My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into my a GTI. There is 1 for sale in my area but im not sure if it is over priced or if it is a good deal. It is a 1998 GTI. The seller is firm on 5000$. It has 105,000 miles on it. It has a few modifications, exhaust, intake, chip, euro style headlights, kamo grille, 2 sets of rims, a head unit is being given away with it but not yet installed. What do you guys think?? Anything in paticular that i should look for when I go to check it out?? Any help would be great! thanks

·
Registered
635 Posts
overpriced if it was in excellent condition and that means perfect history no fender bender or dent or ding perfect paint tires the works it still wouldnt fetch 5k, and with those mods you know hes most likey driven that car rough for a major part of its life...which would mean parts being replaced a whole lot...I'd stay clear of it...if your stuck on the car though get its VIN number pay 20 bucks for a carfax report on carfax.com and see it's history. The car is probably in fair condition which would only fetch 3800 but as I said if you really want the car get a carfax report and go to www.kbb.com and put the info in and print it of and shove it in his face...he's trying to rip you off...hope this helps and good luck finding a good deal!

also check under the hood look for cracked or rotten hoses...look under the car for anything odd looking such as rust check for puddles anywhere around the car (to see if the car is leaking some kinda fluid) check the tire wear...you'd hate to buy the car and then pay alot of money (I'm talking 1300 for awesome tires) look for rips or tears in the upholstery the roof, if it has a sunroof or moonroof see if it works...possibly see if it may leak in a rain...take it for a spin do a 100 point inspection lol take it from me i have a 1997 Audi A6 and its awesome but euro cars can be finicky creatures lol

·
Registered
857 Posts
I would say it's no bueno, it's almost 10 years old now and mods like that means that it has been driven HARD. You don't want to buy a car that's been in any kind of accident, and you can't trust everybody out there. If you do go take a look at it, make sure you do your own thorough inspection of the car, make the seller think you know everything about it, maybe you'll scare him a bit and get him to admit something he didn't want you to know.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

Also, please only post once, and try to put it in the right place.

can a moderator please merge all three

·
Registered
635 Posts
didn't I just say all that? lol also look on www.ebaymotors.com or www.autotrader.com...you may also want to check out the actual VW website and look for dealers in your area it will list all if any and just stop by and you can even check most dealers inventory on the internet and check them out via the web or in person...have fun if you need help just scream I'm sure someone will come to help...lol or just ask me I have nothing better to do...oh man im so bored...

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Hahaha, about a year ago I sold a 1997 Jetta that was pretty much base model, save for a couple features and alloy rims, for $7000Cdn. It also had a crack in the bumper and a couple dents here and there. I think used VWs sell for a lot more here for some reason. A 1998 GTI in good condition for $5000 would be a steal!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Take it to a local Auto shop, and have them inspect the entire car from top to bottom. They'll tell you if its in good shape or not. But 105,000 miles is a lot! Especially for a Mk 4 GTi. And as other people have said, with mods like that he probably drives it realy hard. If you can afford it, there are plenty other Mk 4 GTi's out there for less than 10k. Look for something with less mileage. Atleast that is what I would do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.