My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what size 16inch rim will fit my 05 gti? it came with 17inch arista's? i think. i'm trying to order some kind of black rim or black w/ polished lip rims that are 16's but i don't know what else to look for, so if you guys could tell me the wheel size and/or tire sizes for a 16inch wheels/tires that will fit my car that would be a great help. thanks in advance.

ps my car is stock suspension. please help me out, cause i been using the search feature for two hours to no reward. thanks again.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have no freakin idea of sizing of tires and wheels, but since no one else has commented I'll take a stab. The way it usually works is no one will want to answer for fear of being wqring, but they will jump all over my answer to call me full of crap. May be one of the two responses will help.

All you need to worry about is the bolt pattern. If you are starting from scratch (I assume becasue you currently have 17", buy any 16" you like that has a bolt pattern to match your hub, and buy tires to match the wheels. Call your service rep at the dealer, they will know that.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
33 Posts
well there are a couple numbers when you look at tires. for my mk4 stock 16 rim i a 215 which is how wide the tire is or how much touches the ground the a 55 series which is the side wall of the tire or how much u can see from the side of the car a low profile tire would be more lik 30-45 series then a 16 which is what size rim it will fit. then a letter for mine i have falkens zr the z is for the rating of the tire it is z rated which is more performance. so to awnser your question like previoiusly stated find the right bolt pattern then your local shop will give you some tire options. personaly if ur gunna go after market i would get at least a 17 because this way you can get like a 17x7.5 which will give you much better tractions as far as tire size for a 17 go with like a 45 series. but if u still want to stick with 16 go with 50 or 55 because it will look funny with such a huge gap i would really suggest going with 17 it will look so much better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You've probably already looked around, but since I'm new to this car myself, I'll offer this: there's plenty of general information available about upsizing, speed ratings, bolt patterns on specific vehicles, and such around the internet. Do a google search, or try discounttire.com or tirerack.com. I once found a website with a little program that showed you how your existing wheel/tire combo would match up to whatever else you selected. You'd type in the current tire size (i.e. 205/55R16, which is what is on my 02 GTI, and I believe that's the factory size) and the new one and it would basically draw two sets of circles. Don't know where that's located though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the help guys. i ended up going with edge racing. i got sportmaxx 002's. 16x7. 225/55/16's. they helped me out a lot. told me what my bolt pattern was, mounted and balanced, and got to my house a day earlier than they told me the arrival was. i'm extremely happy and i reccomend that if you want some wheels and tires go to edgeracing.com. they test fit all their wheels on each specific vehicle. if they say it'll fit then it will. they even provide you with lug bolts too. very pleased. O0

later,

newb

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.