Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been getting these three codes when I plug in the diagnostic checker; VAF, MAF, and Fuel Air Metering. My VW is hesitating and sputters, it also likes to completely shut off every once in a while as I'm coming to a stop or stopped at a light. A year ago I put in a new MAF sensor meter and still the check engine light came on. Next I changed the oxygen sensors and just changed the MAF sensor meter again. Has anyone had this issue and know how to fix it?

·
Super Moderator
10,066 Posts
so u already changed the maf and new o2 sensors ..... i dunno if spraying the maf out with brake cleaner will help any .... also is ur car tuned any and if so are the plugs gaped to the correct setpoint ??

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
so u already changed the maf and new o2 sensors ..... i dunno if spraying the maf out with brake cleaner will help any .... also is ur car tuned any and if so are the plugs gaped to the correct setpoint ??
Brake cleaner will RUIN a maf. They make an appropriate cleaning agent.

If you have an ohmmeter check the voltages on the maf plug and make sure the ecu is sending the right info.

·
Super Moderator
10,066 Posts
worked fine on my mk5 maf

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have an ohmmeter. What are they? What do you mean by checking the voltage and ecu sending the right info? What does ECU stand for?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Holy ait....game over, I'm getting kfc mofo... And who, check and make sure your screws on your maf are tight, take it down and clean it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
how do I run a search to find out what the parameter should be? Do you mean an internet search?

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
how do I run a search to find out what the parameter should be? Do you mean an internet search?
Yea internet search. Best bet is to go over to the forums at www.vwvortex.com and search there. Odds to you finding an answer are pretty high

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How do I measure what I am getting? Also, vwvortex doesn't have a SEARCH field. Anywhere else you know of that may have give me the answer?

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
awesome, thanks for all your help and explanation.
Wish I knew the numbers off the top of my head!

If the voltage turns out to be ok it may just be the maf. Where did you get your last one?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
From PGautoparts online. Item # 071906461B | 0280218017. Is there really much of a difference between the Bosch MAF and and OEM MAF?

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
From PGautoparts online. Item # 071906461B | 0280218017. Is there really much of a difference between the Bosch MAF and and OEM MAF?
There are literally over a dozen mafs for a 1.8t from bosch

1 - 20 of 20 Posts