Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Picked up my 2008 Candy White MK5 GTI 4 door on October 5th and so far it's left me with a permanant smile!! I have even gotten up in the middle of the night just to drive. Thought I'd ask a question here before I go to the dealer. My inboard set of headlights are never on even with the switch in all positions. The outer headlight pair act as both the DRL's and low beams; and when the high beams are on they are also part of the outer pair of headlights. The inner pair are never on for any reason. Am I missing something? I even had a friend drive in front of me and he said they were never on. Thanks in advance for any info I can arm myself with before going to the dealer.

Rides:
Neon R/T (Traded in, thank God!!)
89 Colt GT (Shouldv'e kept it, fun car!!)
84 Reliant (Don't know what I was thinking!!)
72 Skylark (FAST, worth more now than when I bought it, wish I still had it.)
69 Grand Prix(400 cubes, totalled it :'(

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
those lights don't turn on in the US Spec GTI.

The way they will turn on is if you're driving in the daylight (when you have your DRLs on) and pull the turn signal stalk for the high beam flash. It's called a "flash to pass".

Other than that, to do anything with them you need VAG COM.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kid!!! O0 I checked the owners manual and it didn't seem to explain it that way. I'll look it over again. That's the one function I didn't
check! Figures though doesn't it? I'm new to VW's and this forum has already been a great resource. Talk to ya'll later!!

·
Registered
842 Posts
We have a new 08 too, and we were trying to figure it out. In Canada the DRL's are always on, so when I flash the outer lamps flash, not the inner ones. The only way to get those in board lights to flash was to pull back on the stalk when PARKED - essentially useless. Strange feature - it is like men having nipples. [fish] Some sort of VW sharing / evolution of parts.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Uncle dude,
Just checked it out, and my US spec '08 functions the same. They only work when car is in park with engine off and you pull back on the stalk. Guess they'd be good for flashing your server at the local A&W!! It would be interesting to try and replace them with additional rallye style driving lights.

Go Tribe!! Rock the Sox!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts