Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I'm new to the site but I was really hoping to get some help and advice on which roof rack to pick up for my MKV. I don't want to buy brand new simply because I think they're far too expensive. However my local craigslist has some serious potential. I plan to only haul my mountain bikes and maybe a basket to throw some extra stuff in. Anyways, my question is which feet will work for my car? I understand the bars are pretty versatile as long as you use the right feet that attach to your car. There's lots of stuff on CL that looks like it may work but it either came off the wrong year of VW or they don't specify. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Besides the VW rack, Thule and Yakima are the two major brands. Go to their sites and plug in your car and you'll get the fittings that you need. I'm really happy with my Thule, and they have lifetime warranty. I had a broken screw and they sent me 3 for nothing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm assuming you don't get that lifetime warranty if you buy used right? I had a simple Thule one on my Subaru back in the day but i didnt need to get into the feet because it came with a factory roof rack. Thanks for the help though!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I'm assuming you don't get that lifetime warranty if you buy used right? I had a simple Thule one on my Subaru back in the day but i didnt need to get into the feet because it came with a factory roof rack. Thanks for the help though!
You know, I don't know. When I called them the guy just said " well, it's a lifetime warranty, where do you live, we'll send replacements." Never asked me for proof of purchase or anything.

Oh, and IMO, Thule fairing is best looking.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Welcome! Another Eastern Washingtonian. ;D

I just bought my Thule roof rack used from a guy and it came with the bars, fairing, and two mountain bike carriers but you are going to be hard pressed to find one for somewhat cheap. They don't come around often so if you find one then get it quick and for as cheap as possible. O0

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Get a used Votex (OEM) and throw whatever fairing on it you want. I used an old Thule fairing, since I think the newer fairings look retarded. Simplicity.

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
thats a sexy fairing, I don't like my new thule fairing, looks like a skinny snowboard, which makes it double retarded.

If I ever fine some of that plastic kicking around, I'll cut out my own.

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
oem votex racks go on sale on ecstuning once in a while. They look 100% better than the square bar thule or yakima. You're going to pay lots for used thule or yaks too.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
A buddy gave that one to me for free, which was awesome. I cleaned it, plasti-dipped it, and used some new stainless steel mounting hardware (Home Depot).

I've seen some really cool ones made from 1/4" plywood. Natural wood grain looks great, and they had clear urethane for protection against moisture.

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
I've seen some really cool ones made from 1/4" plywood. Natural wood grain looks great, and they had clear urethane for protection against moisture.
Hmmm, now you've added to my winter project list! I've got a bunch of 3/8" sitting around...

if you have any pics of some, pm me the link.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.