Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am going to need some help figuring out acar problem I came upon this morning...IT WOULDN'T START!

My car has 4896 miles (NEW) and engine wise I have only installed an intake and ran the REVO trial (a month ago).

Here is the story:

MId day yesterday I was driving back to my apartment from campus and decided to push my car a bit, having not done so in a while. My shifting was far from redline, but I was still going at it. All of a sudden in 3rd gear going 40 I feel a strange shake in the steering wheel and 30 seconds later I feel hot air coming out of the air vents (I didn't have the AC on). I got worried so I took it easy the rest of the way home and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary in the handling or performance.

This morning, I put the key in the egnition, and...nothing. The car wouldn't start, the "P R N D S" icons on the MFD were flashing in a red box and the CEL came on.

I really got scared and popped the hood but didn't see anything strange and there was no puddle underneath the car.

I tried turning it on several times with no avail. I then left the key in the egnition for about 5 minutes, came back and tried again. This time it worked and the CEL did not show up. I decided not to take my car incase something were to happen. THe problem was that now, I couldn't get my key out of the egnition.
Again I tried a few times and it eventually let me take it out...

I am really puzzled by this behavior and am wondering if this has happened to any of you, or if you have any idea what it could be due to.

I have my 5000 mile service scheduled for this wednesday but I am skeptical to mention it to them since they might void my warranty claiming it was the fault of my intake...What do you guys think?
[help] [help]

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
Have you gotten the impression that your dealer is gonna be unforgiving when it comes to mods? Mine looks the other way. At least when it comes to my intake.

The first thing that came to mind was some kind of overheating, was your temp gauge spiking? You probably would have mentioned that if it had.. I would still take it in. I wouldn't talk about the Revo trial thats for sure. Your car sounds possessed.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bcruzin said:
The first thing that came to mind was some kind of overheating, was your temp gauge spiking? You probably would have mentioned that if it had.. I would still take it in. I wouldn't talk about the Revo trial thats for sure. Your car sounds possessed.
I have no idea what hte dealer will say since I did not buy my car there...I know for a fact that the engine wasn't overheating, it was the first thing I checked.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I would take it in immediately and tell them what happened. They should be able to see a history in the computer and find out what the CEL was for. It sounds like an electrical problem, maybe a sensor or something. Anyway, unless the intake is the direct cause of any issue there should be no reason for them to void your warranty. I wouldn't mention the revo thing. Your car is very new and you shouldn't have to be worrying about things like this. That's what warranties are for. Take advantage of your warranty and make sure your Fast is okay.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bump

ok I just checked my car and it turned on succesfully this time...I didn't drive it, but I could feel just by reving a little to 2000rpm that something is wrong...the CEL is still showing up on the dash [violin]

·
Registered
842 Posts
mattabaziou said:
bump

ok I just checked my car and it turned on succesfully this time...I didn't drive it, but I could feel just by reving a little to 2000rpm that something is wrong...the CEL is still showing up on the dash [violin]
M - I would tow it. You have the coverage so use it - I wouldn't risk driving it. Do you think it had something to do with the revo?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Totally agree with uncle.. you got tow coverage use it. Not worth riding on razors edge and hoping it doesnt break getting to dealer. Could do more harm than good. Just tell them you popped a CEL and wasnt sure along with it wouldnt start. Keep the Revo on the D/L. They are gonna diagnose and see the CEL even if you chanced it and drove it in. Better safe than sorry. Keep us posted as to what they said it was. Best wishes..

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
that is definitely odd. did you put your intake on yourself, cause the mass air flow sensor could be a problem if you didn't put it back on properly. also the revo could have caused a problem. see if you could possibly get it reflashed. if that doesn't work, its gotta be the car.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was talking to a friend of mine that does a lot of work on his old S4...He told me that the 1.8T engines had a lot of problems with their egnition coils.

Apparently the 2.0T engine has also had a few issues with faulty coils. The main symptoms, which my car has, is a shaky idle rpm

I am, just in case going to get my car towed to the dealership and see what they say.

WaZzAp1101 said:
that is definitely odd. did you put your intake on yourself, cause the mass air flow sensor could be a problem if you didn't put it back on properly. also the revo could have caused a problem. see if you could possibly get it reflashed. if that doesn't work, its gotta be the car.
I did install the intake myself...but that was over the summer and I have had no previous issues with it.

The REVO software was only a 5 hour trial I used up over a month ago so that cant be the issue

I'll let you all know what the dealer says

1 - 10 of 10 Posts