Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know what is the maximum PSI your going to get out of the stock turbo... i mean i want to know what is the highest but still retaining driveability without any tuning i am getting 12.5 or something and i have one of those boost control systems and thats at max with no mods or anything so i would like to know what is everybody else pushing out of this stock turbo for the 1.8t and would the diode mod be something to reconsider for a quick DIY and also.... a couple of my friends are picking up GTI's my friend just got a rave green 02 GTI and not sure on the specs but you will see him on here and my other friend got an 01 so yeah its funny to see all these high school kids with vee-dubs! >:D We are considering to make a car club name.... any names out there for the car club i was thinking.... Mean Rabbit Team...LOL... any better suggestions???

·
Registered
18 Posts
As in no mods whatsoever except the MBC? From what I'm aware the stock boost is ~7psi (correct me if I'm wrong) so wouldn't pushing 12.5 be kind of dangeous without any upgrades? I'm not talking about anything as serious as headwork, but at least some high-grade hoses/clamps to handle that kind of pressure.

Is this a daily driver or a purely track/weekend car?

·
Registered
33 Posts
actually i would not worry about it i've talked to guys pushin 15 and its fine. these turbos on german cars are verry good and can handle a lil extra kick sure stronger clamps wouldn't hurt but i wouldn't worry bout it until you start getting into higher level mods. and yes you are correct about 7-8 psi.

·
Registered
17 Posts
well i put a auto meter boost gauge in my 05, and i'm running 10 psi constant and 12 peak. and i have no boost controller whatsoever, and a 47 year old women owned the car before me so that makes me think that the boost level is the stock one. could someone elaborate on stock levels.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would agree that the stock psi for a MKVI is 7-8. You have an 05" which i believe is a bit quicker. I don't know for a fact, but the psi could be different on a 01 then a 05.
I have a MBC and it was hitting 15. Very unhealthy so i took it off. I think you should get some mods before you use the manual turbo. There is no real reason for it at the moment if your bone stock.
Maybe a CAI, FMIC, Chip, then i would think more about the MBC. But i'm still learning as well. So good luck.
And i also have a 01 Rave Green Gti. I love it!

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
I know my AWP motor hits 10.6 lbs stock... I believe the AWD was hittin 9lbs maybe a lil more. I know once it's chipped the AWD goes to about 15lbs on the stock turbo but with different fuel and timing maps.

http://www.pitt.edu/~vek1/VALSITE/18Term_Files/18Terminology_Main.htm#AWD

Scroll down and it shows the boost in bar for each motor.

And basically, .6 bar x 14.7 (for those who don't know what 14.7 is, it is equal to 1 bar but in psi) = 8.82 psi

·
Registered
52 Posts
Stock hits around 7-8. I had a MBC that a guy put on before i owned the car, and i took it off. Thats just trouble. I would push 10 max. You don't want to push your turbo to hard. I would do upgrades if you want to push your PSI. I have APR chip, FMIC, CAI, and i'm pushing 15 PSI. it still makes me worry. She's my baby haha i don''t want to hurt her.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
If you get the n75 valve there are records of people spiking and holding in the 20s... I can't hold 10 without blowin hoses or pipes off the intercooler

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
does the mkv make 7-8 psi as well? sorry to jack the thread, but I asked the technicians and no one can answer me??

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Best bet is to hook up a boost gauge. My guess is you probably boost about what a chip does for the mkiv's (about 15lbs) Seeing as how my car has 180bhp from the factory and the new ones are rated at 200bhp, most chips for the mkiv claim 210 or so and thats about 17lbs of boost. Again, best bet is a boost gauge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.