Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am really thinking of getting the APR stage 1. i was just wondering if the MPG goes down or up with this chip? i searched for a while and did not see anything dealing with this if there is please help and point me in the right direction. thanks 8)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
no one? what do you think would happen to the MPG if you do not have APR or other chips just would like to know

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
thedudes said:
no one? what do you think would happen to the MPG if you do not have APR or other chips just would like to know
If you are worried about MPG, you may want to consider software that is switchable(back to stock.) O0

·
Registered
842 Posts
Dragon said:
thedudes said:
If you are worried about MPG, you may want to consider software that is switchable(back to stock.) O0
I thought you were going to say get a Prius [fish]

·
Registered
193 Posts
if u drove exactly the same speed u would get better mpg........ butttttttttt with the extra power it is hard to not want to give it a lil more O0

·
Registered
43 Posts
I got the sps unit with my REVO which makes it switchable, its not a total hassel to switch it back to stock at all, but i never do cause you never know when your gunna need it on. Any ways, and I have found that my MPG has gone DOWN, but but but but but DO NOT let that discourage you. The few MPG's I have lost are made back 10 fold on FMPG's= Fun Moments Per Gallon. Once you CHIP your Gti's all you "unchipped" drivers, you'll know exactly what I am talking about. Its like having a totally different car. The response, the aggressiveness, the tuning, THE SOUND, everything is heightened and changed for the BEST, it is bang for buck the BEST upgrade you can do to your Gti. Well worth the $400+. And I am "ballin on a budget" and haven't regretted this purchase EVER!!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I was just curious if it went up because the more power you would not have to hit the gas for as long I donÂ’t know just wondered. I am still going to get the chip as soon as I buy my new camera and lens its time to save up for the chip eta 4 weeks. I hope ::)

·
mmm...beer
2,815 Posts
a chip is what i have in mind for my next mod. dont know what brand i will go with yet. will decide when i finally save up enough, in a month, or two, most likely 3 :'( more power is always good O0

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have been running the APR chip for about a year. If I drive it easy it seems to be about the same or even better. The problem is with the chip you really want to drive it fast and that wont save you gas.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Zebman said:
Fuel powers your vehicle. More power, more fuel. Quite simple. Your mpg should drop.
Not necessarily. The internal combustion engine is quite inefficient. The amount of energy loss due to friction and momentum is remarkable. If you can increase the efficiency of your engine you will have more usable power and/or use less fuel.

·
Registered
687 Posts
DAMN!!!!
My MVIV 1.8T gets horrible gas milage
I get about 15-18 MPG
I have even replaced alot of the sensors trying to find the problem, NOPE!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Anyone know how the chips would effect a lease? Would it void the warranty, would they be able to tell it was ever there if I would remove it before returning the car/taking it in for service? I don't own a GTI yet, but I am curioius about this.

·
Premium Member
3,266 Posts
How about torque steer?...is it more apparent after the APR upgdrade?
The torgue steer is just fine..on the mazda 3 speed it sucks bizzallls...i have the 93 octane in my gti and its grrreat (tony the tiger)

·
Premium Member
3,266 Posts
Anyone know how the chips would effect a lease? Would it void the warranty, would they be able to tell it was ever there if I would remove it before returning the car/taking it in for service? I don't own a GTI yet, but I am curioius about this.
Its all about the dealership man, where I work you can go with an apr stage 3 upgrade and they will still do work ( extending the truth a bit)..normally you can get away with your car being chipped and everything being ok. Dealerships can tell if you have the chip due to the codes that they read, lock out or not, Trust me I know. Worst case you unchip the vehicle, and bring the car to the dealership. The dealership makes money if its under warranty regardless. The only problem I had was my DV went, but its a known problem so they didn't care anyways.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I recently did the APR stage 1 and got a decrease in MPG. I couldn't understand how it would NOT lower your MPG, so I did the stock switch.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.