Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i raced a 2004 wrx on the highway we were going about 85 then i dropped it into 4th then quickly into 5th we were like neck and neck going about 120 we had to slow down cause of i 2 stupid cars taking up the lanes we were in. I think the mkv can take a wrx in the long run def not off the line cause wrx awd.

·
Registered
857 Posts
A MKV GTI might be able to beat a 3 or 4 yr old WRX, but a new WRX would almost definately beat a new GTI. Any model year WRX STI would beat a GTI.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Isn't the WRX 4wd? They're usually quite a bit heavier. When it comes to Audis the 2wds usually outperform the Quattros on dry pavement.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Thalo said:
Isn't the WRX 4wd? They're usually quite a bit heavier. When it comes to Audis the 2wds usually outperform the Quattros on dry pavement.
the gti and the wrx only have 1 pound difference in weight.
Where the GTI may have an advantage is that it uses electromechanical steering and gets 207lbs of torque at 1800rpm

the sti has hydralic steering that robs engine power and gets 300lbs of torque but at 4000rpms. more than twice what it takes for the gti to get its 207lbs. This could give the GTI quite an edge from stoplight to stoplight.

Though the sti has awd, on a dry course it may not play as big of factor since the GTI has a electronic locking front differential with traction control and the engine weight is right on top of the drive wheels. Stickier tires could give the GTI an optimal advantage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently saw an R32 past by me on the beltway. Does anyone know if it's as quick as a WRX-Si? Also, how much faster is the R32 (USA version) than the MKV?

Thanx, populari

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The STi is about a sec faster than the R32 in the US. The R32 is around half a sec faster then the MKV. Funny you should ask. 2 months ago on rt 80 west i saw a blue R32 and pulled aside him with his gf on the passanger side. We were going about 70 then i heard him drop and gear then i dropped it into 4th then from there we were about neck and neck but very slowly he pulled away.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've got an MY02 WRX and it's pretty quick. It'll definately eat a GTi to 60mph. Car and Driver report about .6 sec diff. with a 5sp WRX and a DSG GTi.
The 1/4 end up a little closer, with the times only .3 apart. Regardless, the WRX is faster. I don't know the skidpad or slalom numbers off the top of my head, but I'm thinking they're pretty close.

But the GTi is deceptively big for a small car. It outweighs the WRX WAGON! by 80 or so lbs according to VW's website comparison thing. And that's with FWD. I could only imagine what the R32/36 version with AWD might weigh. Then again, the NVH levels for the VW are much much much better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
completely different target audience. the WRX is very raw and basic as a "sports" car. the GTi is way further up the line in terms of quality and "classiness". after grad school, a GTi is at the top of the list for new cars. the WRX makes little in the way of compromises for comfort over sport. the GTi seems to make a much better mix of the two.

1 - 20 of 305 Posts