Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a vr6 swap out of a wrecked cars.
I have found one that i believe will work it comes with the motor, 5speed Trans, Harness, ECU, Cluster, Axles, and 5 lug setup. The engine is said to have 60k on it and is bored 30 over. My car is a 94 GTI 2.0L and the engine is out of a 99.5 GTI. Is there anything else that i will need for the swap? Any advice when buying a swap?
Thanks Guys
-Goat

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I have found one that i believe will work it comes with the motor, 5speed Trans, Harness, ECU, Cluster, Axles, and 5 lug setup. The engine is said to have 60k on it and is bored 30 over. My car is a 94 GTI 2.0L and the engine is out of a 99.5 GTI. Is there anything else that i will need for the swap? Any advice when buying a swap?
Thanks Guys
-Goat
Calling boostedJTI..........ring.........ring.......ring.....

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Thanks Guys
-Goat
Well, seeing as how it's out of a mkiv, the harness won't directly hook up the body harness. Least I don't recall it being capable of doing so. You have a few options, buy the wrecked GTi and convert all of your existing wiring to mkiv or just buy the wiring harness from a mkIII vr6 but it would have to be OBDII wiring, not OBDI. Outside of that you're pretty set. You won't have to worry about the immobilizer because the 99.5s didn't have that yet. You won't even need the gauge cluster... However if the car does have one, you should get the cluster and give me a priced shipped to m house for it ;D

After you get yourself a motor/swap just come back here for more advice. Oh another thing, be sure to get the subframe for the swap... not sure if the mkiv sub will line up on your mk3 tho. I mean you could use the 2.0l one, but everything else is going to be vr6 so...

Calling boostedJTI..........ring.........ring.......ring.....
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
here is a couple pictures of the engine that i will be purchasing in the swap :eek:

thanks boosted i hope everything goes smoothly i know i will be on here for lots of help :confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If i was to rebuild my 2.0L engine and than turbo it would that be a better option than dropping in the vr6 with 60k. For the entire swap they want $1800. :confused:

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
If i was to rebuild my 2.0L engine and than turbo it would that be a better option than dropping in the vr6 with 60k. For the entire swap they want $1800. :confused:
Too much for a vr6. Unless it's freshly rebuilt and comes with some sweet 5x100 wheels. The swap shouldn't cost more than a grand... 1800$ is barking towards getting a 1.8T swap. Building a 2.0l will not be as fun as a vr6, but www.blackforestindustries.com did a fantastic job with a 2.0l

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
i think i would rather have a BT 2.0L but thats just me

but a VR6 just sound so nice

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today i came across a 2.8L Vr6 and trans with 60K on them he wants $1500 but if you include the NIB turbo hes throwing in with it than i guess it a good deal :D

My 94' GTI is about to be resurrected. Going from 2.Slow to Vr6T :cool:

I will post pictures soon as possible I am meeting with him in the morning.

Thanks for everybodys input.

-Goat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts