My Fast GTi banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my GTI 4 days ago, loved it the first 2 days...the next 2...have been a little frustrating.

Before I picked up the car, i asked them to make sure all TSBs and all software updates had been installed. I get the car...lo and behold..no launch controll. I put in the service request for that. then I notice...my satelite radio isn't working. The deck is activated and all looks well...but no sound from the speakers

now both of these problems...i was fine with. No worries...just take it in and have them fix it.

on my way home from work, the MFD started to fritz out. The display went backwards, upside down, turned all snowy, turned off, came back on, had vertical and horrizontal lines all over it. I got scared...pulled over, turnd the car off then on again..and still there.

So i drive it imidiately to the dealer...and they looked at me funny when I told them what happened (by the time i got there, the display was back to normal). Set up a service for tomorrow to get it looked at.

Has anyone seen or heard of the MFD doing this? any ideas on what it could be?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah...thats what I mean...the VW tech caled it an MFI when I was talking to him. Must have poisoned my mind. Fixed now

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hmm . . . that's interesting. Can you let us know what the resolution for that is? I've never heard of that happening.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Had the MFD screen turn upside down once, and my wife was in the passenger side at the time. It was one of those double take things where you look back and it was right again. I thought I was goin' nuts, but my wife saw it too somehow. Hasn't happened since though.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah...this went on for like 10 minutes. Taking it to the shop tonight. no idea how long it will be under tho :'(

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well...jsut got word from the service department, and she'l be down for a couple of days.

My salesman called me earlier and said that everything was done and i'll be getting the car back today. Aparently they took the MFD thing as a fluke...til it happened to them when they turned the car on. Now, they have to replace the whole instrument cluster. and aparently, when they do that, all of the keys have to be reprogrammed. Of course...the cluster needs to be ordered. The sales guy said it should only take a day to get it in. We shall see if it actually fixes the problem.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yeah I read through all the tech docs, this is a new one nothing out there on this.......so you are prob one of the few guiene pigs to figure out how to fix the actual problem.....a new cluster should fix the problem since it's all contained in the one unit/area.....

I guess only time will tell......maybe a day or two :)

·
Registered
842 Posts
lumpypumpkin said:
I picked up my GTI 4 days ago, loved it the first 2 days...the next 2...have been a little frustrating.

Before I picked up the car, i asked them to make sure all TSBs and all software updates had been installed. I get the car...lo and behold..no launch controll. I put in the service request for that. then I notice...my satelite radio isn't working. The deck is activated and all looks well...but no sound from the speakers

now both of these problems...i was fine with. No worries...just take it in and have them fix it.

on my way home from work, the MFD started to fritz out. The display went backwards, upside down, turned all snowy, turned off, came back on, had vertical and horrizontal lines all over it. I got scared...pulled over, turnd the car off then on again..and still there.

So i drive it imidiately to the dealer...and they looked at me funny when I told them what happened (by the time i got there, the display was back to normal). Set up a service for tomorrow to get it looked at.

Has anyone seen or heard of the MFD doing this? any ideas on what it could be?
Has your dealer ever heard of Pre Delivery Inspection?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No idea. Even if they did, it wouldnt have mattered. We didnt catch the satelite issue untill i activated the deck. The launch controll doesent seem like an isolated issue. and as far as the MFD goes....it was a completely random thing. it worked perfectly when i picked up the car. it has worked perfectly since...except for the 3 or 4 times it went on the fritz. I dont blame them. The dealer has treated me well. My work shuttle was a '07 Audi TT 2.0T w/DSG ...and let me drive instead of my salesman.

Honestly...after driving the TT, it feels EXACTLY like the GTI. Same engine, same transmission. only thing different in the feel...is the lack of visibility on the TT. Other than that...same exact driving experience (except for the people turning their heads to look at the car). makes me feel that much better about my purchase. kinda makes me feel sorry for the people who paid $10k more for the same driving experience.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've always felt the TT was overrated, in my opinion. Especially after they had to put the spoiler on it :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts