My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, I love beating those Camaro Z28's in the streets. They're pretty much sound and "supposedly" power, but it doesn't scare me. It makes me happy when I see the drivers looking at me when I smoked them with a small German car. I see some SS' out there, but I wouldn't be afraid to try them out :).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, just an intake. Most of the drivers were young kids. I did got beat a couple of times, but it feels good to beat them.

·
Registered
193 Posts
anyone ever race an ss ...... a friend has 1
i have evoms and apr stage 1 do i stand a chance?......... (he sucks at shifting)

·
Registered
635 Posts
heres the SS sepcs ohv V8 5.7 / 346 305-325 HP 335-350 lbs torque...sorry but I seriously doubt you can beat him

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
You'd have to be going up against one hell of a crappy driver to beat an SS. I've done Z28's and they take us off the line pretty clean. We get 'em by late 3rd early 4th though. An SS.......I have to agree, is not very likely.

Maybe chipped, CAI, TB exhaust, stage 3 turbo (and everything that goes along with that) and we would have a good chance.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Stock 1/4 mile and 0-60 times for the SS are 13.7-13.9 (based off different sites) and 5.3-5.5, respectively. I think with a chip, TBE, and intake it'd be fairly close. I used to own a Trans Am WS6, and it pulled hard from the go but always seemed to lose that hard punch at about 60 or so. Off the line, you'd get taken, but as said before, I think you'd catch up by 3rd. I'd say a 1/4 mile or more race and it'd be pretty damn close (assuming you had the aforementioned mods).

·
Registered
193 Posts
it was almost dead even.......... at 3 gear we were next to each outher and then when i hit 4th we ran out of room

it had intake an exhaust and a dyno tune and a short shifter

he wouldnt race me again though...... i had a bad launch and it was still really close

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is no difference in power between the z28 and the SS. The motor is and LS1 in both.
Stock either the z28 or SS will run the 1/4 in 13.7 seconds to our 15.1-15.3?
Furthermore, my buddy and I go out cruzen all the time. He drives a 2001 trans am, that has the same chasis and motor as the camaro.
He has me by a car before were outta the intersection. and hes bone stock.

Moded heavily, yeah i wanna hear some gti's take down a TA or camaro. that would rock.

My guess you cought someone with a 6 speed who can't drive it well.
My dad has a 2000 TA 6 speed. I cant drive it for shit. its so different from our clutch, if you have the 6 speed that is.

Im not bad at our stick either, i was runnen consistent 15.4 15.3 at the track.

·
Registered
193 Posts
V14life said:
There is no difference in power between the z28 and the SS. The motor is and LS1 in both.
Stock either the z28 or SS will run the 1/4 in 13.7 seconds to our 15.1-15.3?
Furthermore, my buddy and I go out cruzen all the time. He drives a 2001 trans am, that has the same chasis and motor as the camaro.
He has me by a car before were outta the intersection. and hes bone stock.

Moded heavily, yeah i wanna hear some gti's take down a TA or camaro. that would rock.

My guess you cought someone with a 6 speed who can't drive it well.
My dad has a 2000 TA 6 speed. I cant drive it for shit. its so different from our clutch, if you have the 6 speed that is.

Im not bad at our stick either, i was runnen consistent 15.4 15.3 at the track.
an older z28 has an lt1 before 97...... an ss puts out like 15 more hp than a z28

he should take you by alot in the beg....... as the lt1 and ls1 have alottt of tq

get a short shift it allows you to shift way faster

·
Registered
9 Posts
This was my wife's '02 Z28 convertible, 6 speed. She traded it in on her '07 Mini Cooper S. '02 was the last year for GM's F-body. The only mods were exhaust and air intake. GM seriously under-rated the power of this car. Her window sticker said 310 hp. With just the exhaust and air intake hers was laying about that much to the rear wheels.

GM F-bodies were LS1 powered from '99 through '02.

The basic difference between the Z28 and the SS is the functional hood scoop on the SS. She's handed many an SS his aSS with her meager Z28.

I'm not trying to stir the pot, just giving some info. My next car will most likely be a GTI. It better be a VERY good running GTI with a lot of boost and a quick hand to get out in front of an LS1 powered GM F-body. They have some mad top end too, I've rung up a 163 mph via GPS.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Thats gotta be the ugliest center console in existence... the gti wins just because of that ugly ass darth vader looking shifter knob.

No harm meant, just hard to appreciate any other car after getting out of my FH interior. :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
TOE_FAST said:
Thats gotta be the ugliest center console in existence... the gti wins just because of that ugly ass darth vader looking shifter knob.

No harm meant, just hard to appreciate any other car after getting out of my FH interior. :)
it looks worse in person..........

·
Registered
106 Posts
yes, it's hideously ugly, but my sister's old boyfriend had a 6 spd Z28... like a 02 or something, not convertible, but looked just like the one above.

Anyway, i got to drive it and wow did it put a smile on my face... that thing will push you back in your seat all day in every gear, except maybe 6th... but it's still the fastest car i've ever driven... he had exhaust and a K&N... the car didn't give me a lot of confidence in terms of handling, but just because a car doesn't feel like it handles well, doesn't mean it won't clean up at the track... a GTI would need major mods to come close except in sexiness... you're talking RWD, LSD, and torque out the ass... you don't have to be rich to have a Z28 like that running in the 11's in the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I am sure its fast , really fast!

I just always go back to the whole "overall" thing.... I look at other cars now and actually try to see myself driving them, i look at comfort, styling, handling, raw power...etc etc....and in the end my GTI puts the biggest smile on my face...sure i havent ever driven an Enzo or murcielago or anything truly exotic which would surely make me want one of those over the GTI...but for everyday attainable cars, i just havent seen a single one that i would rather have over my Fast :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
TOE_FAST said:

Yeah, not real cutting edge there. That design dates back to 1993, first year of the Gen 4. The car in the pic is an '02. Same center console.

Ugly yes, but that shifter was one of the best stockers I've ever had in my hand. It came from the factory with a Hurst shifter.

Hmmm, here's a terrific example of a '96 GTI's interior. LOL

·
Registered
193 Posts
MrVvrroomm said:
TOE_FAST said:

Yeah, not real cutting edge there. That design dates back to 1993, first year of the Gen 4. The car in the pic is an '02. Same center console.

Ugly yes, but that shifter was one of the best stockers I've ever had in my hand. It came from the factory with a Hurst shifter.

Hmmm, here's a terrific example of a '96 GTI's interior. LOL

just imagine if that wasnt put to an end for almost a decade

1 - 20 of 28 Posts