Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Jus got my evomms cai..i wanna install now. tried lookin quickly from some good install instructions but didnt find any.
heard some say you gotta take off bumper and battery but some also said you don't..
I'll prolly get flammed cuz i really didnt do a good search but oh well.
ps. what tools and sizes are to be used? also, there is no opening for the breather hose, i thought there should be.
im missin my socket:mad:

edit found this nice diy http://www.autotech.com/instructions/i202401-404.pdf

still welcome to answer other questions, and put any input :)
everything that could go wron went wrong. still not done
:(im frustrated, had big issues def coild use help

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i got the car taken apart no duct,stock box,battery. but that right corner where in pics i see that cai's go; consists of frame/baterry tray,wires/harness, and back of headlights. theres is no opening for the the massive tube to go in

·
Registered
19 Posts
i got the car taken apart no duct,stock box,battery. but that right corner where in pics i see that cai's go; consists of frame/baterry tray,wires/harness, and back of headlights. theres is no opening for the the massive tube to go in
Well you need to show a picture of that because I just ordered my CAI and right now I just have A K&N filter there and there is a space big enough for a tube to go just have to move the wires a bit.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I took the four bolts out but th i cant budge the large square battery tray. it seem to me that the frame also shares as the battery tray.or is it not one??i got now room in that corner,thers wires/harness, n also that tray/frame unit..postdiy instruction if u find some,or a vid

i took off the plastic. but seems like. the battery/tray sat on the frame...no opening in that front right corner

·
Registered
2,641 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
thanks, but that doesnt help..i have all that removed, n there is no opening...

im sore, and about to reconnect battery (so i can close sunroof,and windows, than jus attach the cone filter, with large maf that was included, to my TIP...

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
thanks, but that doesnt help..i have all that removed, n there is no opening...

im sore, and about to reconnect battery (so i can close sunroof,and windows, than jus attach the cone filter, with large maf that was included, to my TIP...
Can you take a picture of the inside corner where the battery and light housing are? There should be an opening by where the fender meets frame. As long as all the ducting from the OEM airbox is removed it should be visible.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sorry man put back battery.. and now jus attacjrd the cone filter to couplers and TIP. i hoping a friends comes tommorwo..havent even ran the car. about to do that now

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
sorry man put back battery.. and now jus attacjrd the cone filter to couplers and TIP. i hoping a friends comes tommorwo..havent even ran the car. about to do that now
The TIP is going to be alot harder than your CAI install. Good luck man. With a buddy mine took over 3 hours to get the sh*t on.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sorry i didnt mean im insalling a TIP.. i put back my original maf to the tip then jus directly attched the new cone filter to a coupler..so for now i have a short ram.a very ghetto one...heres another issue.. the breather filter,the same ones that are in all the stores at the rice,build your own cheap intake section..well it doesnt fit the breather hose.so i tapped it..it looks ghetto,but i ran the car,n it ran fine..it is possible that it could fall though..n not sure what would happen

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
sorry i didnt mean im insalling a TIP.. i put back my original maf to the tip then jus directly attched the new cone filter to a coupler..so for now i have a short ram.a very ghetto one...heres another issue.. the breather filter,the same ones that are in all the stores at the rice,build your own cheap intake section..well it doesnt fit the breather hose.so i tapped it..it looks ghetto,but i ran the car,n it ran fine..it is possible that it could fall though..n not sure what would happen
Silva has a setup like what you're talking about. I honestly am running my Spectre P5 filter right off the MAF too. Not so ghetto if it's clean and supported. I didn't even get a filter for the breather hose. Most people pick up the 3/4" filter and pop it INTO the breather hose. I'm not a fan of this as it reduces the size of the breather hose but it seems to work fine.

Did you pick up an aftermarket TIP and larger MAF housing with the CAI?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the guy who i bought the evoms cai had TIP and a larger maf.He included the maf.well i got the deal for cheaps, i ll most likely do the sri like what i have for now, in the winter.yep i bought spectre couplers and da breather yesterdY.theyr all small thouhgh for the intake,larger maf.the guy i bought cai from threw in an nice coupler,large,andlonger than parts stores ones.i wish i could find more of those.im not sure i compeletly undrstand wat ur talkin about,for the breather.im interested,cuzi need a solution,right no its held on by tape.thanks for the input btw

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
the guy who i bought the evoms cai had TIP and a larger maf.He included the maf.well i got the deal for cheaps, i ll most likely do the sri like what i have for now, in the winter.yep i bought spectre couplers and da breather yesterdY.theyr all small thouhgh for the intake,larger maf.the guy i bought cai from threw in an nice coupler,large,andlonger than parts stores ones.i wish i could find more of those.im not sure i compeletly undrstand wat ur talkin about,for the breather.im interested,cuzi need a solution,right no its held on by tape.thanks for the input btw
No worries about the input, man. That's what we're here for. This ^ is kinda like "Broken Engresh" though and needs to be elaborated on.

As far as the breather hose, does the CAI tube have an attachment for the Breather Hose? Otherwise most people will take the rubber attachment on a 3/4" breather filter and shove it inside of the black plastic breather hose then secure it with a clamp. I personally don't like this method but it serves it's purpose I guess. If you can snap a picture of the inside of your engine bay facing towards the battery corner from over the engine I can see what you mean by no hole for the intake. There should be some room over there. If you got the TIP, larger MAF, and CAI to match, that's a pretty sick deal of a grab. TIP are usually around $200, CAI are around $150, and larger MAF's can run upwards of $150 as well.

Pictures will greatly help this operation.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
im done, met up wit a friend in a parking lot, jus had to break the plastic in the corner by the headlight..lol i did not get a tip.i just ended up using my stock maf also.i wanna sell the larger maf, but there is mesh only on one side of of it.the woosh sounds pretty cool..i dont think my english is broken i just had alotta things to get done (like gettin car on the road, and doing papers for school) i was kinda of stressed.Also, i talk about a lott of different things in one post

oh and as far as the "breather" situation goes, this intake has no place for the hose.and the lil breather filter doesnt fit so, i taped it. but will think of better solutions...ugh, i cant believe how much of a big deal this turned to be.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
im done, met up wit a friend in a parking lot, jus had to break the plastic in the corner by the headlight..lol i did not get a tip.i just ended up using my stock maf also.i wanna sell the larger maf, but there is mesh only on one side of of it.the woosh sounds pretty cool..i dont think my english is broken i was jus had alotta things to get done (like gettin car on the road, and doing papers for school) i was kinda of stressed.Also, i talk about a lott of different things in one post

oh and as far as the "breather" situation goes, this intake has no place for the hose.and the lil breather filter doesnt fit so, i taped it. but will think of better solutions...ugh, i cant believe how much of a big deal this turned to be.
Lol I see that. Glad to hear the CAI is in. Watch out for puddles as hydro lock is a risk with CAI. Mesh on only one side is okay with the MAF. You'll need a different TIP to see the best gains out of your intake. Also upgrading the charged piping on the turbo would be a good idea for flow. Try to think about your intake, turbo, intercooler, and exhaust as one system.

Intake has your filter which brings in fresh air
Turbo compresses the air in the compressor housing
Charged piping leads compressed air to the intercooler from the turbo
Intercooler drops the hot compressed air temp and furthers the density of the air
More charged piping directs cold compressed air to the engine throttle body and through the cylinders
Engine spews out the exhaust into the turbine housing which drives the turbo
Exhaust escapes from the turbo through the downpipe and catback.

With this understanding you can get to at least stage 2 with the best power out of the stock turbo.

Common mods under this pretense are:

Cold Air Intake or Ram Air intake
High Flow Turbo Inlet Pipe
High Flow Discharge Pipe Kit (maintains stock intercooler)
Upgraded Side Mount Intercooler or Front Mount Intercooler (includes discharge pipes and charged pipes to throttle body)
High Flow Intake Manifold (usually mated to a large port 1.8t AEB head which needs programming)
High Flow Down Pipe (2.5" or 3" with or without High Flow Catalytic Converter)
High Flow Cat Back Exhaust (2.5" or 3" with or without Resonator, Muffler)

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i know i looked real noobish with the cai install,but i know all that stuff^, and theories of everything.its jus when i work on cars like mine 4sure; anything that can go wrong usually does.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.