Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a girl. I'm a law student. I drool over the GTI on a daily basis. I need to drive about 80 miles a day (40 up and 40 back) for my commute to class. I usually drive tired and with 500 things on my mind. I'm often stuck in traffic.

Problem? I've got about 25 grand burning a hole in my pocket, and I want a GTI. Only thing is, I kind of hate the idea of buying an Auto Trans (Even if it's DSG) on one. Does anyone here own one? Do they suck? Is it a waste to get a GTI with Auto? Will I hate myself?

I barely know how to drive manual, and I just don't know if I have the time to learn right now with all of the law work I have to do. I'm currently driving an old POS Chevy with automatic, and I've only ever driven Auto aside from the few times my brother let me drive his stick shift (back when he had one) when I was like 16.

What do you all think? Votes for either way? Did any of you learn on your GTI? I suspect learning on a car you care about is probably a bad idea...

-Sara

·
Registered
106 Posts
There are so many joys in driving this car, i can see it being an extremely rewarding experience regardless of your transmission type. Since you're regularly in traffic, the DSG seems like the perfect fit for you, not only do you get the car in it's fastest trim, but you also get the benefit of being able to put on your girlie makeup or whatever, while text messaging your girlfriends, and rocking out to your favorite tunes, all while zipping around the city.

I personally have a manual, but i have a company car that's auto for my commuting. The DSG is a win/win for you it sounds like.

If you do decide on the manual, it's not too tough to drive, for a manual, you'd get the hang of it, but I don't really understand why you would want a manual unless you were a real enthusiast of stick shifts... and since you really don't know how to drive one, i'd say the DSG is really going to make you happy.

My 2 cents... good luck and you'll definitely love the car either way.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Not being familiar with a manual is enough reason to get the DSG. This manual is crisp and fun, but pretty powerful to learn on. You'd be peeling out half the time and killing it the other half for at least a week. Owning a manual is the best way to get familiar with one, as you'll be forced to learn just to get yourself where you need to go, but I just don't think a brand-new GTI is the car for that. It's going to stress you out everytime you kill it, and nobody should be stressed about their GTI.

You drive often and in traffic, so the DSG is going to be a lot better for your needs there. Your left leg will thank you.

The DSG is nothing to be ashamed about buying. Unlike most automatics, it's a step up from the manual in quickness and in gas mileage. It's also as close to a manual as an automatic has ever gotten, so you can shift on the floor or on the paddles if you want to have a little bit of manual fun. It will be a completely different experience from your Chevy, believe me. :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
MrVvrroomm said:
Buy the GTI with the DSG, finish law school, get a good job, then buy one of these with a manual transmission.

and you compare the gti with that ;D i guess you dont like your fast :-\
______

i would say dsg for a girl with 500 thing in her mind....
dsg gives you more power. but it is your decision!!!

i am going to get a stick, i dont care if it is slower than dsg O0 thers something called tuning :p

*as many people in america dont exercise or walk, manual will be better! you use your left leg too. on auto your left leg is like useless(not good!!!)

·
Registered
749 Posts
B13 said:
and you compare the gti with that ;D i guess you dont like your fast :-\
______

i would say dsg for a girl with 500 thing in her mind....
dsg gives you more power. but it is your decision!!!

i am going to get a stick, i dont care if it is slower than dsg O0 thers something called tuning :p

*as many people in america dont exercise or walk, manual will be better! you use your left leg too. on auto your left leg is like useless(not good!!!)
Correction:
DSG does not give you more power; it gives you computer-controlled launch and lightning-fast shifts.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
The DSG is the best of both worlds... it's a manual that is shifted by the computer and it will work like an automatic.

:)

Go drive one O0

·
Registered
24 Posts
I got the manual and I enjoy every shift, but I always drove stick!!!!!!

I drive 120 miles every day, but it's a lot of highway. But if you do a lot of traffic and don't like manual I would tag on the extra dollars and get the DSG. I heard a lot of good stuff about it. 200 hp turbo is a sensitive little thing to learn on.

..Really - get the DSG, you'll love it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Dragon said:
The DSG is the best of both worlds... it's a manual that is shifted by the computer and it will work like an automatic.

:)

Go drive one O0
X2

·
Ex-Fahrenheit GTI Owner
1,312 Posts
DSG all the way!!!!

I used to have a Tiptronic in my Audi S4, but the DSG is ueber-superior.

Best tranny in the world!!!! (..and I don't mean the guy who dresses up as a woman down the street)

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
but there is somethin sooo sexy bout a girl driving stick...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You all are hilarious.

Tried out the DSG and it's pretty damn hot. The dealer let me take it out for a test drive by myself! Hah, being a girl has its perks, I guess. Probably figured I'd drive slow around the block... not take it on the highway and open it up like a lunatic. I didn't bring it back for an hour. 8)

Anyway, still stuck on the doors. I always have people piling into my car on the weekends, so I'm thinkin 4 doors is better, but honestly, I think with 4 doors it's kind of fug. :-\

Thoughts?

·
Ex-Fahrenheit GTI Owner
1,312 Posts
Honestly (and no disrespect to the 4-door GTI drivers) - VW should've never made the 4-door GTI.

The GTI is supposed to be a 2-door hatchback sportscar (or sportycar).

If anybody wanted 4 doors - they could've bought a Jetta GLI.

A true core GTI has to have 2 doors. - And because of the great forward sliding front seats, it's pretty easy to get in. Even my mother-in-law is able to get back in there and she is 75 years old.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Vegas Fahrenheit said:
Honestly (and no disrespect to the 4-door GTI drivers) - VW should've never made the 4-door GTI.

A true core GTI has to have 2 doors. - And because of the great forward sliding front seats, it's pretty easy to get in. Even my mother-in-law is able to get back in there and she is 75 years old.
You put your 75 year old mother in law in the back?! HAHA!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
kryptonkid07 said:
Vegas Fahrenheit said:

LOLOLOL i thought the same thing! hahahahahahahahahaa ;D

·
Ex-Fahrenheit GTI Owner
1,312 Posts
kryptonkid07 said:
Vegas Fahrenheit said:

The front seat is reserved for my FAST hahahahaha just kidding - My daughter always wants her to sit next to her, that's why. ;)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.