Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
THANK YOU ande1978! my dealer said that an intake would void my warranty, but i think i just didnt wanna waste talkin to a 17 yr old, but thank you for that site...im definatly going to need that! that link needs to be all over this site...im pretty sure people will be grateful for it...thanks again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The answer that i got from the dealer regarding mods vs warranty is that adding an after market part (intake) will not really void your warranty unless a problem arise caused by the mods that you did. Also they have to prove that the problem was really caused by the mod and related to the mod.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Voided Warranty

This might seem like a stupid question, but I never deeply considered the topic before. Let's say you mod your car and something goes wrong with it because of the mod. Is your warranty from then on voided for everything else that would go wrong, or does VW just not honor the warranty for that specific part (still covered for other stuff later)? I'm assuming it's the former, but I just figured I'd throw it out there...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Re: Voided Warranty

Right, I understand how the warranty can be "voided", but I'm unclear on what that actually means. Does that mean that the stealership just won't cover your fees in that particular instance, or from then on for anything? Okay, let's say my turbo goes out because I'm running too much boost from using a chip. Obviously, they aren't going to fix my turbo under the warranty. But then let's say two months later my stock exhaust falls off. Will the exhaust fix still be covered under warranty, or will I now be responsible for all charges from because of the incident that destroyed my turbo? Hope this makes sense....

·
Registered
321 Posts

During your warranty period they should cover any issues you have as long as they are not directly related to any type of modification to the car.

·
Registered
280 Posts

My dealer led me to believe that if I made a mod to my car and caused a problem to it because of that mod, that they do not have to honor ANY warranty coverage for anything else thereafter. Seems like kind of a @#$% deal to me, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding.

·
Registered
749 Posts

That is kind of a $#!% deal, and in the US at least, illegal. From what I've gotten about federal warranty regulations, it is expressly forbidden to deny warranty coverage based solely on the use of non-production parts unless those parts can be proven to have caused the defect. That would be the same thing as the dealer voiding your engine warranty because you put a sticker on your rear windshield. The same applies for performance mods. For example: if you get your ecu chipped, it will now cause the turbo to provide more boost than the engine was designed to handle. If this mod causes your piston rings to fry or your turbo bearings to go out, you'd be SOL and the service department would have an easy time telling you to f-off. Whereas, if you get an aftermarket radio headunit and your engine blows up, they cannot deny the warranty claim unless they can prove that the new headunit or installation somehow caused damage to the engine.

Any time a service department denies coverage under your warranty, be sure to get it all in writing, including the nature of the malfunction, any modifications not installed by the manufacturer or dealer, and the reason they believe it's not covered. You would likely have to get another expert to refute their claim and take it all to court to get relief, but check into everything with the Federal Trade Commission.

This guideline is kinda tough to decipher but still much simpler than the full-text law:
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.htm#titling

·
Registered
280 Posts
So what you're basically saying is that if my turbo goes out (for example) because of the request for increased boost by a chipped ECU, I will have to pay for the shop fees. But ONLY for this particular instance. If my radio goes out two weeks later, or if my fuel pump craps out a month later, such repairs should still be covered under my warranty, regardless of past incidents? Sorry if I sound like a complete idiot, I just want to completely understand my rights before I put my fast on 'roids.

·
Registered
245 Posts
FastAddict said:
So what you're basically saying is that if my turbo goes out (for example) because of the request for increased boost by a chipped ECU, I will have to pay for the shop fees. But ONLY for this particular instance. If my radio goes out two weeks later, or if my fuel pump craps out a month later, such repairs should still be covered under my warranty, regardless of past incidents? Sorry if I sound like a complete idiot, I just want to completely understand my rights before I put my fast on 'roids.
I wouldn't say, "regardless of past incidents". Radio they would have to cover, fuel pump might not get covered as they could say the chip put added stress on it. They will try anything some places.

·
Registered
857 Posts
BlueFrogPosse said:
that's where they have to prove that your mods caused the problem.
Which they can easily lie about...

Unless you know exactly how the car works, and you can actually prove them to be wrong, they're going to screw you over.

This begs the question, do any of the companies that make chip upgrades, APR/REVO/GIAC, guarantee their work? If something does in fact screw up because of the upgrade, will any of these companies reimburse you for the repair?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm thinking whichever way you look at it, it'll be lawyer time. Just figure your own risk vs. reward. Though 250hp sounds pretty damn rewarding. Life is short, man.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Not me, but it all comes back to usable torque and dammit, I just don't know how the FWD is going to handle 300+ ft/lbs. I'm going to need that LSD!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts