Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So these two MkV GTI owners walk into a dealership....
;D (Sounds like a good set up for a joke)

MkV R32 vs a highly modded MkV, it is neck and neck as far as midrange power.

The R32 has torque down low (no spool up that you get use to w/ the GTI), so off the line it's faster.

I haven't looked at the specs as far as weight goes, but it does not really feel any heavier than a 4dr GTI.

The stock R32 did not impress my butt dyno, but my brother w/ the stock MkV really liked it. When I add the supercharger that should change. :D

Suspension was tight but not as firm as a Koni equipped MkV. Under power, the handling was very smooth. When stomped on the ESP did not engage where I'd normally have some wheel spin with my GTI. I'd love to see how it handles in the wet.

So- I'm on the waiting list for a CW MkV R32 8)

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
22350 said:
BASTARD!!!!!!!!!

Did they give you an estimated sticker $?
Out the door w/ Lojack about 36K

I saw the TT Quatro with the same motor and the baseball mit stitched seats was around 55K :D

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
22350 said:
Not sooo bad, little bite, not too much though.

I hope you get one, that would be awesome!
The sales guy drives a tuned Corrado- he asked me to pop the hood on my GTI ;D

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gunny said:
I can't get past the lack of aggressive styling like the GTI. It looks like a 2.5 Golf.
With a chrome Jetta front end :-\

The more it looks like a 2.5 the better 8)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Gunny said:
I can't get past the lack of aggressive styling like the GTI. It looks like a 2.5 Golf.
that is one of the reasons i dont like the R32. I also hate the fact that you cant get a manual........... :'(. I have watched a r32 and GTI race and there really doesn't seem like a big difference to me. A car length or two isn't much for $8-9K more. Assuming you could fit in an EVO, you would be better off with that car.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
yeah I agree with paintball man. I think the R32 is a great car in it's own right. But aside from the fact that there are only 5000 coming to the states, it's not much of a performance value. Not to mention that if you're interested in modding the car, naturally aspirated motors are REDICULOUSLY difficult to squeeze horsepower and torque out of, and it's nearly impossible with bolt on mods. Unless you plan on spending upwards of 5-6k on going forced induction, (ie. supercharger or turbo), you'd be much better off with the GTI. Bang for buck, it's second to none. The R32 IS heavier than the GTI by about 250 lbs. I think, not sure specifically though. It's one of the downsides of AWD systems. The R32 is sure to be a great car, but aside from the novelty of being an "owner," I'd pick the GTI any day.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
banditscout said:
yeah I agree with paintball man. I think the R32 is a great car in it's own right. But aside from the fact that there are only 5000 coming to the states, it's not much of a performance value. Not to mention that if you're interested in modding the car, naturally aspirated motors are REDICULOUSLY difficult to squeeze horsepower and torque out of, and it's nearly impossible with bolt on mods. Unless you plan on spending upwards of 5-6k on going forced induction, (ie. supercharger or turbo), you'd be much better off with the GTI. Bang for buck, it's second to none. The R32 IS heavier than the GTI by about 250 lbs. I think, not sure specifically though. It's one of the downsides of AWD systems. The R32 is sure to be a great car, but aside from the novelty of being an "owner," I'd pick the GTI any day.
Well I have a 4door with DSG, so it's only an additional 50 or so lbs... and plans for a VF Engineering Stage II supercharger >:D

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Why not the big turbo? You'll get a bigger kick and the cost is about the same. Maybe you just want the supercharger squeal?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Dragon said:
22350 said:
BASTARD!!!!!!!!!

Did they give you an estimated sticker $?
Out the door w/ Lojack about 36K

I saw the TT Quatro with the same motor and the baseball mit stitched seats was around 55K :D
JESUS!!!

If I had 36K to drop on a car it sure as hell wouldn't be on that car.

I've driven VWs for the last 11 years and have had 5 of them in that time. But the new R32 is the biggest waste of money IMO.

In all honesty for 36K I would buy an STi and still have at least 3K left over for mods.

Just consider the fact that you're going to drop close to 40K after taxes/title etc.... and will have your ass handed to you by anyone in a stock EVO,STi, or Mazdaspeed3.

Lightly modded you could beat the Mazda but you'll have to put alot of money into that car to even come close to the EVO and STi.

Just my thoughts!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Euridice said:
Not to nitpick but out the door = 36 K would include the TTL for 36 K.
Yes, your not nit picking him, i dont think, but i agree with him about the EVO or STI. The real reason of getting the R32 for $36K would only truly be for the status or just wanting the R32. The only advantag really is AWD and then again..........AN evo or sti would whoop it. Now I dont want to be biased though. I cant fit in either an STI or EVO but i still dont think i would buy the R32 for 8K more. Now 4K more...........i might for the soul purpose of AWD.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think it was Automobile magazine that recently praised the R32 but said that with such a great GTI right now they dind't know if it would be worth it to get the R32 or something like that. It seemed a compliment to both cars from what I'm remembering. ;) It seems the reactions here are kind of mirroring that.

So, congratulations, Dragon! Are you keeping your GTI or selling it? :)

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Evo has no soul... my neighbor also just dumped his highly modded EVO for a 350Z- he had nothing but problems... (not like I've had good luck with stage II on mine :D)

One reason I ruled the EVO and the STi out is the fact that with the "ironing board" mounted to the trunk attracts WAY too much unwanted attention, where as both the GTI and the R32 look like Rabbits from a distance. The EVO and the STi will never achieve sleeper status. :D

I'd consider the STi over the EVO for the fact of the U-R-ABUS is unbelievable when it comes to crash safety. I've seen pictures from collisions, where I would not have expected a person to survive and they have walked away from it.

Could you get a stage III or stage IV MkV GTI? Sure you can- but can you use all that power w/ FWD? How much is a LSD and how many hours does it take to install?

I also think the R32, due to it being somewhat rare, will help it hold it's value.

So could a stock R32 stomp my GTI power wise? Nope... but when it comes to handling and stopping- yes.

I'd consider a used S4 (or an RS4 if I win the lotto) before I'd consider the EVO or the STi, but that's just me...

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Euridice said:
So, congratulations, Dragon! Are you keeping your GTI or selling it? :)
I'm on the list right now for the R32- so if they can find me the color I want... the GTI will be for sale :'(

Plan A is to try to sell it with everything but my new wheels on it and hopefully get a good price for it. 90% of the mods have been proffesionally installed, with all the receipts and the guys at Genesis Engineering are willing to try to sell it.

Plan B is to let my brother sell his 06 that is all stock and make him a deal of a lifetime.

Plan C is to revert everything but the chip and the exhaust to stock and let the "vultures" :D of MFG pick through my yardsale of parts.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Go with plan C!!!!! O0

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well, Plan B would allow you to keep your GTI in the family, which might not hurt its (the GTI's) feelings so much. So, I vote for Plan B (since I don't need parts, etc!) :)

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Yeah...Like I said, the R32 is awesome. And yes, not quite sure who was asking, but the R32 WILL hold it's value indefinately. Older R32 are still selling for not much more than they were worth at the time of purchase. And naturally there will be a great aftermarket following for this car. It's just purely the buyer's decision. The car is a status symbol...nuff said....oh yeah, and a good one at that.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts