Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

mp3 cd's: title 001 / folder 001

5K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  mistyz23 
#1 ·
has anyone been able to burn an mp3 cd where the titles of songs and names of folders show up on the display of the stock head unit in the 07 gti's?
i'm not talking about the id3 information, i know how that works, and the name of the band / title of song show up in the bottom left and right hand corners of the display on the stereo, but above that it still say title 001 and in the top right is says folder 001. also, when you scroll through to the audio section on the dash information screen, it just shows "title 001" and "folder 001".
i thought it'd be really neat if i could get the name of the artist / song to show up there.
i searched all over here and vwvortex and haven't been able to find an answer.

#6 ·
kryptonkid07 said:
Why SIRIUS when you can have MP3? Gas is expensive, and I have other things to use my money on rather than pay a subscription to music. I like listening to my music, which is rarely music that has gone mainstream. So no Sirius for me. MP3 all the way... or my iPod.
Haha. I was reading this and I finally activated my Sirius subscription (3 months free) and I have to say it is pretty nice. Not as clear and loud as the MP3s but still nice. I'm not paying for anymore after the 3 months is over though...maybe

#7 ·
Dude, Sirius and XM both suck. The whole satellite thing is a waste. It cuts out all the time because of bridges, trees, mountains, etc. Then they basically play the same 12 songs over and over and over... just like radio with less commercials. They even have lame DJ's. MP3 is definitely the way to go. You get to select the music you want and get a whole lot more variety. No cutting out either. Best of all, it's FREE!!!

#9 ·
MicMoor77 said:
Dude, Sirius and XM both suck.
You haven't got them do you? Seriously. Music is great but there are times when news, sports, traffic, weather are important. Once you get out of school, you start learning.

Enjoy your music while you are young but please......TURN THAT SHIT DOWN! I can't see anymore so I depend on my other senses to drive.

#12 ·
jgo said:
MicMoor77 said:
Dude, Sirius and XM both suck.
You haven't got them do you? Seriously. Music is great but there are times when news, sports, traffic, weather are important. Once you get out of school, you start learning.

Enjoy your music while you are young but please......TURN THAT SHIT DOWN! I can't see anymore so I depend on my other senses to drive.
Okay, I have no idea what you're talking about here. I haven't got what? And sure, there are times when news, traffic, sports, and weather but all that is available on FM or AM for free.

"Once you get out of school, you start learning."

Are you talking to me personally with that sentence? I'll have you know I have more degrees than you have teeth.

As for the rest of your post, I don't see how that has anything to do with what was being discussed.

BTW, I hope you can take this post with lots of sarcasm.

#13 ·
I can take your sarcasm, but can you. The same 12 songs? Hell, I've got over 100 stations to choose from AND if and when I get sick of the music (often) I can listen to a lot of other things including live traffice and weather. which AM and FM do a piss poor job doing. There is nothing wrong with cd's and mp3. I prefer the satelite. Does that mean that you preferences suck? No, it just means that it is not mine.

So, Dude. I have all my teeth and I seriously doubt that you have that many degrees. If you do, I am delighted for you...but not really impressed.

#15 ·
I think anybody who pays money for something that is otherwise available for free (ie: News, weather, sports, traffic) needs to go back to school and learn a little about economics. Sounds just as stupid as those "joke-a-day" text message things they advertise on TV. Who pays for that shit?

#17 ·
Thalo said:
I think anybody who pays money for something that is otherwise available for free (ie: News, weather, sports, traffic) needs to go back to school and learn a little about economics. Sounds just as stupid as those "joke-a-day" text message things they advertise on TV. Who pays for that shit?
Take your shot if it makes you feel good. Obviously, working in a bank makes you think that you are entitled to tell other people how to spend their money. Do you drink bottled water?

#19 ·
dude i have the satellite radio. it sucks. i swear if they play stoke me one more time on classic rewind.....

i prefer just plugging in the ipod, because sirius has such a limited selection of music, especially in terms of hiphop. i think they have more techno then hiphop, which is incredibly lame.

btw my dad has xm in his cadillac and ive gotta say, it kicks the crap out of sirius

#20 ·
You guys do know that XM and Sirius are combining, right?

I love Sirius because I live in a small town (near Modesto) and there is NOTHING for radio stations. There are 2 that I can hear clearly. When I visit San Francisco with my Sirius I get full signal, even in a 5 story parking garage. Satellite makes sense for people who aren't in the huge metropolitan areas and have very very little to listen to.

Anyway, $12/mo subscription compared to buying music online or at least 2 CDs a month is not a bad deal. Sure, you don't own it and can't listen to whatever track you want at any given moment (unless you have the portable Sirius handhelds that record a couple hours of music). As it has been said before, to each their own. ;)

#21 ·
Just out of curiosity, how many people that actually have XM or Sirius really like it. I had it for a while and was surprised by how much it sucked. I live in the NYC metro area and the selection (Sirius) sucked, not to mention the reception constantly cutting out. I mean, if you haven't actually used it for a few months then you won't know how bad it sucks. If you have never had it then it certainly sounds like a wonderful thing.

So, just to clarify, what is the general consensus among people that have or had either XM or Sirius and have used it for a few months?

#22 ·
mistyz23 said:
Anyway, $12/mo subscription compared to buying music online or at least 2 CDs a month is not a bad deal. Sure, you don't own it and can't listen to whatever track you want at any given moment (unless you have the portable Sirius handhelds that record a couple hours of music). As it has been said before, to each their own. ;)
For $8 a month at some places you can download unlimited music (ie, bearshare and others)

You'll get much more value for your money then with satellite radio. I love the ability to one click download an entire album.

#24 ·
Maybe so, but the extra $4 saved a month really isn't worth the time to hunt down all of the music I like. It would really limit what new stuff I hear unless I sit down and do all the research myself.

Its what works for me and makes sense for me. Nothing wrong with enjoying downloading music and having it at your fingertips at all times. That is for sure a bonus for a good deal of people. I'm too ADD to like listening to the same collection of music.

#25 ·
MicMoor77 said:
So, just to clarify, what is the general consensus among people that have or had either XM or Sirius and have used it for a few months?
I'm pretty sure it is obvious, but I love Sirius. I live in a wide open middle of nowhere town and don't have any big structures to block the signal. The selection appeals to me, so I have no complaints about that. Hope that helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.