Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else here fry an RX-8 yet? I've killed 3 in 5 months. Lets hear it for torque.

·
Registered
321 Posts
GTiJorgeGTi said:
they have big engines. but loss a bunch of hp when they hit the tires.. i live next to 2 of them. they dont wanna race me.
Big engines??? Where do you get that? The Renesis is only 1.3L. That's tiny. The engine on my motorcycle is almost that big.

·
Registered
263 Posts
rx8 is more about balance and handling. they arent fun down a straight line, but when ur in the turns, its awesome.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I still say it's a letdown. Mazda tries to hype it up as a sports car. Don't get me wrong, handling is just as important as anything else, but when that's the only thing the car has going for it, don't advertise it as a sports car! Speaking of handling, I want a Lotus Exige. Next purchase! ;)

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
i want an ariel atom....that thing looks crazy, have any of you seen jeremy clarksons test drive one on top gear. Freaking amazin...not even a CBR could keep up around the track

·
Registered
263 Posts
FastAddict said:
I still say it's a letdown. Mazda tries to hype it up as a sports car. Don't get me wrong, handling is just as important as anything else, but when that's the only thing the car has going for it, don't advertise it as a sports car! Speaking of handling, I want a Lotus Exige. Next purchase! ;)
a letdown? i wouldnt go that far. its a practical sports car, and if it wasnt, it wouldnt have just won in a car and driver comparison after being out for 4 years. sure it lacks the kick in the ass a 350z or mustang has, but it makes up for it with perfect 50/50 weight distribution and an awesome 9000 rpm redline, although it could use a little bit more torque. thats where the tt kit comes in.....

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Okay so stock for stock which will win?

I'm scared I've buried myself into a hole with my "cocky-ness" I told some guy at a friend's job that I could beat his RX-8 with my left foot tied (a little DSG humor there).

His is manual, which i know has more power than the automatic RX-8, and mine is DSG.

I have no mods and neither does he.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah man,
You shouldn't have any trouble at ALL....RX-8's are really slow...and I'm not just being a cocky GTI owner either...They have 169 lb-ft of TQ....that's horrible. they'll definately take us out in the twisty's, but a DSG equipped GTI will TORCH an RX-8 off the line...stock for stock...further more, mod wise there really isn't anything out there for and RX-8 except going Forced induction with a turbo and spending upwards of 6K. So I think you'll be safe unless you know for sure that your buddy has put that kind of money into his mazda. YOU WILL SMOKE HIM...I promise, and if I'm wrong, you can send me a dog turd in the mail.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had an RX8 before my GTI. The RX8 is a very good sports car. Is fun to drive every day and has excellent handling even with 4 adults in! ;D However, like is noted before is very tight in the back, and not as smooth over pups (as the GTI) because it sits lower. Also the low torque and mismall HP make the car a little slow. If I wan't to modify it and and get upwards of 300hp I had to spend easlu 10k and thats on parts only! And finally the MPG SUCK. The best I got it was 19MPG driving like an old lady!! This is the reasons I drive a GTI. For the money NOTHING else can come closed! O0 O0 Endless upgrades (pretty cheep!) room for four adults (and I don't have to move my seat for them because I have the 4 door!), pleasure to drive all day, FAST, economical, and German Engineering! What more to I have to say!!!! ;D ; 8) 8)

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
mapssi said:
I had an RX8 before my GTI. The RX8 is a very good sports car. Is fun to drive every day and has excellent handling even with 4 adults in! ;D However, like is noted before is very tight in the back, and not as smooth over pups (as the GTI) because it sits lower. Also the low torque and mismall HP make the car a little slow. If I wan't to modify it and and get upwards of 300hp I had to spend easlu 10k and thats on parts only! And finally the MPG SUCK. The best I got it was 19MPG driving like an old lady!! This is the reasons I drive a GTI. For the money NOTHING else can come closed! O0 O0 Endless upgrades (pretty cheep!) room for four adults (and I don't have to move my seat for them because I have the 4 door!), pleasure to drive all day, FAST, economical, and German Engineering! What more to I have to say!!!! ;D ; 8) 8)
did you gave the manual transmission or automatic?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did anybody see the top gear episode were they were comparing to the audi tt. The audi got a better time around the track then the rx-8. whichi is kind fo wierd cause mazda hypes it up by saying perfect weight distubution and perfect handeling.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah, I've also seen that episode. I don't know how that happened, although the New TT is a pretty superb car. I test drove one, albeit the 3.2 quattro with DSG. the car is a lot of fun, not much different from the R32 as expected. The interior fit and finish is nothing short of superb. and it's got a magnetic auto adjusting suspension, which is VERY cool. I still didn't think the track time would be faster than an RX-8 though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts