Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm a new MK3 GTI owner. I bought the car about 3 months ago with 95k on it and every thing worked fine until recently. My check engine light came on about 4 days ago. I looked around the engine but didn't see anything wrong. I drove it for a couple of days and nothing seemed wrong. Today I started the car and everything was fine until the car jumped a little then I lost some power. I checked the engine again and I hear a clicking noise. The engine also vibrates more than usual and it seems to be running rich from what I can tell. I know because I went through a quarter of a tank in only about 25 miles. There is a strong odor coming from the tail pipe but there is no smoke. It doesn't smell sweet so I don't think its the coolent. I think it could be a bad spark plug or maybe a bad fuel injector? My repair manuel also says it could be the EGR but it doesnt really idel funny. The CEL is on all the time not just when I move the car. I checked the cap and rotor but it looks fine. I want to look at the spark plugs but its gonna have to wait until the weekend because I have to spend a day on it because I have to take off the intake manifold or so I think. Any suggestions? Anything would help. My friends are all JDM guys so they can only help so much. I would really appreciate it the help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was another posibliity I thought off. My friend seems to think that one of the cylinders isn't firing correctly which would explain the power loss and the wierd vibrations. Would having a bad o2 sensor make the car lose power or jump while accelerating? I'll diffenetly put that on my check list for this weekend.

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
has the timing belt been done. could of skipped a tooth.

2.0? you can do the spark plugs without taking the intake off if its a 2.0 (dont know about the vr6). the plugs are angle so that you can get the socket into the plug.

and get it scanned

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
has the timing belt been done. could of skipped a tooth.

2.0? you can do the spark plugs without taking the intake off if its a 2.0 (dont know about the vr6). the plugs are angle so that you can get the socket into the plug.

and get it scanned
Yes but if the wires are caked on and have sat there for a long time, hard to pull the wires off without taking the manifold off.

Go to Autozone and have them scan the car for free. That will tell you what you need to know, if they can't tell you anything when it comes to the codes, just come back here. I recently tore my mk3 completely apart so pretty good with the cars...

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Thanks guys I'll check it out tomorrow. I'll update you guys as soon as I know. You guys r awesome!
Just an FYI, if you have to pull the manifold off just pick up a valve cover gasket from the parts store. It will come with a gasket for the uim to lim. And plugs are pretty cheap. If you need a new cap and plugs, I have a spare set. lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guess what guys,

I went to autozone to see if they could run a test but the state of california does not allow them to check it out. Also they can't even let me borrow one to do it myself. I hate california and its automotive restrictions. Any other ideas? Maybe other theories as to what could be the problem?

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
So at idle it runs rough? Try unplugging the MAF while the car is running. I have a bad MAF and car runs kinda rough. I drive it unplugged lol

If you unplug it and it doesn't change how the car runs, seems like your problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.