Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Living in Colorado Springs, it was only a matter of time before my Fast and I did the Hill Climb. Man, what a road! :eek:

I was interested to see what effects the altitude would have on the car. No overheating, in fact the temp needle didn't budge. The turbo seemed to spool a little harder, and the DV let waste boost go for about twice as long between shifts. All related to the lower atmospheric pressure, I assume. I did lose some power toward the top, to be expected. Only 1/2 the oxygen available at sea level up there.

Does the ECU try to maintain the same level of boost in the manifold, regardless of outside pressure? I am waiting to get my boost gauge installed and see.

Having a blast with my Fast,

Chris

PS Anyone else in Colorado?

·
Registered
137 Posts
http://myfastgti.com/vwgti/index.php/topic,273.msg20584.html#msg20584 Hey im a flight instructor based out of long beach airport ( sea level ). I fly up to and over 20,000 feet with a turbo charged cessna. as compared to only 12,500 feet ( the max altitude for a normal cessna). We train the students that a turbo charger provides the engine "sea level air pressure" some pilots call it "sea level power" at altitude.
I dont know if this would be the same for our turbo in our GTI but im asuming it is. the fact that the turbo seemed to be working harder makes perfect since to me cause the air is thinner so it works harder to give u that "sea level power". I'd like to see some dyno results at 7000 feet or something just to know for sure.
BTW a cessna is a 4 seater 4 cylinder plane so its almost a VW with wings. the normal cessna makes 160 hp at sea level and i think something like only 60 hp at 12500 and doesnt like being that high. the turbo cessna makes 200 hp bottom to top.
the fact that the air is thinner where u live should reduce the drag. So if im right that u are still getting ur 200 hp up there than ur faster than me down here , cause u have less drag.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I really doubt you'd ever see 200HP from a stock GTI at 14,000 feet. With a larger turbine and turbo housing sure, but with the stock unit...doubtful. And if it could keep making full boost at that altitude, it wouldn't last long doing it. I'm sure some engineer out there who's far smarter than I am could tell you how much faster the turbine would have to spin to keep the pressure up. I don't know how they do it normally, but if I were designing a drive system for an aircraft, I'd likely use a turbo that's larger than I needed on the ground for this same reason. You wouldn't need the fast spool-up with the Cessna, and it'd be easy to regulate using an absolute pressure-type wastegate actuator.

·
Registered
137 Posts
yea the turbo is giant on the cessna , and i can control the waste gate... i didnt think about that the turbo on my gti is so small.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah Colorado in da house!!!!!!!!!! O0 O0 O0

Yo doctor gonzo!! I drove up red mountain pass today you know the one going to silverton and eventually Durango. Well I hit like 11000 feet and had the back filled with furniture for college and my subs and with like a fourth of a tank and I was still hallin butt!!! It did require a lot more downshifts though!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts