Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am hoping someone can shed some light on something I need clarity on. I am going to be replacing and upgrading all moving parts on the front suspension. One of the things I want to do in the process in upgrade the lower control arms. Do they make a direct fit lower control arm that is Aluminum or Forged steel? I am aware that a company makes steel Tubular replacement but they do not come with any sort of bushing for ride dampening. I am not wanting to build a rally race car but I would like a little more performance or upgrade from the stock stamped sheet metal control arms.

I have been trying to research if an MK4 R32 control arm would be a direct fit for my MK4 GTI 1.8T. However, based on what I have read there is no way to mount the stabilizer bar to an R32 Control Arm.. I have also read that its possible to use TT control arms but there are other modifications that must be made as well. I really want to keep it simple!!!

If there a simple solution to what I am trying to achieve? Is there a direct fit Alloy or Forged control arm available on the market that anyone is aware of???

Your input would be greatful....Thanks

·
Registered
194 Posts
is there a reason why you want to go for forged or aluminum control arms?

Yes the linkage for the r32 is different from the gti. BUT some of the r32/tt arms came with a blank where you can drill a hole, tap it, then screw the stabilizer bolt to it.

this arm obviously is tubular, but you can see the blank that you drill sticking out of the right side of the arm. it will look the same way on the r32 arm. not all arms have it, only some. remember there is no left/right control arm... they are reversible. so that will make your search for the right control arm a little easier.

ALSO, check to see if the ball joint holes for the r32 arm are same as the regular mk4 arm. i THINK its different, but i could be wrong. you should double check on that.

Personally i think just upgrading the control arm bushings to the r32 control arm bushing is enough unless you're trying to build a track car or something. the main difference you will feel is that the car will feel more solid during hard braking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To answer your question fo why I am wanting to go with Aluminum or Forged is a couple of reasons. #1 is weight, although it would only be a few pounds gain. #2 Is because I think its a cleaner look....

Thanks for your input.. I may end up just going with the R32 bushing kit as you suggested because I dont think there is a direct fit upgrade control arm for the MK4

·
Registered
194 Posts
well the weight will be unsprung, and reducing unsprung weight is a bigger difference than reducing sprung weight. so it would help more than you would think. But yea i think you should just go for either a poly bushing or solid rubber r32 bushing. there are several DIY's on it on google. there's a video somewhere around 30 mins long of a guy showing how to do it. you will eventually find it if u do a google search on mk4 r32 control arm bushings. Personally i didn't bother with the front cylindrical bushings, i just replaced the rear round donut shaped bushing since that's the one that actually takes most of the load. U can do the front bushing if u have time though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts