My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I figure something with a 650cc wouldn't be too much to handle... But what should I look for in a motorcycle?

Is it hard to use the 6 speed? Or does it take time?

What bike recommendations do you suggest?

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
The SV is a good starter bike. O0 It's also a good all around bike- touring/canyon carving/track/cruising around.

I wouldn't buy one brand new- get one a few years old that won't make you cry when you drop it the first time. It will happen. (2002 and newer are fuel injected: stick with these models.)

Use the money you saved towards taking the MSF class (see http://www.msf-usa.org/ ) and proper gear.

If you buy used- find a good local mechanic to give the bike a once over before you buy it. Never buy a salvage titled bike or a bike with *ANY* damage to the frame. If the plastic is scratched up- check underneath the fairings for damage.

Here is my other ride:

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool. I'm thinking about getting one in the near future. I'm almost wanting to just get the chip for my GTI and leave it at that. and then get a bike. i want something to just go driving around in. I definitely know the dangers of having a motorcycle, so I don't want anything fast. There's no point... i don't wanna race. That's something I'll leave to in my car where I have something all around me.

I don't even know where a "used motorcycle dealer" is... :(

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
kryptonkid07 said:
cool. I'm thinking about getting one in the near future. I'm almost wanting to just get the chip for my GTI and leave it at that. and then get a bike. i want something to just go driving around in. I definitely know the dangers of having a motorcycle, so I don't want anything fast. There's no point... i don't wanna race. That's something I'll leave to in my car where I have something all around me.

I don't even know where a "used motorcycle dealer" is... :(
There aren't too many "used dealers": Your best bet is craigslist.org or cycletrader.com and buying from a private party O0

·
Registered
321 Posts
I too would recommend getting something used as a first bike. In fact, i wouldn't spend more than $2000 on a first bike. You can get something reliable for that price. The reason behind this is, you're bound to drop it. Hopefully just in a parking lot... Anyway, riding a bike isn't for everyone. I know lots of people that have been really excited to get a bike but got sick of it after a year. You have to consider some things like: you can't really have a hair style other than "helmet head", you'll always smell like the wind, you'll sweat when it's hot, you'll freeze when it's cold, you'll get caught in the rain unprepared and hate life, your back will hurt, etc... These are just some of the little things to consider. You don't want to decide a year later that riding isn't really for you then be stuck with a $8000 bike that you don't want to ride. Also, if you buy a $2000 bike you will almost certainly get that out of it when you sell it a year or two later, provided that you don't bang it up.

I've been riding for 13 years now. Never had an accident, but I have dropped my bike in the garage before. I was moving it in the winter and lost my footing on a puddle of melted snow. :'( I've had many bikes over the years. My first bike was a '77 Yamaha 650. Currently I ride a '03 BMW R1150R ---->

·
Registered
30 Posts
i ride as well, and what everyone is telling you is all good :) and i also think for a 19 years old to ask about this subject is very cool good on you and please ask a lot of questions! my two cents is this one always remember that everyone on the road wants to run your ass over :mad: TWO it does not matter how fast or slow the bike is it will only go as fast as you make it go that is so up to you, so you will realy need to just keep it in your head to make the right choices on when your friend is next to you and you want to go light to light and then a car make a left infrount of you it does not end with you winning trust me. next and it also goes with the big and small bike thing, you can ride 50 to 1500 cc's and anything around there and any one of thoes will hurt you just the same. i ride motocross as well and on the 50 i have broke a legg and did and AC sep on my shoulder the 450 just the little cut and stuff like that you know what i mean. any way budd i can't really but in a email this way of thinking but when i am on my bike i think F all of you others on my road and when i get off my bike it takes just a min to say ok i'm good and then i can chill with my friends at are spots. any way i hope this helps a little pm me if you have any more questions.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the help guys!

good useful information. I'll be sure to ask more as the questions arise.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
748ty said:
next and it also goes with the big and small bike thing, you can ride 50 to 1500 cc's and anything around there and any one of thoes will hurt you just the same.
I just have to add- in the hands of a skilled rider, a Ninja 250 can run circles around bigger bikes when you are riding in the hills. O0

·
Registered
90 Posts
The SV650 is a perfect bike and should last you a few years. I own one and use it on track days, and I run circles around much larger bikes with riders that have never really learned to ride.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
that looks like its gonna hurt in the morning

·
Registered
30 Posts
that is a cool shot. you know why that happend right! if you look close you will see a air filter sticking out the side ;D can we say too much boost to get the guy on the kawi

·
Registered
19 Posts
The SV650 is plenty of bike for a beginning rider, and sufficient for an experienced one. There are lots of 'em around used. Also consider the Kawasaki EX500, Suzuki GS500, or maybe a nice KLR650 ("adventure" type ride).
Whatever you decide to purchase, don't neglect a good helmet and protective hear (jacket, pants, gloves, and boots). This will double your $2000 budget, but is absolutely necessary unless you crave scarred tissue...
And YES, take the MSF course. The skills related to riding are unique, and much more critical to your safety than the skills you posess as a driver.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
safety equipment is key. there is a really good reason it costs to much....its gonna save ur life.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
lumns said:
safety equipment is key. there is a really good reason it costs to much....its gonna save ur life.
We had a guy last spring who was in the paddock (10MPH zone) during tech inspection before a trackday. He chose not wear a helmet for the 150ft to get from his pit to tech. His bike passed tech and while returning he hit a patch of black ice, high sided the bike and the footpeg punctured his skull. He died three days later. He'd still be here if he had his lid on.

Gear is not going to save you in every case, however it gives you a fighting chance against serious injury.

What to wear and not to wear:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Before you start off with any bike at all, take the MSF course. As others suggested, a used bike would be ideal for first
time bike. Don't get influenced by others telling you "don't get a 600cc you will just grow out of it within a year" or
I got a brand new R1, GSXR1000, etc. 500cc and under are for whimps. Start off gradually and log some hours and build your
confidence. Good bikes would be used EX500s, Ninja 250's, and maybe an SV650 (it's a bit torquey if you are not use to it).

Like others stated, proper gearing is a must. Not just any gear but "quality gear". Good luck with the bike. It's a great hobby and skill to learn. You will meet lots of friendly (well you will bump into assholes as well ego driven hooligans). Make it through the first two years and you should be on your way to a fun hobby.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Several people have mentioned the Ninja 250. This is a small, lightweight bike that is pretty easy to learn on. It is also a blast to drive. The bike only costs $3500 brand new and you can find them much cheaper used. If you have the fundage, I would keep this bike even after you grow out of it. The reason for this is that it gets awesome gas mileage, and when the lady decides she's sick of staring at the back of your helmet she can learn on it. Just something to consider.

BTW, if anyone happens to be in the NY area I have a spare bike sitting around that I would let go really cheap. I can only ride one at a time you know.

·
Registered
30 Posts
xnopix is so wrong on this on! sorry to put it out there like that and you may not want to read this next line bro but i have been around bikes for some time. people that think this way crash and crash hard i realy hope you don't man but i have lost more than one friends on bikes and you start to see a pattern and you are the pattern bro bikes are not your dick it really does not matter how big it is. really

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
748ty said:
xnopix is so wrong on this on! sorry to put it out there like that and you may not want to read this next line bro but i have been around bikes for some time. people that think this way crash and crash hard i realy hope you don't man but i have lost more than one friends on bikes and you start to see a pattern and you are the pattern bro bikes are not your dick it really does not matter how big it is. really
Lemme get this right- how do you disagree with what he said (did you not read it?)

Clif notes of Xno's post
-take MSF
-don't get a big displacement bike
-get proper gear

I'll agree that bikes are not your p3n0r- I'm glad I make up for my lack of "manhood" by owning two litre bikes. [fish]
My stable includes an 05 and 01 Gixxer1k, the 01 is heavily modded, a 02 ZX6 track bike and an EX250.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts