have Uninsured Motorist coverage? If so, you shouldn't have to pay a deductible. Who's your insurer? Also, I don't know where you work, but do you know if they have cameras watching the parking lot? You mentioned a customer came in so I'm assuming you work at a retail establishment. Most of these places have cctv in the parking lot. If so, I would definitely get a copy of that tape. I wouldn't count on the insurance company giving you any money back if they won a settlement. I would get my shit together and take her to small claims court myself. She has to pay whether she has a job or not. They will repossess her assets to cover the settlement if she can't come up with the cash. If you need more info on this let me know what state you are in and I'll help you out with the legals.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MicMoor you sound like you know a hell of a lot more than i do, and yeah i do have uninsured motorist coverage and thats why i thought i wouldn't have to pay the deductible but the lady there said i still would. I live in Illinois and i am covered by State Farm. As for the camera situation that is a negative but i do have the information of the witnesses who saw it happen so if i do have to take her to court then i can contact them and have them help. But the lady was ticketed and arrested on the scene. I don't know how much that will help but i'm pretty sure it means something. Any information you can give me i would aprreciate it because i'm only 21 and this is my first real deal with the insurance with a claim like this and it doesn't help my parents are out of town at the time and i'm still covered under their insurance because i go to school full time and live at home.

·
Registered
321 Posts
First you should verify with your insurance company that you still have to pay a deductible even though the other person was at fault. That's total BS if you do though, just let them know that I said that. Anyway, if you end up having to pay the deductible then you should take the person at fault to small claims court to collect. In some rare cases that other person will own up and give you the money and avoid the court. The first thing you need to do is go to your local police department and ask them for guidance on how to file a claim in small claims court. They should have some literature or pamphlets to give you more information on the proceedings. Here is a link that tells you a little about what to expect: http://www.illinoislegalaid.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.dsp_content&contentID=1001

You will want to bring the witnesses with you to the court. If they can't make it then get a sworn statement from them. Check with your court to see if that will suffice. Bring all your documentation, receipts for money you spent out of pocket, etc. You will also need to have a detailed list of the items and amounts for which you are suing. You can get your deductible and court costs back at the very least.

Once the hearing is over the judge will probably "reserve decision", which means he won't give it to you right away. He/she will probably review his notes and make a decision later and notify you by mail. You will probably win since you have a pretty open/shut case. Then the defendant will be notified that they have to pay. If they don't pay right away the court will assist you in collecting the money. They can go as far as seizing assets and garnishing wages. So, unless this person has absolutely nothing of value you should be able to collect.

You will need to have her address to file the initial claim with the court, so make sure you get that from the police. Just hope she doesn't leave the country.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey micmoor thanks for all the help i really appreciate it. I'm gonna take my car in tomorrow for the estimate and then go to the insurance office and find out if i really do have to pay the deductible because i do have uninsured motorirst insurance and i really don't think i should have to pay the deductible because of it. But thanks again for all the help every one and i'm gonna getthis taken care of.

·
Registered
577 Posts
MicMoor77 said:
First you should verify with your insurance company that you still have to pay a deductible even though the other person was at fault. That's total BS if you do though, just let them know that I said that. Anyway, if you end up having to pay the deductible then you should take the person at fault to small claims court to collect. In some rare cases that other person will own up and give you the money and avoid the court. The first thing you need to do is go to your local police department and ask them for guidance on how to file a claim in small claims court. They should have some literature or pamphlets to give you more information on the proceedings. Here is a link that tells you a little about what to expect: http://www.illinoislegalaid.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.dsp_content&contentID=1001

You will want to bring the witnesses with you to the court. If they can't make it then get a sworn statement from them. Check with your court to see if that will suffice. Bring all your doNot Allowedentation, receipts for money you spent out of pocket, etc. You will also need to have a detailed list of the items and amounts for which you are suing. You can get your deductible and court costs back at the very least.

Once the hearing is over the judge will probably "reserve decision", which means he won't give it to you right away. He/she will probably review his notes and make a decision later and notify you by mail. You will probably win since you have a pretty open/shut case. Then the defendant will be notified that they have to pay. If they don't pay right away the court will assist you in collecting the money. They can go as far as seizing assets and garnishing wages. So, unless this person has absolutely nothing of value you should be able to collect.

You will need to have her address to file the initial claim with the court, so make sure you get that from the police. Just hope she doesn't leave the country.
The problem with most illegal immigrants is that they do all their work under the table... so garnishing of wages isnt likely to pan out, the court siezing her property isnt something i know too much about - how does that work exactly?

The court will pay uniformed officers to sieze her property and then what? they sell it at auction? sounds like the court would have to do alot to get him his money back and honestly i cant ever remembering anyone in my 39 years who ever was reimbursed this way...but as i said, i dont know...i just hope it pans out for you, it really really chaps my ass about these insurance companies more than it does when people have accidents and hit your car.

Accidents happen, but its no suprise you are paying hundreds of dollars a month then when you need insurance they say your uninsured motorist protection doesnt protect you...WTF?? I would ask her WTF is uninsured motorist protection for? besides putting more effin money in your pocket!!!!

good luck bro

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay here is an update, my car is in the body shop now. The guy said for probably about a week and a half. I got a rental, an 08 Pontiac Grand Prix, I don't like the car at all so far its way to big. I am thinking about calling enterprise and seeing if they have anything that is a little smaller. The estimate for my car was just under 2000 dollars. I couldn't believe that dent was 2000 dollars. I want my fast back.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah i know kinda hard to believe but the lady hit me right on the seem of the passenger door so they have to replace the door handle and fix the shell of the door. But hopefully it is done next week.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts