Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truthfully I think the GTI is the perfect car and doesn't need any changes to have years of fun with it. But for those seeking perfection and who are obsessed with perfomance mods you might like this set up. I currently have the APR stg 1 s/w with Carbonio inake and forge dv. Impressive results...the stg 1 still needs to work out some kinks when reving up from low gears in auto mode which APR is addressing. Know I'm totally transforming the suspension...Vogtland springs 1.2 inch, Koni Yellow, and Autotech sway bars (10 lbs total). This being my only car and given the fact that I will be driving in the mountains to go skiing in PA and WV I chose a less aggressive drop. My mechanic, John Martin, owner of NGP told me the most noticeable difference in improved handling will be the result of the sway bars. I plan on ending my mod happy ways with a set of Oettinger 18x8.5" Charcoal Silver multispoke rims...I think they will offset my black exterior nicely...I'd love to get a 3 piece custom built wheel package but it's just too much money. Okay...will I eventually upgrade the exhaust and get some aftermarket side skirts...yeah...probably.

Carpe Diem my friends...and please...continue to drive German engineered cars...Japanese and American cars can't hold a candle to these amazing automobiles.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Carpe Diem my friends...and please...continue to drive German engineered cars...Japanese and American cars can't hold a candle to these amazing automobiles.
I don't think I could buy another American or Japanese car.:p

·
mmm...beer
2,815 Posts
i went with the vogtland 2 in drop and the same koni "yellow" shocks. love the new low stance, yet still have plenty of clearance for the speedbumps. handling is great. want to get a rear sway bar later on, that would be all for the suspension. injen cai, agency power cat back. will prolly get a tbe if i ever decide to get a chip mod. need funds. then will see.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey somebody, help me with mods! I'm in the market for a new GTI. I want to get the DSG, but I'm worried! I want to put in an APR chip (or maybe Neuspeed) mod for 93 octane, giving me about 300+ ft lbs of torque, but I don't believe that the DSG's self-limiting torque control will allow that power to get to the wheels. Does anyone out there have a heavily modified 2.0T with DSG that really works without the limiter reducing the power? If so, what kind of speed can I expect? I'm looking for an honest 0-60 in 5.3 seconds, assuming the tires hook up to the street. If that can happen, I'd get the DSG. I know it can happen with the TRUE stick shift. Can anybody help me here? Thanks, VWGTIFAN

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
5.3 seconds is not impossible by any means with the kind of power these cars can produce. The weak link here is not the power or drivetrain, it's FWD. If you've got drag radials, you might be able to make that time...otherwise, you'll just have to enjoy speed from a roll. Just make sure you don't enjoy it from second or third, cause you'll still be spinning.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Hey somebody, help me with mods! I'm in the market for a new GTI. I want to get the DSG, but I'm worried! I want to put in an APR chip (or maybe Neuspeed) mod for 93 octane, giving me about 300+ ft lbs of torque, but I don't believe that the DSG's self-limiting torque control will allow that power to get to the wheels. Does anyone out there have a heavily modified 2.0T with DSG that really works without the limiter reducing the power? If so, what kind of speed can I expect? I'm looking for an honest 0-60 in 5.3 seconds, assuming the tires hook up to the street. If that can happen, I'd get the DSG. I know it can happen with the TRUE stick shift. Can anybody help me here? Thanks, VWGTIFAN
Automobile magazine just did a piece on a lightly modded DSG GTI and showed the 0-60 at 6.0 seconds. This car was with suspension and APR's 93 octane program.

I'm running an 07 4dr DSG, Revo StageII, CAI and turbo back exhaust, I'm pretty sure I'd be close to 5.3.

If you plan on going nuts w/ mods, there is software on the market that will unrestrict the DSGs factory torque ceiling.

The other thing that would greatly help in getting off the line, would be an LSD, which I may be doing after my FMIC upgrade.

·
Registered
28 Posts
damn dragon. that intercooler will give you more horsepower, but then you still have to compensate for the FWD. but an LSD would be a little hard to drop in i think. its worth a shot tho. but 0-60 times are not important. its your R/T and 60' time. Those are what really make the difference

·
Registered
6 Posts
Automobile magazine just did a piece on a lightly modded DSG GTI and showed the 0-60 at 6.0 seconds. This car was with suspension and APR's 93 octane program.

I'm running an 07 4dr DSG, Revo StageII, CAI and turbo back exhaust, I'm pretty sure I'd be close to 5.3.

If you plan on going nuts w/ mods, there is software on the market that will unrestrict the DSGs factory torque ceiling.

The other thing that would greatly help in getting off the line, would be an LSD, which I may be doing after my FMIC upgrade.
Dragon, thanks for responding. Tell me more about your DSG...have you had your car dyno-tested? What power is making it to the street? Are you concerned about the clutches in the DSG failing or slipping with the increased power? Would you recommend a particular chip progrmming company such as neuspeed, APR or other? How awsome is the acceleration with your mods and DSG, especially shifting into 2nd and 3rd? Thanks for your help. And, oh, do I have anything to worry about with DSG and 254 hp/303 ft lb of torque? VWGTIFAN

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Dragon, thanks for responding. Tell me more about your DSG...have you had your car dyno-tested? What power is making it to the street? Are you concerned about the clutches in the DSG failing or slipping with the increased power? Would you recommend a particular chip progrmming company such as neuspeed, APR or other? How awsome is the acceleration with your mods and DSG, especially shifting into 2nd and 3rd? Thanks for your help. And, oh, do I have anything to worry about with DSG and 254 hp/303 ft lb of torque? VWGTIFAN
I have not had the car dyno'd, but there are a few other folks here who have.
I'm not to worried about issues w/ the DSG and my guess is (and this is only a guess) that it may be safe to about 400ft/lbs, but you would sacrifice reliability and greatly increase the wear.

The acceleration is great when compared to a stock MkV: Enough to convince the guys at the shop who are M3 nuts to be impressed.

The up-shifting between gears is spot on 99% of the time. The 1% is when I have the ESP and the wheels spin.

I won't say REVO is better than APR (they are pretty darn close) however, the GIAC tuning is a bit on the tame side. Neuspeed also has a software upgrade, but I haven't talked to anyone using it or seen any reviews.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hell Yeah! I love all things German, even my signature line. :cool:

Best damn engineers on earth. Ok, sure I'm biased being of German blood, but they really do create some amazing things.

·
Premium Member
3,266 Posts
Italians are the best engineers...you fugazi!!!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Agreed Vegas. Dragon said that the GIAC re-flash was weak, just a quick reply. My car is GIAC 93 octane tuned, and hits 23 PSI of boost in 4-5-6th gears...just wanted to throw that out there ;)

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Agreed Vegas. Dragon said that the GIAC re-flash was weak, just a quick reply. My car is GIAC 93 octane tuned, and hits 23 PSI of boost in 4-5-6th gears...just wanted to throw that out there ;)
Anytime you wanna put yours against mine:D (On a dyno run on the same dyno.)

The GIAC software, I didn't say was weak (as in it sucks), it's just the most tame when comapred to Revo and APR.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts