Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. When I first bought my GTI, i was sure I would chip it. I wanted to wait to put a few miles on it before I decided to make the investment. I am ready! I was talking with a friend, & he said I should just use a manual boost controller. I could build one myself for very cheap, or make the cheap investment of US$100-200 for one. He explained that I couldn't get caught and lose the warranty by doing it this way. I can just remove it whenever I need to take it in. Please help and let me know if a manual boost controller & turbo gauge is a good thing, or should I just get an apr chip if I am worried about the warranyt?

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Tornado_Red_MKV said:
Hey. When I first bought my GTI, i was sure I would chip it. I wanted to wait to put a few miles on it before I decided to make the investment. I am ready! I was talking with a friend, & he said I should just use a manual boost controller. I could build one myself for very cheap, or make the cheap investment of US$100-200 for one. He explained that I couldn't get caught and lose the warranty by doing it this way. I can just remove it whenever I need to take it in. Please help and let me know if a manual boost controller & turbo gauge is a good thing, or should I just get an apr chip if I am worried about the warranyt?
You could cause more issues with a manual boost controller, than chipping alone.

Another one stolen from Wikipedia:

Installing a boost controller in a vehicle that is already well tuned (such as a factory turbocharged car) may allow higher boost pressure than tolerable by the engine or turbocharger reducing life and reliability. Care should be taken to avoid exceeding the limits of any the engine systems components such as the engine block, fuel injectors, or engine management system. This is as true with boost control as it is with fuel and timing controls or any number of other engine system modifications.

In particular, users may find the extremely low cost and ease of adding a manual boost controller a particular draw for extra power at low cost compared to more comprehensive modifications. Users should carefully consider how installing any boost controller may affect and interact with existing complex engine management systems. Additional boost levels may not be tolerated by the existing turbocharger, causing faster wear. Fuel injectors or the fuel pump may not be able to deliver additional fuel needed for higher air flow and power of higher boost pressure. Or the engine management system may not be able to properly compensate for fuel or ignition timing, causing knock and/or engine failure.

So in other words, mickey mousing a boost controller could cause engine performance issues. The extra few hundred you spend on the APR may be well worth it in the long run. GIAC makes their software ready to be disabled by using the cruise control switch. REVO sells and add on that is a boost controller, mapping controller and security device that lets you lock the ECU.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
*APR is the one that turns off with the cruise controller, you have to get a flashloader and stock mode to turn the GIAC chip off**

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dragon said:
Tornado_Red_MKV said:
[size=8pt]Installing a boost controller in a vehicle that is already well tuned (such as a factory turbocharged car) may allow higher boost pressure than tolerable by the engine or turbocharger reducing life and reliability.

Don't all the chips also turn up the boost pressure? Therefore making additional wear and tear similar regardless of if I install a boost controller or a chip. ???

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Tornado_Red_MKV said:
Dragon said:
Tornado_Red_MKV said:
[size=8pt]Installing a boost controller in a vehicle that is already well tuned (such as a factory turbocharged car) may allow higher boost pressure than tolerable by the engine or turbocharger reducing life and reliability.

Don't all the chips also turn up the boost pressure? Therefore making additional wear and tear similar regardless of if I install a boost controller or a chip. ???

They do turn up the boost a bit, but this after they do some (thourough- I'd hope :p) testing on it... not just making a guess or just leaving a manual boost controler at full, which could lead to very premature failure.

Keep in mind, the smarter they make the car (and especially the ECU) it makes harder to just slap something on and have it work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That makes sense. Thanks for the info. It seemed a bit too good to be true, that I could get the same performance as an APR chip (about $900) compared to a purchased manual boost controller ($70) or a homemade one ($15).

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Tornado_Red_MKV said:
That makes sense. Thanks for the info. It seemed a bit too good to be true, that I could get the same performance as an APR chip (about $900) compared to a purchased manual boost controller ($70) or a homemade one ($15).
alright well this should put an end to a chip vs boost controller...
boost control will make you boost more but the timing of air and fuel will remain stock.
a chip will change the air and fuel ratio and all the timing and up the boost to work with the new timing.... im a little tipsy so if i did not explain myself well enough just let me know and ill try harder hah.

·
Registered
749 Posts
GTfly said:
Tornado_Red_MKV said:
boost control will make you boost more but the timing of air and fuel will remain stock.
a chip will change the air and fuel ratio and all the timing and up the boost to work with the new timing.... im a little tipsy so if i did not explain myself well enough just let me know and ill try harder hah.
Nope; even tipsy you make plenty sense. Although I doubt this will actually end anything.

·
Registered
285 Posts
GTfly said:
Tornado_Red_MKV said:
arent you 17? shame on you! ;D

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
manricky said:
GTfly said:
Tornado_Red_MKV said:
arent you 17? shame on you! ;D
18 actually... almost 19 (august 1st :D)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts