Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

MkIV exclusive chipping thread

7K views 45 replies 11 participants last post by  D.Light 
#1 ·
MkIV owners:

I have read the entire chipping thread on the main page, but I was really hoping for insight into MkIV cars. It seems that very few ppl on this site have an MKIV. Therefore, I posit to you, what is the best chip for the MkIV GTI? I have an 05 5 speed. I love that bastard to death, but would like to REALLY be quick. Thanks,

#4 ·
I wish I had the spare money for a chip... I think I'm going to do a custom set-up and maybe a stand-alone... Seems like a more "powerful" route over a chip or any stage programs APR offers. Would deff get the 100+ octane chip tho seeing as I know where a gas station in that serves this :)

#5 ·
i have the apr stage 2 and at first i wasn't happy with it and wasn't till tonight the cops and all emergency people were out at a house from a drugged up lady and me and my buddy were like top speed run well i didn't hit top speed but i did do 60 to 150 in less than a mile it was like half to 3/4 a mile and then i understood that the chip did help me out i think its that the chip made my engine run smoother so i didn't get that sudden burst that threw u back in your seat its steady and its a great feeling. i would deffentally sugguest gettting the apr stage 2 even if u have no mods because its amazing what that does for the over all running and performance of ur mk4's engine. im only 1 testomony but im sure others think the same please tell me if im wrong.

#11 ·
sorry, i lost my dyno charts :(
no big thing, i guess if i get mine back or get a new one, i'll provide before and after for both stages. try and repeat the sessions so the figures are as close as possible.

#13 ·
for whom it may concern...i have just recently talked to apr directly to the headquarters in opelika alabama, oddly enough 20 minutes from my hometown...but the guy was real informative when it came to every question i could throw at him. in my opinion, not that he change my opinion, but the apr is a very good program. boost levels spike at about 21 and hold at 17 to 18. the horsepower was 247 to the crank and roughly 215 to the wheels. I ask him if he could check out the website here and answer any questions anyone might have and he said he would look into doing that. oh btw anyone looking at forge diverter splitter........it doesnt look like its holding up to the expectations of some of the post here.
just a little info.. tell me what ya think.

#14 ·
oh btw anyone looking at forge diverter splitter........it doesnt look like its holding up to the expectations of some of the post here.
just a little info.. tell me what ya think.
Muahahaha... Now buy yourself a recirculating BOV :)

I love APR's numbers. Most other companies only off a 15psi hold on boost. Since you have the N75, count on seeing spikes around 23-24 psi and boost holding around 18-19 maybe a hair higher...

#15 ·
Muahahaha... Now buy yourself a recirculating BOV :)

I love APR's numbers. Most other companies only off a 15psi hold on boost. Since you have the N75, count on seeing spikes around 23-24 psi and boost holding around 18-19 maybe a hair higher...
well i asked him about the n75 and he said it actually makes it spike almost too much he recommended that i get another stock one.

#17 ·
Meh, it's only a spike. And most people only see the spike within the 1st couple of runs. One guy reported a 24 psi spike and never saw it again. Just depends on how the car reacts to it. Really, after a chip and the N75, look for a good intercooler. Stock one blows on a stock car...

#19 ·
Meh, it's only a spike. And most people only see the spike within the 1st couple of runs. One guy reported a 24 psi spike and never saw it again. Just depends on how the car reacts to it. Really, after a chip and the N75, look for a good intercooler. Stock one blows on a stock car...
the cheapest i have found is around 299 for a kit..i dunno its a lot of money for the other ones i have seen

#20 ·
Ebay kit? They suck. Took us 4-5 hours to get mine done. Then I had to spend a whole saturday getting my MAF sensor mounted into one of the pipes... IT really isn't worth not buying a true kit, even tho they are 1000$ :(

Never heard of bally's either...

#24 ·
Think I've seen it... If you ever see an audi hatch (4 door) silver and you pull up behind him, don't even both. Guy has bigger twins, full Brembo big brake kit (6 grand alone) and a nasty front mount. Car will pull on you before you can downshift, I messed with him one day on a cruise, car is amazing.

#26 ·
Can't decide what company to go with for my chip/reflash I want one that doesn't simply rely on cranking up the boost, so the lowest level of boost the better, this car has to last me a while, but I want a little more get up and go, so between GIAC, APR, Neuspeed, Unitronics, and Revo (let me know if I missed any) who has the lowest boost settings, with good power gains? thanks for the help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.