Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car to a car wash the other day. One of those where they take it and wash it for you well aparently they broke my driver seat it no longer slides forward or back. Its just stuck all the way back. Or atleast i think it is. I had the dealership look at it when i took it in for an oil change the other day and had to make another appointment because the Tech told me the he was going to have to rip it out and it would probably do more damage than he could fix in an hour or so. So now i have to have a loner from the dealer. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem with their seats. And also if anyone has had a loner from a VW dealer what kind of car did you get bc i'm affraid to get like passat wagon or something like that. Because that would blow to have to drive for a weekend.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Mine was like that when i bought it. A plastic end on the release cable has separated. They didn't have a cable so, rather than put the seat back in and have to remove it later, they just swapped the seat out from another new car.

·
Registered
300 Posts
BTW, I'm on a loaner right now, and it's a Jetta 2.5 manual. They asked if I wanted a stick or an auto, so at least my dealership gives some options.

Flooring it sure doesn't have the same effect though.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
I've only had my GTI for 2 weeks... today actually. Huh... well anyway. I got mine with a small chip in the paint on the driver's side door. The sales lady said, we want your car to be perfect so bring it in when the detailing guy is here and you won't even know the chip was there. I have a college class wednesday mornings (the only day the guy is there) and I told her that. She told me to bring it in on Tuesday night and they'd give me a loner. I got a 2006 2.5L Jetta. It was... not the same. The engine felt like it was pulling enough but i didn't feel it. That 2.0T is way different. It actually gives me mini whiplash when I accelerate. But for a loner car, the Jetta was pretty good... except for the hubcaps. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
The same thing happened to my driver seat but I have a MKIV.. the seat wont click into place. It just slides back and forth. Now I'm driving with pillows behind my back so I can reach the pedals. I think it's the cable that's broken

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Wow, 3 1/2 year thread revival. Could be a record!

·
Super Moderator
10,066 Posts
close but ive seen a better revival

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alright, I'm going to revive this thread as well. My driver seat also broke in my MKIV. I've been google-ing this all day at work to no avail! I'm thinking it must not be the cable. I am able to pull the lever and the seat will slide back and forth. However, when I release the lever, the seat does not lock into place. I'm thinking that there must be a spring that normally puts a pin back into place? Has anyone fixed this? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
I have this problem in my corrado. Solution I have is to put the seat to the preferred position, carefully get out without moving the seat, then grab the upper cushion and push the seat towards the passenger side and pull it towards you. You should hear it snap and lock into place. May have to do it a few times for it to work, but it works in my corrado so hopefully it does for you too.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I've only had my GTI for 2 weeks... today actually. Huh... well anyway. I got mine with a small chip in the paint on the driver's side door. The sales lady said, we want your car to be perfect so bring it in when the detailing guy is here and you won't even know the chip was there. I have a college class wednesday mornings (the only day the guy is there) and I told her that. She told me to bring it in on Tuesday night and they'd give me a loner. I got a 2006 2.5L Jetta. It was... not the same. The engine felt like it was pulling enough but i didn't feel it. That 2.0T is way different. It actually gives me mini whiplash when I accelerate. But for a loner car, the Jetta was pretty good... except for the hubcaps. :)
Keep in mind though that the 06-07 2.5L Jettas have less power than the 08-09 Jettas. 08 and 09 2.5L saw a power increase from 150hp to 170hp. I had an 08 Rabbit MKV, and while it was NOTHING like flooring my GTI, i deff noticed more kick in my Bunny, when I compared it to my friends 06 Jetta. I also experienced that sensation where it felt like it was pulling hard, but I couldn't feel it.

Anyway, that's ridiculous dude, is the car wash paying for the damages?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reviving this thread once more. Did anyone ever find a solution for this? My driver's seat is stuck in the far back position on my MKV. I think something is lodged in there as I see the cable and mechanism move when I pull the adjustment lever. My first idea was to remove the seat completely to have more room to work with but only the front two bolts are exposed for the rails and since the seat is stuck in the back position, I can't reach the rear bolts. Any other ideas? How can I remove the seat from the rails without moving the rails? I tried search online but found no love. I went to the dealer but since it's 2016 i'm like 9 years (i can't believe i've had this car that long) out of warranty and they want about $250 in labor plus parts which they estimate to be about $300. Help

1 - 14 of 14 Posts