Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
263 hp @5500, 280 bl-ft @ 3000 :eek: tested 5.8 to 60 mph...car and driver says "It'll run off a GTI and slap a Civic Si silly" :'( and C&D's Tony Swan says "How do you say GTI in Japanese?"

·
Registered
342 Posts
Um, maybe I'm missing this, but so? Did you race one?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry...what biased opinions can i get from you guys around here...i love em by the way because it pursuades me more to get a GTI in a few months. So far Car and Driver and Motor Trend have loved the car.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
considering the car has 63 more HP then the GTI and the Si... why did they even compare them?.. it would be a way better comparison if they chipped a GTI and tested them h2h

·
Registered
31 Posts
Im glad I found a post about this car - I was very impressed by the new Mazdaspeed 3. A hot hatch with great power and a decent price. I test drove one last week and was very pleased. Mazda has one of the nicer hatchs out now so my hats off to them, however, the mitsubishi evo VIIII hatch slated to appear in 08 is something to watch for.

·
Registered
20 Posts
GTI Vs Mazda Speed3

I can't believe there is no topic here for GTI vs Speed 3. If there is I missed it, sorry. The speed 3 has a listed 0 - 60 of 5.8 seconds, and is cheaper than the GTI. I am sitting on the fence here, and need some help. Don't let me make a choice I may regret later. Why do I buy the GTI over the Speed 3?

:-[

·
Registered
20 Posts
But... which do you buy if seed is not the only factor. Comparing the 2 vehicles all around (price, performance, quality, comfort...) who wins. I ask because I am looking for a new car, and am torn between the two of these.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Re: GTI Vs Mazda Speed3

N Fected said:
I can't believe there is no topic here for GTI vs Speed 3. If there is I missed it, sorry. The speed 3 has a listed 0 - 60 of 5.8 seconds, and is cheaper than the GTI. I am sitting on the fence here, and need some help. Don't let me make a choice I may regret later. Why do I buy the GTI over the Speed 3?

:-[
Hey N Fected,

The best way to jump off the fence and into a driver seat is by test driving the cars of you are thinking about. I love VW but I hear many good things about the Speed 3. If you are in S. Florida hit me up and we can hit the streets to see how you like the GTI.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Thanks. I am sold on the GTI, but have not been able to drive a speed 3 yet. Do you know when they are out?

Are you part of the Miami Club?

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
In case anybody's confused... I've merged these two topics. Nfected, you're a moron if you didn't see this topic already under "MkV vs. the competition." I'm sorry, I don't like being mean, but it had to be said.

·
Registered
261 Posts

N Fected said:
Thanks. I am sold on the GTI, but have not been able to drive a speed 3 yet. Do you know when they are out?

Are you part of the Miami Club?
I belong to a car club called SSP, it consist of many car enthusiast which drive many different rides. You can check out page at www.speedstyleandperformance.com

I have been posting for our meets but I am yet to see anyone come by.

I am not sure but I drive by Ocean Mazda every day so I will make sure to kep an eye out for the MS3.

·
Registered
18 Posts
GTI VS MAZDA SPEED 3 TURBO!!!

hey i know this is suppost to be a vs post, but ididnt know where else to post this.....ok i know gti gets crazy performance from just chiping or remapping the turbo....but does the mazda speed 3 get the same BIG imporvements like the GTI does, or is the mazda's turbo already toped out?will the mazda also get anything close to 50 horsepower from remapping the turbo? hope this makes sence....thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: GTI VS MAZDA SPEED 3 TURBO!!!

from what I've read about the Mazdaspeed 3, they have the ECU tweeked to make almost as much performance as it can. that is why it gets 263 hp and horrible fuel economy, but if i remember correctly it is the same engine from the mazdaspeed 6 and that is putting out about 275 hp ( i couldn't tell you the torque but that's easy enough to look up). imo chipping the 3 will only get you a minimal amount of gained performance. I do think however that changing the gear ratios in the car will help dramatically along with a bigger turbo and performance chip.
my last car was a 99 protege and while only having around 110 horsepower it would pick up decently once you got into higher rpms. I love my GTI and VWs in general, but mazda's 3 platform can hold its own

i know i went on and on...hope it helps

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Once again another MkV vs. Mazdaspeed 3 topic is created. Once more, topics are merged.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just wanted to add that I started out looking for a Mazdaspeed3 to buy and went to a few mazda dealerships to buy one and they either didn't have the color i wanted or the package, so I ended up doing some research on the MS3's competitors and when i read the reviews of the new GTI, it seemed like a good fit for me. So, i went and test drove the GTI in a manual 6 speed and liked it so much i bouht it after my first test drive.

Mazdaspeed3 has no option for a sunroof!!!!! OMG... so my GTI with the sunroof and 18" wheels is essentially a slower mazdaspeed3 but better in almost every single category aside from possibly handling... on the skid pag the mazdaspeed3 did like a .86g or something... braking also is pretty solid on the MS3... so we might lose in handling, braking, acceleration, top speed, and stereo system... the GTI wins in Exterior styling, interior styling, interior functionality, imo seats, transmission bost the GTI 6 speed and the DSG are head and shoulders above the MS3, tuning options, factory options, ride quality, interior volume noise, much nicer steering wheel, nicer pedals, did i mention interior and exterior styling? Also, the MS3 already had a recall for engine mounts and has had some other dependability issues.

Anyway, I'd like to hear more about chipped GTI's vs the MS3... I'd guess that a turbo back exhaust system, intake, and Stage 2 chip MKV GTI would beat an MS3. I think the MS3 is even faster than it's numbers indicate, i know it can only get to 58MPH in 2nd gear, so it's 0-60 times suffer... I've seen that it's faster to 100mph than an '07 WRX, but loses in the 0-60.

Anyway, just wanted to hear some other thoughts on the GTI vs MS3 match-up...

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
the mazdaspeed3 is the mazda 3's 2.3L engine with a turbo added on. my friend has the mazda 3 2.3L and it is horrible. i hate it. yer the mazdaspeed3 is AWD and has 250+hp but you have to remember its a limited edition car also and is not available like the GTi.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts